• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking i7-3930K on Asus P9X79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

multra

Registered
Hi guys,

I would very much appreciate some feedback, suggestions with my current overclock.

Mobo: Asus P9X79 Delux
CPU: i7 3930K
RAM: 16GB Corsair dominator 1866
Cooler: Corsair H100i

I am currently running stable at 4.6GHz with the following parameters:
Vcore min: 0.8~V when throttled down during idle
Vcore max: 1.400V full load
CPU ave cores temp min: 33C
CPU ave cores temp max: 68C

BIOS settings:
Using XMP profile for memory
BLCK: 100%
CPU Strap: untouched at Auto
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores at 46 as multiplier
CPU VCORE Voltage: +Offset at 0.05V
CPU VCCSA Voltage: Manual at 1.100
DRAM Voltage (CHA,CHB,CHC,CHD): 1.50V
CPU PPL Voltage: Auto
VTTCPU Voltage: 1.100

DIGI+ Power Control:
CPU LLC: Medium
CPU CC: 110%
VCCSA LLC: Regular
VCCSA CC: 110%
CPU Power Phase Control: Optimized
DRAM-AB,CD Current Capability: 110%
DRAM-AB,CD Phase Control: Optimized
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
Anti Surge Support: Disabled
All C states are enabled

Id like to go with sub 1.4V to reduce thermals but am hesitant to drop offset even further. Or perhaps to turn CPU LLC to Regular/ CPU CC to 100%?

Thank you,

The name of the game is to reach a clock with the lowest stable voltage. Are you there or can you lower it? Seems like it's up to you to test!

Being notice in this overclocking regard, I am curious whether any of the settings i've outlined above are a waste or perhaps I omitted something. What other people get for Vcore voltages with their similar setup and same 4.6GHz. I know it is different for everyone since CPU chips come in various qualities but I would appreciate a reference point:(

Like should I be playing with only +offset & CPU LLC at the same time, or best to stick to one of them.
Any advice is appreciated:)

Last edited:
That is voltage is a bit higher than average for that clock.

You can use offset and llc, sure. :)

As far as what or what not to chamge, typically it's just vcore and multiplier. LLC if needed. Otherwose, auto would be fine for any other setting.

Thanks,
I'll try leaving all of the DIGI+ settings on AUTO and see how that goes.

I turned all DIGI+ settings to defaults and now only play with the offset. I managed to go down to 1.345ish volts (full load) but will try lower it even further to lower the thermals.
I tried pushing the system to 4.8GHz yesterday with vcore at 1.392v (offset of +0.005) at full load. It performed fine in games but froze during stress test (AIDA64). I am assuming it is starving?
Is vcore of 1.4v generally OK for 4.8GHz?

Many thanks!

I wouldn't go much higher than 1.45v for 24/7 honestly. As far as what voltage is OK for 4.8Ghz, that isn't terrible, but again, every CPU is different..so it is what it is.

I wouldn't go much higher than 1.45v for 24/7 honestly. As far as what voltage is OK for 4.8Ghz, that isn't terrible, but again, every CPU is different..so it is what it is.

Thanks,
So you are saying you've seen sub 1.4v for 4.8GHz? Seems like I won't be able to achieve stability sub 1.4v but I am pretty sure I won't be hitting 1.45v at all unless I go beyond 4.8GHz.
I also have the system throttle down to 1200GHz when idle with vcore getting as low as 0.8~v which should be ok for 24/7. I only use this rig for gaming during couple of hours in the evening and it is mostly idle all other time. (talk about under utilization:))

Yes, we have seen sub 1.4v for 4.8GHz.

What I would do in your shoes is to set it to 1.35v, and see what your max clock is and go from there.

Yes, we have seen sub 1.4v for 4.8GHz.

What I would do in your shoes is to set it to 1.35v, and see what your max clock is and go from there.

Great thanks, I'll try that.
I apologize for this stupid question but I am using offset instead of a manual static vcore value. I am assuming if I use a manual static vcore value instead of offset, my CPU will not be able to throttle down during idle?
is that a correct assumption?
I also do not understand what this offset value is added to, what baseline frequency.

My i ask why all this Offset thingy?

Why not do it using Manual settings, sorry but Offset does my head in lol!!

Ajay.

My i ask why all this Offset thingy?

Why not do it using Manual settings, sorry but Offset does my head in lol!!

Ajay.

The way I understood while reading about, and this very well maybe incorrect, is that offset would work best If wanted to have my system throttle down during idle to reduce thermals. Am i dead wrong? I am trying to maximize performance under utilization and minimize power consumption when not in use.

You can use offset, or manual. Its simply a choice. Like Ajay, Its easier to use manual, no adding. LOL

That said, If you want to use manual and have the voltage/clocks drop, keep your power performance profile to balanced. ;)

CORRECT look if you run a set voltage on a CPU its not gonna hurt the thing, that's why you turn it down to its lowest level!

Then you can run that for WEB BROWSING, then if you want to play games you can turn it back up, these settings can be saved via the PROFILES!

So one for the WEB and one for GAMING ETC.

Job done.

Or... just set the power plan to balanced and you don't have to do anything. It will ramp up as needed.

CORRECT look if you run a set voltage on a CPU its not gonna hurt the thing, that's why you turn it down to its lowest level!

Then you can run that for WEB BROWSING, then if you want to play games you can turn it back up, these settings can be saved via the PROFILES!

So one for the WEB and one for GAMING ETC.

Job done.

That sounds like a very inefficient approach but still an idea, thank you.

Or... just set the power plan to balanced and you don't have to do anything. It will ramp up as needed.

Thank you, that sounds excellent. Can you elaborate please? Where can I locate this power plan in BIOS? or you are referring to adjusting settings in DIGI+ settings. And I am assuming vcore voltage will drop/increase with this plan in place?

Oh, in that case i misunderstood you. I thought you meant creating a profile IN BIOS.
I am a bit shocked that this is what you guys were referring to the whole time. I honestly thought this type of control happened via BIOS config.

My power profile is currently at "High Performance" and the CPU still down throttles, I am confused:)

Then you have those power savings settings like c1e, speedstep, etc enabled in the bios. Which is fine as well.

Sorry if this sounds idiotic:
So if i set my vcore voltage manually (and I fully agree, its so much easier), it means it will maintain this vcore the whole time independent of load? even with C states enabled.

Back