• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x99 classified pcie device arrangemet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitejohndoe

Hey guys, so I'm going to be building a x99 classy board. I know for sure im going to be using 2 evga titan x superclock's in sli and an m.2 ssd for the OS drive. And then probably a raid card, a pcie nvme ssd, and possibly something else.

So, I know ideally I would want the 2 titans in the top slots and thats most likely what will happen. However, I was thinking, how bad would performance be if I stuck the titans in slots 4 and 6? Since slot 5 (x4) is already disabled due to the m.2 being used I wouldn't cover up any "useful" pcie slots, where as using the titans in slot 1 and 2 I would lose access to slot 3.

So what do you guys think? How badly would performance be hindered by using slot 4 and 6 for graphics cards?

Find out how the lanes break down, and if its 8x, then you will only lose 1-2%.

Why two Titan X's? How many monitors are you using or running 4K?

Find out how the lanes break down, and if its 8x, then you will only lose 1-2%.

Why two Titan X's? How many monitors are you using or running 4K?

Gotcha ill have to take a look, I believe I read somewhere that slot 4 can support full x16 but ill have to double check, and I'm almost positive slot 6 will only do x8.

I'm going with 2 titan x's to support 4 monitors, 3 paired as one and a 4th used as auxilary. So total resolution will be around 6000x2560, I haven't gotten around to figuring the exact number with bezel correction calculated.

And as I know the question will come up, its a heavy gaming rig with moderate use for video editing/PhotoShop and possible streaming in the future(that part is undecided).

Here's the pcie lane distribution as per evga:

PCI-E Lane Distribution (40 Lane Processor)
•PE1 – x16 (x8 if PE2 is used)
•PE2 – x8
•PE3 – x8
•PE4 – x16 (x8 if PE3 is used)
•PE5 – x4 (Gen 2 only, 4 lanes pulled from PCH)
•PE6 – x8

Why not lane PE1-x16 and PE4 -x16 room permitting it would help with cooling and leave 3 lanes @ x8 for other items? But depends on your case size and other items?

Back