• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Freezes/lags when trying to initiate a usb android tether

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

I have a HTC One M9 running android 5.1 and is on the verizon network. My main computer (GAK-COREi) is running windows 10. When i try to initiate a usb tether, windows 10 will lag severely. But as soon as I physically disconnect the phone from the computer, Windows 10 becomes fully responsive again. This happens on both usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I tested on my windows 7 computer instead (had to manually install the microsoft NDIS driver) and I was able to get 4g lte internet up and running on that computer (GAK-CORE2). What i did notice though is that windows 7 was seeing the htc phone as an mtp device instead of as an "RNDIS" device. In windows 10, it was using the "HTC RNDIS" driver. something like that.

I have tried using both versions of the HTC RNDIS driver and tried to switch to microsofts NDIS driver with no success. In fact, it will still continue to use the HTC RDNIS driver even after trying to uninstall the htc driver and a restart.

EDIT: forgot to mention that sometimes even the phones slows down or even freezes when trying to usb tether. i am able to get it to respond again by holding the volume up and lock key for ten seconds (hard reboots the phone)

Last edited:
Hey man, did you ever have any luck with this issue? I am running an HTC One m9 on Sprint's network but I am getting all the same symptoms that you are describing when tethering. I am trying to figure out where to begin further troubleshooting.

Here's to hoping you're still checking out this thread!

I use the mobile hotspot on my s5 with att no problem. But then again I have a usb3 wireless ac dongle too. I'd invest in a cheap wifi (ac) dongle.

I use the mobile hotspot on my s5 with att no problem. But then again I have a usb3 wireless ac dongle too. I'd invest in a cheap wifi (ac) dongle.

That's a great idea, actually. I think that will save me a lot more trouble and serve my desktop well in the future. Thank you for the suggestion kind sir!

Back