• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Android gaming console

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

At the moment, I've got a OnePlus one that I really enjoy gaming on. I play Real Racing 3, Beach Buggy Racing, Modern Combat 5, Undead, Dead Trigger 2, Open Arena...

I've got a Wamo Pro controller, and the mounting bracket on the controller holds my phone nicely so I can game comfortably with it. I'd like something that I can connect to my HDMI monitor though. The OnePlus One does not support MHL. I'm thinking of either buying a better phone (I'll probably wait until the Snapdragon 820 is out) that supports MHL (or similar) to connect it to my HDMI monitor, then use a Bluetooth controller like I do now.

Or should I buy a proper Android game console? I'm not really too sure. I love having a high end phone, but I don't really NEED a portable console. So something like an Ouya could be good. I don't really need Xbox One/PS4 quality graphics, as I'm pretty happy with what my OnePlus One can do with its Snapdragon 801. So what should I do, buy a proper Android console, or wait for a better phone to come out? The current crop of phones don't impress me that much so I'm not going to upgrade to a current gen phone at the moment.

I know that phones tend to overheat with prolonged gaming sessions, but mine isn't too bad. Also, my monitor is 1080p, and most of the current flagships are 1440p, so will that affect how the screen scales to my monitor? I'm not desperate to buy anything really soon, so I can wait a few months if anything good is coming out soon.

The shield tv console is probably your best bet. i am looking at getting one soon. I have an ouya, but its future is limited, and compared to the shield, the ouya hardware is crap. I enjoy my ouya as a plex box, kodi box and it does emulation well. The shield id the primo android gaming device right now, and would be far cheaper than a new high end phone.

Back