• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Assessing damage and building back up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Congrats on the 300 Mil Mark, Don!
I was having problems starting my machine after it crashed a few days ago. It wanted me to reload windows
and sometimes wouldn't start at all. After futzing around with my hardware it worked again.
Fairly certain one card is about to die as it needs more and more volts to stay stable
Also, these new 9405 workunits are hard on my cards and get poor ppd.

They just launched the 380x line. I am considering dumping of my old Tahiti cards
and picking up those instead. Less power and heat with Tonga. $230 retail, not bad.

OK. Today I took time out from installing my furnace humidifier to wrok on my farm. Good news. While the stats are down, I have all of my machines running and only two video cards that can run that are not.

IMG_20151122_152840[1].jpg

Brief description:
Note: It looks like hell because I'm pissed at it and don't feel like cleaning it up. With that said, I'll probably clean it up tomorrow but only because I refuse to do it today.

Top left on shelf: Server 2008. Not running because I haven't been doing anything fun with it in a while.
Shelf under server: This is the "Workstation" machine. It has 7 full 16x PCIe slots. Right now I have 4 7970's running with the PSU from caddi_daddi
Bottom right on the floor: This is my Win 7 machine. It normally has 3x R9-280x Sapphire toxic cards. One card is out for repair as the fans quit.
On top of floor machine: This is another windows 10 machine that was my Vista machine. It has 3x R9-280x Sapphire dual-X but one card is dead.

In the rack:

On top is my white 802.11 AC Asus router. Love it.
Next to that is my high end cable modem.
Those are sitting on my unmanaged 24 port gigabit switch.
Under that is my patch pannel. I've been adding to it slowly.
Under that are two Tripp light power distribution/surge protectors.
In the upper right my "Magic Jack" is hidding.
Middle right is my small UPS for the modem, router and magic jack in case of power outage.

Note: The 66 block is being used for wire management. Nothing is connected to it in any way. It is purely there for my amusement.

and I thought my wire managment skills were lacking!!!!

and you found a place the psu actually fits!!!!!

and I thought my wire managment skills were lacking!!!!

and you found a place the psu actually fits!!!!!

Yep. That monster of a PSU is out in the free air. It's a "free range" PSU if you will. If you look at the picture, you'll see it proud on the lower shelf with the Workstation board. Next to that burried in the middle in the KVM mounted on my board.

Every time I get my cable management going, things go to hell and I have to undo it all. :(

have you figured out the stupid eco button? i found that what i thought was on was off and vice-versa.

hey!!! i see pcie adaptors!!!!! what up with that?

The cards just can't breathe if I stack them all together.

I have not played with the eco feature at all. I'm just trying to get a stable farm. ;)

if it had a beard it would be a little harder to find, i also see a smoke alarm.

if it had a beard it would be a little harder to find, i also see a smoke alarm.

Not a smoke alarm. Its a hue wireless LED lighting system that we don't use. The son bought it for my wife two or three years ago. I dropped one of the three bulbs and broke it. We do not like the fact that you have to pull out your smart phone to turn on the lights. What a pain....

On another note, I got a 1.7 million point update with the stats having been down. I hope that means I've got my troubles figured out. I finished modifying the cooling system of my tri-x toxic card and will put that into the fold tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

I see your Magic Jack :)

Now can you find the UPS. Its there. ;)

on the floor, lower left with blue trim?

That's my old Core 2 duo. It could be a quad but I think its a duo. I don't remember. Since I've moved my office to the basement but my main machine is upstairs, I'm looking to make it my HDD recovery machine for client hard drives that are nearly toast.

so it's the box we can only see the edge of on the right????
I figured that was the breaker box.

Don, hope none of the cards I have sold you are among the problematic and or dead cards?

Here's what my current GPU setup looks like. It isn't folding, but perhaps it can give you some inspiration on how to proceed with your rigs.

UVQcu7D.jpg

Odkk38F.jpg

That is 20 GPUs (Mix of 7970/280X/290) running off of 3 motherboards. Each rig has a 750w XFX (Seasonic) PSU powering the rig + 2 GPUs. That leaves 14 GPUs that are powered using 2 Delta DPS2000 server power supplies, each of which can easily provide 2000w of clean 12V power 24/7 for years on end. Those PSUs can be had for about 35$, and are gold efficiency. Everything is powered off of a single 240V 30A outlet, with a cheap second hand 240V 30A PDU from ebay and consuming about 4700w.

You should definitely take advantage of 240V with your setup. You'll double your electrical capacity vs 120V on the same wiring, reduce stress on the PSUs, and your power supplies will run about 2% more efficiently which will lower your power bill.

Feel free if you need some help or suggestions.

Last edited:
Back