• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Maximus VIII Gene Motherboard Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The initial Z170 chipset motherboard offerings from ASUS included several options from their Channel and ROG series. We've already had a look at a couple Channel series motherboards in the Z170-Deluxe and Z170-A, so it's time to step it up a notch and have our first look at a ROG Maximus VIII series motherboard. Currently available in the ROG series are the Maximus VIII Hero, Ranger, and Gene with the higher-end Formula and Extreme motherboards to follow this fall. Today, we'll be looking at the Maximus VIII Gene, which is a mATX form factor motherboard offering many of the same features you'll find on the larger ATX/EATX Maximus VIII motherboards. Let's get started and see what the Maximus VIII Gene has to offer.
Click here to view the article.

I actually like the looks of this more than red and black.

It's still red and black, just a WHOLE LOT less red than previous generation ROG boards.

Check out the Temperature difference comparison vs the Z170A @ 4.2GHz Intel XTU test.

The Gene does have 53 marks on the Z170-A, But look at the highest CPU temp reached!

49C vs 71C ?

Attachments

• 2015-09-05 (3).png
    2015-09-05 (3).png
    415.9 KB · Views: 430
Hello guys,

I want to buy MAXIMUS VIII GENE, but I mainly run Linux Mint. Have anyone tried to run Linux on MAXIMUS VIII GENE? What is your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Back