• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Go ahead with i7 6700k Skylake build or wait for AM4 if it ever comes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

I'm back after a long time away with many many problems and I'm irking for a new project as I scrapped the other 2 due to financial problems.

So Skylake or wait until the end of time for the supposed AM4 platform to be released?

I'm kind of interested to see if all this competing hype is marketing bull**** or it's the real deal.

If you want to build something now, just build it now, no sense in waiting unless it is only a month away and you don't "need" it now. I say go ahead for Skylake.

As an AMD fanboy , I would go for the Skylake. AMD has a lot of catching up to do in terms of outright performance. It seems a bit of a stretch to think they will make up all that ground in a one generation leap. Anything is possible , but the odds are with Intel at present. My $.02

Go with Skylake. I can't recommend an AMD build to anyone that has an intel-capable budget until we actually see them do anything competitive.

Oh , if I had the money for two rigs I would definitely keep an AMD. They're just fun to play with and cheap. If you just want to OC for fun they are a hoot to play with. Unfortunately , the mobo cost for an FX worthy platform really puts a dent in the cost effectiveness ratio.

Recently I see nothing "cheap" in AMD worth to link with "fun". I have more fun with Intel at any price point.
There is no fun if you grab cheap motherboard and have a lot of problems with overheating or general stability while overclocking. There is also no fun when you compare performance in many applications to similar priced Intel rig.
I'm not on any side and I wish to see something good from AMD but it probably won't happen soon ( if ever ).

AMD and cheap is a myth. When you add cooling, compatibility and many other things then you will see that Intel can be cheaper and deliver higher performance. The only exception so far is 860K which you can put in budget gaming rigs and will be better than similar priced Intel.

My mobo and CPU cost me well under $300. I have fun with it playing with voltages and timings. Personal preference , but I would still recommend the Skylake for a new build , especially for somebody's main rig. I'm looking to build a new rig myself within the next year and I'm going to end up going blue , and I really don't like Intel. For the foreseeable future Intel has it wrapped up.

Skylake for sure. Good luck on finding a processor for the next couple weeks though.
Yeah I have looked literally everywhere for a 6700k and have even called Newegg and they claim it's backordered for AT LEAST 3 months.

How could Intel not be prepared for a new processor launch this big?

Who knows...you can buy them with combos in some places. I know ATM just got one, and he is just going to sell the board and take the minor loss...

Why the unavailable $359 i7 6700K? If you're building a gaming rig, the i5-6600K is a better choice and is only $229 at Microcenter and actually available. For overall processing power, the X99 hex-core i7 5820K is more powerful and is only $299 at Microcenter.

DX12 is going to use more cores... a quad is plenty fine but a quad with HT will be better. Eventually. Lol

Last edited:
AMD and cheap is a myth. When you add cooling, compatibility and many other things then you will see that Intel can be cheaper and deliver higher performance. The only exception so far is 860K which you can put in budget gaming rigs and will be better than similar priced Intel.
It wasn't a myth until the FX's, and Intel wasn't any cheaper. They just delivered better performance for the money spent.

FX is for a really long time on the market already :) Intel made in this time ... 4 generations of Core "i" ? I don't remember exactly but was not much time after SB and was close to SB-E premiere.
I just see that with time Intel is finding a way to cover even lower series CPUs and right now you can barely find any AMD which couldn't be replaced by Intel in similar price. I'm not happy about that as market is really boring right now.

Last edited:
Back