• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning for a New Computer Build, Looking for Some Opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoeSchmuck

Registered
I've been building computers since 1976 and I'd say I have a bit of experience under my belt however as I age, I tend to not stay as up to date on things like I use to so I thought it would be a great opportunity to come here and ask for some advice/pointers on a new system I plan to build one way or another.

My current system is an old i7-950 that I built back in later 2009 and I've got 24GB of RAM (the CPU wouldn't handle the 32GB I purchased, what an idiot I was wasting money). So my system is no slouch however it has a few drawbacks... It's power hungry, the fans are a bit too loud (not terrible at all, just irritating), and I want to build my last computer for the next 5-6 years. I do a lot of VMWare Workstation work so all that RAM does not get wasted. This is not a gaming computer so fancy looking hardware is not a selling point, although I would expect most expensive hardware will look good and be targeted at gamers.

Here are my requirements and lets put money to the side for now. It always plays a factor but at least for the initial design we can just go crazy provided we stay within the expectations of the design.

CPU
  • The latest & greatest CPU that support 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Graphics should be built in to the CPU to reduce the size of the device

RAM
  • 32GB DDR4 Memory (the faster the better that actually runs solid, no burps)

MB
  • MB which can support OC'ing
  • USB 3.1 interface
  • M2 PCI-E SSD interface (two slots would be ideal but not a deal breaker)

SSD
  • 500GB or 1TB (whatever is available) PCI-E M2 SSD

Case
  • Very small and compact, (Mini-ITX size would be what I'm shooting for but not a deal breaker)
  • Ultra quiet (28 dBa or below would be ideal)

Cooling
  • Whatever fits into a small case while beating the hell out of the CPU
  • A few very quiet case fans

What I desire is a small compact super computer that is ultra quiet. I wish fanless was an option but I know better, you need to have some well thought out air flow to keep things cool. I'm thinking because I want such a small case that water cooled is the only way to go however I have never heard how loud the water pump is. I keep thinking about a fish tank pump which is loud and would irritate the heck out of me. I'd like the ability to OC the CPU as well, it's always fun to play. If the CPU heatsink could be part of the case side to dissipate heat, that would work too but I don't see that kind of stuff in the civilian sector, only military applications/custom equipment.

One thing I also plan to do it install a drive selector switch to kill power to the PCI-E slot. Why you ask, because I need to be able to boot my computer from two different drives and the offline drive to not be exposed because a VM can only isolate you so much, testing using a separate drive makes things very safe. I can do that with the normal 2.5" SATA drives because the power cables are exposed and I can cut the +3.3VDC, +5VDC, and +12VDC with a single TPDT key switch and power on the drives I want. This just makes my current system easier to use than swapping in and out drives. I do have removable drive bays but the switch is much better in the long run. Implementing this on an M2 connected PCI-E interface may be a little more challenging but those SSDs have crazy fast throughput speeds! When I build a new computer, I build an entirely new computer.

I know this may sound like a crazy project but it's one I will be taking on.

So I was looking at the i7 Skylake CPU, not sure it's worth the cost of the upgrade, I thought I'd read another Intel CPU was coming out soon even though Skylake was just released. Intel is crazy I guess. I have yet to see a MB in the Mini-ITX form factor using the Z170 chipset while supporting USB 3.1 at the same time.

The case is probably the most difficult item to select because of clearance issues while trying to keep it small, also I could see moving up to a larger MB if the overall case was still small. And I'd like a solid steel case. My current case I've had for maybe 15+ years (17"H x 19"D x 8"W). Solid construction! I've had at least 4 different systems inside it. But this case is a mid-ATX tower and is a beast to carry around. I just want a challenge to make a fast computer in a small case. If it fails, I still have this great case I can use.

Sorry this was so lengthy, I wanted to try to be clear on what I wanted for this project. Oh, and I will not go out and purchase a single component unless it's a CPU or MB and it's on a great sale. I'd prefer to wait until I know all the parts will fit together or I can modify the case to make it fit. You young kids out there are likely to know it all so asking for some assistance isn't out of my vocabulary.

In the meantime I'm looking for a good keyboard with MX Brown keys and laser etched key caps, the kind that don't wear off like mine at work, I get so many complaints from folks sitting down at my computer to use it for a few minutes because they can't find the right keys. I just laugh. But my keyboard at home is wearing out and my wife and daughter will start complaining too, so this gives me the opportunity to by a new good quality keyboard. NewEgg has a refurbed unit on sale but the reviews were not that positive so I'll have to pass.

Cheers!

-Joe

Looks like you are halfway there...

I'm not sure you can disable m.2 drives with with a dip switch on the motherboard...perhaps in the bios though.

Z170 based board
32gb ddr4 2800 cl15
Quality 500w psu

Looks like you are halfway there...

I'm not sure you can disable m.2 drives with with a dip switch on the motherboard...perhaps in the bios though.

Z170 based board
32gb ddr4 2800 cl15
Quality 500w psu

The M2, I'd likely have to cut a power line or two and then I'd need to figure out if the MB or SSD needs to be altered. Of course, because it's plugged into the MB PCI-E bus, maybe there is a way to disable it in the BIOS. Yea, I'd prefer that. I was also looking at some 3200 DDR4 RAM. Red it was overclocked to 3400 solid, 3500 intermittent so I'd likely stick at 3200 to 3300. I don't mind pushing items provided I back off a little from the maximum. The CPU, I can't wait!

Buildint a system isn't difficult, but trying to make it small and silent AND powerful, yea that requires research. I think I found a keyboard to purchase, the reviews are good and it's under $100 so I'll pull the trigger on that tomorrow. I always sleep on a purchase unless there is a serious sale I can't miss.

Ok.. im not mobile anymore...

Read that post again...

Since you are running multiple VMs, I would suggest the X99 platform so you can snag a 5820k or 5930K for its extra cores and threads which would help you support that environment.

A mobo like the ASrock X99 extreme 6 is solid all around. It has one M.2 socket and sata express along with a slew of sata ports. Truly there are dozens of boards at that price or less that would be fine. You don't need to spend an arm or a leg there.

I wouldn't bother going much past DDR4 3K really. The price starts to climb and yields become less. Just grab 4x8GB DDR4 3K CL 15. Brand is your choice by looks and price. I also wouldn't bother overclocking it.

This platform doesn't have a iGPU so you will have to go discrete. Just putting a picture on the screen and no or web gaming? You can get away with less, but Id grab a 750Ti or Maybe 250x or something from AMD.

Power supplly, you really only need a couple hundred watts. Maybe grab a seasonic or evga for high quality... 500W is where I would go, perhaps even a fanless PSU since you are using a low end GPU.

Thanks for the recommendation and I never considered using a CPU with more cores. I only "typically" run 2 VMs (1 CPU, 1 or 2 cores depending on the goal) at a time. I have on occasion run 3 for more VMs but RAM is typically my limitation, not CPU cores. I would consider 64GB RAM but really have to think about if I would realistically utilize it. The other thing is no USB 3.1 support. When I upgrade, it will have the support or ability for me to easily upgrade later (probably an add-on card) but I want the front port on the case.

A discrete video card, I have a few already (fanless) which do not consume too much power but they are fairly old and I use them as emergency backups. Maybe a newer graphics card, fanless design, I'll have to look into it. Heat is a serious consideration when I'm going to build a silent PC.

We agree on the power supply, I'm shooting for a 300 Watt 80 Plus Bronze or Gold, depends on what is on sale at the time I purchase. I prefer a Seasonic branded unit like the SeaSonic SSP-300ST. Of course until I choose the MB and Case, I'm not going to know the size my power supply can be. I was looking at the Fractal Design Node 304 but it's a bit wider than I wanted so I'm looking at other cases right now.

hd 5450 is cheap, reliable and uses passive cooling with its 19w full load TDP. Its also dirt cheap (not withstanding your goals, it just fits the purpose very well).

Heres a low profile one that will fit ANY case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150565&cm_re=5450-_-14-150-565-_-Product

- check out massdrop for keyboards, they are updated pretty regularly and feature high quality keyboards (and some not so high quality ones, keep an eye out).

- check out "Be Quiet!" line of power supply units for noiseless operation.

The be quiet is good. Seasonic makes a fanless model, and rosewill (it's a very good unit). Fanless tends to cost an arm and a leg for the same wattage though. The rosewill is platinum cert and $150.

hd 5450 is cheap, reliable and uses passive cooling with its 19w full load TDP. Its also dirt cheap (not withstanding your goals, it just fits the purpose very well).

Heres a low profile one that will fit ANY case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150565&cm_re=5450-_-14-150-565-_-Product

- check out massdrop for keyboards, they are updated pretty regularly and feature high quality keyboards (and some not so high quality ones, keep an eye out).

- check out "Be Quiet!" line of power supply units for noiseless operation.
Appreciate the link, NewEgg is my favorite place to shop for computer parts, just a great return policy. I like that the video card is also low profile so it will not heavily restrict air flow within the case. As it is I may be building custom air guides to ensure air flows in the proper directions to cool the real heat producing components and then flow out the case.

I wouldnt go that far, personay. Just make sure front and sides are intake while top and rear are exhaust.

In a small case to ensure the RAM and other chip sets are properly cooled, these things must be taken into account. I'm an engineer so of course I'll over-engineer it. :eek: So the specific case will determine what needs to be done, hopefully nothing but I like to work with fiberglass with my RC Airplanes so this would be fairly easy to accomplish in a professional way.

Don't sweat the ram...

If you want to make that effort, go for it, but I wouldn't until you know it's needed.

Don't sweat the ram...

If you want to make that effort, go for it, but I wouldn't until you know it's needed.

I agree with you completely, the case will dictate the cooling. The goals haven't changed... Small, Quiet, Fast. The replacement for my current machine.

I will need to ask for advice on AIO liquid coolers for the CPU, specifically what kind of noise the pump generates. From what I've read, it's typically best to let the pump run at full speed and then adjust the radiator fan speed as required. Sounds simple. I'll actually ask a specific question once I narrow down the motherboard and case. I'll also be checking out the silentpcreview.com site as I know they do have some additional information which I can pick up.

Back