• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange boot/system repair error after GPU upgrade in Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
I'm just trying to figure out what the next step is that I should take.

I recently rebuilt/upgraded my main rig, and was wanting to take some of my parts to upgrade my dad's rig for him. The only thing I had that he could really use (his CPU/RAM are already maxed) was my GPU - Nvidia GT 760. He is running Windows 10 and currently an Nvidia 460gt gpu. Whenever I remove the 460 and put in the 760, it gets stuck halfway through boot saying that the boot record/registry is damaged and needs repaired. The moment I switch back to the 460, it boots like normal.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to remove the driver first (despite them both using the same windows 10 driver?) Will booting off the windows 10 iso (on DVD, of course) and doing a repair install fix things? Do I need to do a system restore back to Windows 7, replace his GPU with the upgrade, then go back to Windows 10 again? Is there something else that I am missing that will make this a lot simpler than what I am thinking of for a fix?

Sounds like +12 V rail out of spec. Or you need to clean PCI-E contacts. (On the 760, clean the slot contacts.)

contacts are clean. both GPU's use PCI-E power only (no extra power connectors). same issue. anyhoo, why would a power issue (which this apparently isn't) show up as a registry/boot error? That line of thought just does not make much sense to me.

Last edited:
Suspects are the PSU or a short in the southbridge or a short in a PCI-E lane.

Again - not a power issue. Please stop trying to 'help' me by suggesting the wrong avenue of thought. The 460 (112/268 watts) uses more power than the 760 (11/155 watts) at idle/load. Next time, please do some research. It IS NOT a power issue - never was. It is a software issue within Windows 10 itself that is causing it to throw a registry error halfway through boot with the 760 installed vs. the 460 installed (which is what was in it when it was upgraded to windows 10 in the first place).

Last edited:
Again - not a power issue. Please stop trying to 'help' me by suggesting the wrong avenue of thought. The 460 (112/268 watts) uses more power than the 760 (11/155 watts) at idle/load. Next time, please do some research. It IS NOT a power issue - never was. It is a software issue within Windows 10 itself that is causing it to throw a registry error halfway through boot with the 760 installed vs. the 460 installed (which is what was in it when it was upgraded to windows 10 in the first place).

I dunno then. I will shut up. :(

drivers. please remove then try again. Also for some reason I'm thinking maybe is there not a pci-e bus speed in bios or pci-e link speed in bios that might cause an issue?

also it maybe best if you completely remove the enum drivers for the pci-e from registry itself. kinda like if your gonna do a fresh install on another motherboard but use current o.s. type deal.

drivers. please remove then try again. Also for some reason I'm thinking maybe is there not a pci-e bus speed in bios or pci-e link speed in bios that might cause an issue?

also it maybe best if you completely remove the enum drivers for the pci-e from registry itself. kinda like if your gonna do a fresh install on another motherboard but use current o.s. type deal.

Guess I will try removing drivers next. The enum from registry? Do you have any links to guides on that? I can't recall ever hearing of such a thing (or if I have, I have totally forgotten it).

Removing the video card diver, installing (any) different video card, then installing a video card driver is still the correct procedure for changing video cards...

If it works without that, that's just luck... ;) This is true even if swapping amd for amd or nvidia for nvidia.

I would do a full driver uninstall, DDU removal in safe mode. power down machine, put in new card, install drivers.

Removing the video card diver, installing (any) different video card, then installing a video card driver is still the correct procedure for changing video cards...

If it works without that, that's just luck... ;) This is true even if swapping amd for amd or nvidia for nvidia.

I would do a full driver uninstall, DDU removal in safe mode. power down machine, put in new card, install drivers.

I've never had this issue before when swapping between GPU's that use the same driver, but eh, first time for anything? I will give it another shot this weekend with the driver removal then install.

I on the other hand have never installed a card since Windows 9x without having minor or major problems unless I followed
1. Uninstall old drivers
2. Insert video card
3. Install new drivers

Please post if this solved your problem, I guess that's the most relevant part ;)

Assuming none of the other suggestions work, might it be a physical issue? Could something in the gpu cooling assembly housing be making contact with something on the mobo and torquing the card causing intemittent or incomplete contact? How well does the card seat in the slot?

I had a similar issue on windows 7 when I upgraded my video card from a 460 to a 770. I doubt this is an option, but I ended up doing a full reformat to remedy it, The suspect being the drivers and the registry entries. The surefire way, I guess.

Back