• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI B150A Gaming Pro Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today, we get a chance to review a unique motherboard from MSI. Typically, we look at enthusiast products, since we are, after all, Overclockers.com. But not all of our readers overclock (blasphemy!) or need high-end equipment. Sometimes you just need a no frills motherboard for standard day-to-day operation. In that light, MSI sent along thier B150A Gaming Pro that makes use of Intel's B150 chipset devoid of overclocking bells and whistles. As the name implies, the board is steered towards the gaming crowd. Let's take a look at the board and see what it has to offer!

Click here to view the article.

It shows to be priced at 120-130 Euros on a couple of European sites which comes out to about $130-145, give or take a $1,000,000.

Excellent! Though that price feels a bit high for a non overclocking board I have to admit.

Echhh Does supporting SLI as opposed to Xfire cost Intel money or something? Does Intel hate team green? I know all these buttmunchers want to take over the world but no SLI support. Why? Seriously, I have had both ATI and Nvidea cards over the years. The AMD cards I have had self destruct could probably support a family of four for a few months. Even my POS work PC gets a BSOD playing flash videos.. Faulting module? ATIXXX... What else.

Echhh Does supporting SLI as opposed to Xfire cost Intel money or something? Does Intel hate team green? I know all these buttmunchers want to take over the world but no SLI support. Why? Seriously, I have had both ATI and Nvidea cards over the years. The AMD cards I have had self destruct could probably support a family of four for a few months. Even my POS work PC gets a BSOD playing flash videos.. Faulting module? ATIXXX... What else.

What bearing does this post have on the MB review? Seriously, I'm not getting a connection at all?????

The more you know......... NVIDIA SLI cannot run in a 4x slot. The slots on this board run at 16x and 4x. So only CFx would be supported. There isn't a conspiracy, its not about money. It is what it is due to the physical setup up the PCIe lanes on this board.

@ Robert - See above. :)

What bearing does this post have on the MB review? Seriously, I'm not getting a connection at all?????

Sorry, it was more of a comment on the motherboard. And a question about supporting SLI or not. I guess I should have made a new post.

Not really. Because it wouldn't have made sense... at least in the context of this board.

Yeah, I'd read the review and picked up on the PCIe lane set-up. I improperly assumed that BrokenPC had done the same, so didn't understand the rant.

The PCI lane setup for the chipset is what is limiting it though right? I just like the PC architecture so much I don't like to see entire swaths of Video card makers get a key piece of tech removed for what seems fairly trivial. If Auto manufacturers could make wheels and copyright the sizes they would. Anyhow, was not a rant. It's Friday. Not like I am in the market for a 100.00 mobo. I appreciate the education though, been out of it for a while.

It is a board thing, not a chipset thing. :)

A lot of boards break it down to 8x/8x, just not this one.

Confused.

It is a board thing, not a chipset thing. :)

A lot of boards break it down to 8x/8x, just not this one.

I was going by the chipset specs where the 170 lists CPU lane support as 1x16 2,8 etc but on the B150 they only support 1x16 so I assumed that you would then have 1x16 port. The rest would have to come from the southbridge.

Back