• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys I am just finishing my build and had a question . I have 2 seperate cooling loops one for cpu and one for gpu which is a Evga 980ti hydro copper my question is this video card has no fan header so how do I control my rad fans for my gpu loop. Can my motherboard (Asus rampage revenge) fan header be changed to control gpu heats?
SpeedFan ought to be able to read your GPU temp and control any header that BIOS can control based on that input. Most motherboards have a few headers that can be controlled. It may take some fiddling to get SpeedFan to see the video card temp outputs, but it can usually be done. Check your motherboard specs, though, to make sure you don't overload the header with multiple fans.
http://almico.com/speedfan.php

You could also get a fan controller with a temp sensor and base the fan speed on the coolant temp. Again watch out for weak units designed to control a single fan.

Does speedfan still work on modern boards? I haven't used it in several years as it was pretty outdated. It couldn't read sensors properly, etc. If you want to control it in windows, I would use your motherboard's windows based software personally.

Hmmm, I'm pretty outdated myself and don't run windows anymore. I checked Almico's website before posting and there was a new release of SpeedFan in February, but if you say it doesn't support the current boards, I'll believe you.

Will the Asus software allow Rhymer to control motherboard headers based on the GPU temps?

Like I said, it has been years since I used it and it didn't work right then. Most these days stay away from Speedfan, but, if it works, by all means!! :)

Based on GPU temps, no. Id just set it at a reasonable level personally.

Otter : Yes that's what I was hoping for to be able to use speed fan or some kind of software to be able to do this . I have kind of fiddled around in bios with my fans but have yet to figure it out . Also my motherboards windows program cd is for windows 8 and I have windows 10. I tried downloading the drivers off of Asus page but when I install it makes 3/4 of my programs non functional . I have a temp sensor in my loop reading water temps so I may just have to go that route using a manual controller . I just really wanted the functionality of it being a automated process.

I figured I didn't want to steer you towards this buggy product but will give you a warning about it. The Corsair Link might be something to look at. I've had it for years but not using it anymore. I eventually will if they iron out the darn bugs with it. I have the newer generation and its still buggy. Its a mess really. Some people get it to work somewhat, others don't. Your fans might ramp up sometimes and sometimes not. Its not a perfect product by any means but it is something that CAN somewhat control your radiator fans based on the GPU's temp.

Thought I'd share that but again, I'm giving you the warning now, enter at your own risk. ;)

Back