• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building computer. 1st time. Can these components work together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bondhoh

Will these parts work with each other? Do I have everything I need? And what else do I need?
I want to put together a desktop. I am aiming to build a computer to play games flawlessly. I will be keeping my laptops for work and school but when it comes to gaming I will be relying on this machine in the future. Maybe more when the time comes.

I'm looking at these items:

Case:
NZXT PHANTOM ATX Full Tower Case, Black and Green, PHAN-002GR

Fan:
Noctua Premium Quality Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel LGA 2011,1156,1155,1150 and AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3/3+,FM1/2 Sockets NH-U9S

Motherboard:
ASUS Z170-DELUXE ATX DDR4 Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K

Graphics Card:
MSI Computer Video Graphics Card GTX 980TI GAMING 6G

SSD:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)

HDD:
WD Green 1TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache WD10EZRX

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2800C15Q-16GVR

Thermal Paste(?):
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

Power Supply:
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD, 650W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 5 Year Warranty Powe Supply 220-GS-0650-V1

The total comes out around $2100. But alas, I am not made out of cash nor do I own a tree that bears it.
By October 1st I can afford all my parts but I will be ordering them piece by piece (I can afford it now, but I prefer installments, don't like forking over too much at once).
If you have any suggestions or alternatives that lower the cost, all ideas are appreciated.

*EDIT: I went and edited this original post so people won't have to look through responses..*
I switched out the RAM, added the PSU, and switched the 1TB SSD for a 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD.
That gave me the extra 100 for the PSU. Just haven't decided on the OS yet..

Last edited:
Get things all at once is my suggestion. Piece meal purchasing of some parts isn't a good idea.

ANyway, looks good to me. Two suggestions:

1. As far as your PSU, grab an EVGA GS650 and call it a day.
2. Grab DDR4 2800. Why run DDr3 speeds on DDR4 platform? :)

Mkay, so is this RAM closer to what you spoke of?

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4-22400) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2800C15Q-16GVR

And I put on my list the PSU you wrote down earlier:

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 80+ GOLD, 650W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 5 Year Warranty Powe Supply 220-GS-0650-V1

And I just thought about this but the OS... I like 7 better than 8. Havent seen what 10 looks like.
In older models I hated the Vista and loved XP. Any suggestions on OS as well? Sorry, shouldve thought about it and put it into my original question... DX

I would say for the OS, start with 7. Stick with what you know and hold off on 10 until they iron it out a bit more. You can always upgrade to 10 later on if you want it instead.

The only reason I say start with 7 is so you can rollback if needed.

That said, 10 isn't bad even now. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Personally I'd recommend Arctic Cooling MX-4 or MX-2 over Arctic Silver 5 (Arctic (aka Arctic Cooling) and Arctic Silver are different companies by the way) for the thermal paste.

Mainly because Arctic Silver 5 is electrically conductive/capacitive, so it can kill your parts if you spill it into your CPU socket by using too much when you're applying it. Arctic Cooling MX-4 and MX-2 are not electrically conductive or capacitive, so less risk to your parts when you're new to building a PC.

What screen resolution you plan on playing games at? Just curious because if you're playing 1080p the GTX 980ti is in most cases overkill. Just looking to save you some cash.

That said, 10 isn't bad even now. I wouldn't be afraid of it.

The stories of Windows 10 on the internetz were making me horrified.

I believe I saw solutions to the update controls. Hooray!
Microsoft is possibly restoring update functionality!

The stories of Windows 10 on the internetz were making me horrified.

I believe I saw solutions to the update controls. Hooray!
Microsoft is possibly restoring update functionality!
I switched to Win 10, last week from Win 7 which I really liked. I was on a Windows 8 Pc once and I was having a lot of difficulty navigating around. So I was hesitant to do the switch to Win 10. So far yes it is a little different but I'm starting to understand where everything I used on Win 7 is and I feel the horror stories are unwarranted.

Back