• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Double Dragon Case Mod-Black(or White)/Red Cube w/ 720 Rad space

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dalchi Frusche

Double Dragon Case Mod-White and Red Cube w/ 720 Rad space

SigNew_zpsab2xy88w.jpg

UPDATED 9/9/15
Hey all,

Now that school is done and found a comfortable steady income, time to start collecting materials to begin working on the case. Bear with me as it might take a while to get everything constructed. I'll be fitting in work in between diaper changes of our new baby born Aug 21st 2015.

So.... this will be a build that will take a long time to complete(just warning everyone now) :eek: Just wanted to get some input while in the beginning stages of the build.

PARTS LIST

P - Pending
O - Ordered
H - Have

MAIN COMPONENTS
  • MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX Extreme OC - P
  • CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 - P
  • Corsair RM Series 850 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold - P
  • Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - P
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - P

COOLING
  • Swiftech Apogee XL PPCS Custom Dragon II - P
  • Corsair AF120s Twin Pack Quiet Edition(x2) - P
!!! A huge thanks goes out to [@]Osco[/@] for donating the below bitspower fittings to the build!
  • Monsoon Chain Gun Compression Fitting - 3/8"ID x 5/8"OD – Red - Quantity: 2 - H
  • Bitspower G1/4 Male to Female Extender - 30mm - Matte Black - Quantity: 4 - H
  • Bitspower G1/4" D-Plug Male / Male Coupler Set - Bold Red - Quantity: 1 - H
  • Bitspower SLI / Crossfire Multi-Link Adapter Pair - Deep Bold Red - Quantity: 2 pairs - H
  • Rigid PrimoChill Ghost Compression 3/8in. ID x 1/2in. OD Fitting – Knurled Grip – Anodized Black - Quantity: 1 - H
  • Bitspower Quick-Disconnect Male w/ Inner G1/4 - Matte Black - Quantity: 1 - H
  • Bitspower SLI / Crossfire Crystal Link Tube Set - H
  • Phobya Fan Shroud 120mm Black x6 - H
  • Phobya Y- Cable 3 pin to 6 3 pin splitter (black) - H
  • Phobya Y- Cable 3 pin to 6 3 pin splitter (red) - H
  • Phobya Y- Cable 3 pin to 4 3 pin splitter (red) - H
  • Phobya Angled clip 90° for 19/13mm tubing (black) - H
  • PrimoChill flex tubing x 6ft (Clear) - H
  • PrimoChill flex tubing x 9ft (Black) - H

MISC. MOD SUPPLIES

• Black Gutless Paracord - H (Night Shark Leftovers)
  • Red Gutless Paracord - P
  • White Gutless Paracord - P
  • Several feet of sleeving (black) - H
  • ~24" of rubber trim (black) - H
  • 20 LED Station/ molex power - H
  • 24" LED (red) x2 - H
  • 24" LED (white) - H
  • 12" 8 pin Extension (black) - H
  • 18" 8 pin Extension (black) - H
  • 24" 24 pin Extension (black) - H
  • 12" 8 pin to 2x 4 pin Extension (black/red) - H
  • 12" SATA cables (red) x3 - H
  • 500mm 180 SATA cables (black) x2 - H
  • 500mm 90 SATA cables (black) x2 - H

TO DO

• Take cases apart down to the bones - Complete
  • Design custom reservoir and send to 3D printer
  • Trim case #2(white) to match height of case #1(grey)
  • Rework motherboard plate to provide management holes
  • Cut and redesign frame to allow for bottom and rear fans
  • Flip back panel in reverse ATX style
  • Price Acrylic vs Aluminum for new back cover, top panel, front cover
  • Order panel material
  • Craft top panel
  • Craft back cover
  • Craft front cover
  • Craft cable routing covers
  • Paint
  • Order any remaining components
  • Test components for bad pieces
  • Install watercooling components
  • Test fit components
  • Install asthetics(fan convers, fan controller)
  • Install main components
  • Redesign waterloop(if needed)
  • Install loop
  • Leak test loop
  • Finalize build
  • Post final pictures and celebrate!!

UPDATES - Most Recent First

More Parts

IMG_0129_zps2bsapilg.jpg
IMG_0130_zps8n8iuhtm.jpg
IMG_0131_zpsrq0tutox.jpg
IMG_0132_zps8gp5eq6v.jpg
IMG_0133_zpshwmlmqlh.jpg
IMG_0134_zps21jjwq7p.jpg
IMG_0135_zps85jcvygl.jpg
IMG_0136_zpsqenttrmb.jpg
IMG_0137_zpsi1uf8wuk.jpg
IMG_0138_zpssgyybwzn.jpg
IMG_0139_zpsh7y6ppw2.jpg

Sketchup Renders

Black and Red?

FrontRight_Black_zpsrlf84abx.jpeg
BackLeft_Black_zpsqanaj7zr.jpeg
Right_Black_zpsij6cwlzl.jpeg
Left_Black_zpsdb6fohhk.jpeg

OR......

White and Red???

FrontRight_White_zpskbqog2cd.jpeg
BackLeft_White_zpsywu0xcu8.jpeg
Right_White_zpsisyrioxt.jpeg

Design Considerations

Air Flow Diagram

AirFlowDiagram_zpscawiwuz7.jpeg

Custom Waterfall Reservoir(for side panel)

Resevoir_zpsgixfnbfp.jpg

First Watercooling Parts Arrive

FullSizeRender_zpslkz4kgmo.jpg

Demolition of Cases

IMG_0083_zpsk8pcdkos.jpg
IMG_0084_zpsr0kbacfm.jpg
IMG_0086_zpsowts22mp.jpg
IMG_0088_zpselrlczyj.jpg
IMG_0089_zpsozlq7egd.jpg
IMG_0102_zpslru55v16.jpg

Last edited:
More destruction and planning

Signature_zpsrhihs0z6.jpg

Good morning modding community!

Just some more tear down and planning. I didn't get much done yesterday but I figured I'd post what I have.

First, I found that not only the two cases I'm working with aren't the same sizes. I knew they weren't the same height, but they are also slightly different in length and also in width. Oh well, I've figured out that the thinner case will be the non mobo side.

Here I am turning the top of one of the old cases into the new backplate for the PSU/Res side of the case. I have drawn in mockups to show how tight fitting things will be.

IMG_0142_zpskbfwlp6t.jpg

More demolition aftermath...

IMG_0124_zpsjnsgbwqp.jpg

Also got my hands on some white rivits. If everyone votes white, they will match. If they vote black, I think it'll give a good industrial feel.(Sorry about the picture, I think the incandescent bulbs were messing with my phone's camera.

IMG_0122_zps8eoci1m5.jpg

Here's a shot of all the case pieces marked for cutting.

IMG_0143_zpsrm7oeh2v.jpg

Also found out that my rivet graveyard is the perfect fit to mark holes for 120mm fans :cool:

IMG_0144_zpshm5qhinl.jpg

Unfortunately that's all I got done this morning :(

That's probably my last update for at least a month while I get used to my no sleep because of baby schedule. Thanks for hanging in there with me. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Update 9/3/15

"FINAL" RENDERS

Hey all,

I was able to finalize my design this morning. except for small tweaks these 3D renders won't change. Additionally, they are the correct dimensions of my cases I'm working with. Below I have put the color schemes side by side for easy comparisons. Let me know what you think.

FR_zpsazfympb9.jpg
BL_zpskwdhzyfn.jpg
Right_zps57muotkf.jpg
Left_zpslifmtiv7.jpg

And the reservoir on the left side.

FinalDragonLeftSideRes_zpstvwzhhys.jpg

Welcome aboard Dalchi and congratulations on the new baby. I agree with the red and black color scheme. Nice renderings.

Questions:

1. Why the Z87 platform. It's a little dated now. Not that it's not a capable platform just not what I'm used to seeing on nice build logs like this one.

2. Kingston SSDNow V300 is another Meh part. Why not Samsung or other better drive?

Just curious as to why. If it's $$ then I totally get it have kids and having gone through college myself. Great start IMO.

Welcome aboard Dalchi and congratulations on the new baby. I agree with the red and black color scheme. Nice renderings.

Questions:

1. Why the Z87 platform. It's a little dated now. Not that it's not a capable platform just not what I'm used to seeing on nice build logs like this one.

2. Kingston SSDNow V300 is another Meh part. Why not Samsung or other better drive?

Just curious as to why. If it's $$ then I totally get it have kids and having gone through college myself. Great start IMO.

$$ is hitting the nail on the head. I originally started this to be a sponsored build but never got the proposals done since I was double majoring in 3 years. I might try to put out a few proposals in a few months, but without being able to promise going to big events/conventions to publicize, I don't see many companies taking the investment.

If money wasn't an issue, I would be getting the newer MSI Z170A GAMING M9 ACK board. :drool: Also there'd be a lot better components all around. I was lucky enough to have all my current watercooling components(fittings and tubing) and some other modding supplies donated by a fellow modder. His donation really up'd the quality of things I can plan for the build. It was definitely a good start to what hopefully turns out to be an awesome build. Even if the build overall doesn't quite hit where I'm hoping for, I am confident the experience and time put into the build will be awesome none the less. :)

Additionally I will add that I've been playing with an actual rendering program and once I can teach myself enough to have a decent render, I'll post some sexy renders for everyone to enjoy. :D

Update 10/02/2015 - 3D Magic

Update 10/02/2015 - 3D Magic

Signature_zpsrhihs0z6.jpg

Good evening everyone!

So my budget has really gotten tighter and I don't want to disgrace this build by doing it halfway. I have gone back to working on my proposal to send to some of the great companies such as MSI, Nvidia, Corsair, MNPCTech and others. While on my breaks from work, I managed to learn enough about the Kerkythea render program to give you guys a taste of what this build should turn out to be. I'm still unsure about the front grill design, but I feel I'm getting close. Let me know what you all think and don't forget to VOTE!.

So are you fans of Black and Red.......

KRender_FrontRight_zpsgwf0scsu.jpg
KRender_Right_zpszi3vskz2.jpg

Or....

White and Red??

KRender_FrontRightW_zpswpcu03ip.jpg
KRender_RightW_zpszjtp0zd2.jpg

The dragon fan guards look a lot like the Mortal Kombat dragon. Not saying that they aren't cool, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Mortal_Kombat=_Dimension_X_Logo.png

The dragon fan guards look a lot like the Mortal Kombat dragon. Not saying that they aren't cool, just thought I'd throw that out there.

View attachment 169551
Yeah I know what your saying. I pulled that one off of a 12 grill set in the sketchup collection. I'm looking to do some artwork for something along the lines of a dragon(or dragons) rising out of flames. That design would take up the whole front. Figure i would incorporate the front LEDs into the design and possibly the on switch as well. But that will have to wait and see what the artist in me can create :D

The bigger question though is which do YOU like best?

Fact, that's much more important than what we think. We don't have to look at it every day.

Haha, that's my problem I love them both =p I'll be happy with either Dark and bold or Clean and sharp. Hahaha, I could say I'm hoping for black so it hides my modding blunders better ;)

Update 10/16/2015 - Bad News

Update 10/16/2015

Greetings fellow modders,

I have some not so great news in regards to the build progress of Double Dragon. I had the unfortunate luck of getting in an accident last weekend. I’m currently recouping from a couple fractured vertebrae and some whiplash. Unfortunately, as you can see below my car is toast. This means the little budget I did have to put into Double Dragon will have to be redirected to my deposit for a new vehicle. So until I can get back on my feet and carve out some time and money, Double Dragon will have to be on hold. I apologize for the delay and hope that my fellow modders will not lose faith in me. Stay tuned and fingers crossed.

The unfortunate distruction…..
IMG_0335.jpg

Holy Hell Dalchi! Dude get yourself right first and for most. We can wait. I'm hoping you have a speedy and full recovery.

Man, looks like you sideswiped a plow. Also looks like you're lucky to be alive, so definitely don't be worried about a silly computer right now.

Holy Hell Dalchi! Dude get yourself right first and for most. We can wait. I'm hoping you have a speedy and full recovery.

Thank you man! Luckily I've been told from a lot of doctors that I heal quickly.

dude honestly no rush, im subbing now looks awesome

Thanks and welcome aboard.

Man, looks like you sideswiped a plow. Also looks like you're lucky to be alive, so definitely don't be worried about a silly computer right now.

Not a plow.... a Ford Explorer.

O.O I have no clue what tried to eat your car but.....

Yeah, no modding for you, just lay in bed, watch some movies.....

On the plus side, there should be some usable parts to salvage off it it.

Haha, I wish I would've though to pull some of the aluminum off of it to make my new panels *laugh* All I have done is sit in this recliner and binge watch Netflix. Honestly, if the wife had taken the baby with her on errands, I'd be down in my workshop in my back brace with jigsaw in hand lol. :rofl: I've never been one to sit still. Well on the plus side I've watch all the Flash episodes and almost finished the Arrow series.

Thanks again all for the kind words. I figured I'd get at lease one telling me to get off my lazy butt and get to work :rofl: As for the build, I will let you all know that I have finalized the front panel design. However that will be my surprise in my "I'm back and ready" update. I do have it on a couple sources that helped me on the basics of the design that the final came out "badass".

Hopefully I won't be down more than a couple months. Thanks for sticking with me. Now off to go do more research on new cars to buy. :confused:

Back