• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rhymer362

Registered
Hey guys I am just finishing my build and had a question . I have 2 seperate cooling loops one for cpu and one for gpu which is a Evga 980ti hydro copper my question is this video card has no fan header so how do I control my rad fans for my gpu loop. Can my motherboard (Asus rampage revenge) fan header be changed to control gpu heats?

Sorry if this was discussed already but I did a search and couldn't find anything relevant

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have already heard the why 2 loops question and the answer is because it's what I wanted to do. Building a pc is about building it how you want correct??

- - - Updated - - -

It is a motherboard. Sorry forgot to mention that

- - - Updated - - -

I have 3 wire fans for my gpu rad. And my mother board has 7 4 pin headers.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a aio?

- - - Updated - - -

No it's was strictly because I wanted to do to rads I have a huge case and wanted to fill it out

Welcome!!!

Why two loops is my first question? That could easily be in one!
Second, what is a ASUS Rampage Revenge?

What kind of fans do you have...voltage controlled (3 pin), or PWM (4 pin)? Can your motherboard control whatever kind of fan it is (what headers are on the mobo, 3 or 4 pin?)?

It isn't wrong of course, just atypical because it is more costly (extra pump), and IMHO, clumsy... unless you have an AIO on the CPU and custom, then there wasn't really a choice.

EDIT: There is no ASUS motherboard named "revenge".

EDIT2: You have 4 pin headers... nice. Those fans will work on the motherboard headers, yep!

Sorry, I tried to merge your post and botched up the thread I think.... my fault. :(

AIO = All In One water cooling... usually a sealed loop... Think Corsair H100i

You could have done two rads, or more, within a single loop...most wouldn't separate such a tiny loop. There isn't a reason to do so (outside of for giggles as you have done)... and it costs more (2 pumps). Anyway, moving on...!

As I said above, your motherboard can control the fans. What is controlling the fans on the other loop?

I am running my cpu fans off the cpu header with a splitter . Can the motherboard read gpu temps and adjust accordingly ?

I don't believe so, no. You will just have to manually set the fan speeds on the headers you plug them into.

Be careful with splitters on motherboard headers in that you are not running it past what they are rated for. I would make sure the fans are under 12W/1A total (see sticker on the fans for information on power use).

Sorry I forgot to mention they are splitters that are powered by the psu.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway thank you for the replys

Why not get a fan controller and leave them set at a certain speed? With two loops, assuming you have enough radiator (you don't mention the CPU, nor the radiators you have), you can set the fans to low/quiet and go from there.

I'm afraid if I tell you the size of my rads you will scoff more !lol. I could do that but I was just wanting something that is automated as far as controlling temps was concerned

- - - Updated - - -

I have a i7 5930 which I have read with over clocking puts off a decent amount of heat. That is another reason I decided to go with seperate loops . But I am running 2 480 mm rads

You have plenty of radiator, that is for sure! :)

With that kind of setup, you can easily just set the fans to 'I can't hear you quiet' if you wanted.

Anyway, let's see some pics!

Yup, as ED has said, you could literally run those fans silent because you have more than enough rad for your setup. You're surely hitting diminishing returns, just make sure you have adequate flow going through each loop.

If I may, give us a list and pictures of your build. Always like knowing what people have for their setups. Mine can be found in my signature. Nostalgia 2.0, is a bit out dated in the hardware of things since I upgraded but its fairly the same overall.

Man you guys a very opinionated when it comes to people's choices in there components which is fine this is a forum buts geez! Yes I will post pics as soon as it all is done I am waiting for parts that are coming tomorrow and will post after that. I still have some more parts to order so it won't be completely done . But back to the topic at hand. Have any of you ever been able to control a mother board fan header and designate it for another component ?

But back to the topic at hand. Have any of you ever been able to control a mother board fan header and designate it for another component ?

No, the Force has never been with me strong.

If it's not set up in the bios probably not. Please give me a specific example of what you're trying to do please.

Yea that's what I would like to know if that is possible. To go into bios and designate A fan header for use on the gpu that will actually adjust itself to gpu temps

Yea that's what I would like to know if that is possible. To go into bios and designate A fan header for use on the gpu that will actually adjust itself to gpu temps

There is pwm connector on the GPU. You need to make a connector yourself but that would work just fine. Route the PWM signal from GPU and power from PSU.

There is one, just not with the same connector.hence why he said you need to make one since your current plug wouldn't fit.

3 or 4 pin connector on the pcb of the videocard. Smaller than what you see on a motherboard...

Oh well than that is out of the question. I don't think I want to take off the factory water block. But I thank you guys for all your responses

Back