• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

m.2 SSDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are we going to wind up with configurations where OS and programs are installed on a fast M.2 NVMe drive for speed and we use a 1 or 2TB commodity SATA SSD for bulk storage? ;)

dont see why not, dont have to worry about that motor turning even when not in use. then if the drive has it, head parking which for some is worse for the drive then what its suppose to help with.

the pro950 is up on newegg.com, tbh for the price i'd rather buy the SM951 like a said a while ago. the price doesnt fit for the speed/size vs the SM951.

I don't want to make new thread and since this is kinda open conversation then I will only add my question.
We can see many new M.2 drives but all faster series are in 2282 standard. I'm looking for something like SM951 but in 2242 or 2262 format. Can be any brand with 3 year warranty or more. Have you seen anything like that ?

I'm thinking that because the new m.2 NVMe drives get so hot they will all be single-sided 2282 size for a while.

I can also find a way to install 2282 but it can be hard. I'm thinking about MSI Z170I ITX board and it doesn't support 2282 ( at least not officially ). Here is photo how it looks like. I bet that SSD will work, I just need to find a way to install it so it won't overheat or burn anything near.

I guess you could always go with one of these. You'll just need a board with an available PCI-e x4 slot. Of course, the board you linked isn't gonna work with it. You'd have to go mATX to get the slot you need.

I already have that MSI board and it's great except it has only smaller SSD support. Maybe I will try if 2282 fits ... there is nothing what hot glue can't fix :D But really I'm not sure how hot are getting these new samsungs. People say they're pretty hot so now is additional question if hot glue won't melt :p

Back