• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z87-HD3 motherboard fried my SSD or vice versa??!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Admiraltrey

Around a week and a half ago I came home from work to play a few Heroes of the Storm matches and relax... When I booted up my computer, it had a message about IPv4, so I hastily restarted the computer and it said something about IVP6. Well, I was hot and tired and that made no sense, so I restarted and went into BIOS and.... I didn't see my SSD listed! My HDD, however, was listed. So I reset everything in BIOS to default settings and restarted my computer. Then it wouldn't even let me into BIOS at all, so I put a Windows boot CD into my DVDROM and was able to get back into BIOS. Now my DVDROM was the only boot device listed; my SSD and HDD were nowhere to be found.

So I booted up a 15 year old desktop and plugged my SSD into it. Same error message. I unplugged the SDD and connected my HDD. It recognized my HDD. It works fine. So I figured the SSD was just fried and plugged my HDD into my main PC without the SSD... Same problem still.

So because my HDD works on my old computer and not my main one, and my SSD doesn't work on either, I'm assuming that both my motherboard and SSD are corrupted/fried/whatever?

Specs:
My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87-HD3, I have an Adata SP900 128GB SSD and a Hitachi 500gb HDD (it's old). I've got an 800 watt 80 plus bronze power supply. i5 4670K processor 3.40 GB that was overclocked to 3.80 (I disabled the overclocking to see if that was the problem) . Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3 4GB times 2 RAM. EVGA Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 750 2GB graphics card. Not sure if any other components would be relevant here...

I've set all BIOS settings to default. I tried ACHI, UEFI, etc. I've made sure that all SATA ports were enabled. I've taken my CMOS battery out and reset it. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? All of my voltages and everything seem to be OK but I don't see a specific listing for my PSU voltage. I have a Corsair CX500 80 plus bronze PSU I can replace my other PSU with, but I'd rather not do all of that unless I have reason to believe that it's the problem.

Also, I should mention that in the midst of this entire ordeal, I did download the latest stable BIOS update from Gigabyte's website and attempted to update my BIOS through Q-Flash... It errored out when attempting to do so.

It appears to me as if I'm screwed in terms of my motherboard and my SSD here... Both are only about 15 months old and have been well taken care of. I've never had a single problem with this computer until now and I've always kept the temperature under 33 degrees Celsius. All of my parts are still under warranty as far as I know, so I'd like to narrow down the problem and send away what I have to send away and get things fixed... If it's possible to fix the existing hardware without replacing anything, that'd obviously be my favorite scenario because I'd prefer not to go another month without a functioning PC. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Back