• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why I love and hate my AMD gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So i should just stick with my Noctua if im not going for a full custom loop ? tests i have found so far are contradictory, for example the h110i GT, some show 10c+ cooler, others 2c+, and the results for it are on par with the Thermaltake 3.0. How do we explain the dozens of videos of 8350 running full tilt 5ghz 1.5v with a AIO that barely outclasses my own block ?

Or do i just blow around $400 and finally pass over to Intel (which btw i would love to know how the Noctua fares on overclocking)

@Kenrou What were the test systems on each review for the example h110i GT? I doubt they were identical to each other. Also, take into account other environmental aspects of said reviews. In the end, reviews are not something you rely on 100%. They are meant to give you a general idea about the product, but you still end up having to make up your own mind.

Sorry if I come off as a bit terse

If it were my money and doing it again, I went the AIO route with a TT Extreme 2.0 and it's a decent cooler for a 4.7 OC but it wasn't enough for my wants so I have expanded big time from there. It all depends on what you want. A true water cooling system is transferable from one system to the next if done right the first time. So it really is a one time cost that could serve your needs for 10+ yrs. Maybe a new WB at some point but i'm sure you're getting the picture. If you cheap out up front it'll cost you more in the end. Plan it out and go abit too far , then you'll be ready for almost anything.

Ok so what about FSB overclocking ? lower multi = lower voltage = lower temps = higher OC or lower multi = same voltage = same temps ?

Running 4.7ghz 1.392v 56c / 4.8ghz 1.43v 62c.

Ok so what about FSB overclocking ? lower multi = lower voltage = lower temps = higher OC or lower multi = same voltage = same temps ?

Running 4.7ghz 1.392v 56c / 4.8ghz 1.43v 62c.
Makes no difference what so ever.

4.7 is 4.7 regardless on how you got there.

You asked about reviews showing 5GHZ on AIO...... is that stable? Numbers you see tossed around here by me and some of the other guys well are prime stable 24/7. You have to be careful with what you take as fact from some reviews. Even talking to some guy selling this stuff in brick and motor shops.

I could strip down my loop by half probably and still get a decent OC but at what cost, higher temp, stressed parts or instability? If I'm 12 hours in on a video encode and it crashes, I start over again. That's not worth it to me especially if it happens over and over.

Half time show is over..... gotta run.

also, once you hit 5.0 you want 5.1 and so on, so on, so on and even a 6 core above 1.6 vcore still makes a lot of heat you have to deal with.
I can bench my 8350 as high as 5.6 on water and rads alone, so I can say I run my 8350 at 5.6 and post a youtube and be cool like the other guys on there,
but even with my big cooling I can only do the big, heavy lifting at 4.8-5.0 on a 4x 180 rad, so 5.6 is poopy doo.

Back