• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Read Error Rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b_nicks

So my brother hasn't used his laptop in over a year and claims that it is "broke". I decided to take it home and take a look. I've determined it needs the fan replaced, and judging by the screenshot below, perhaps the HDD too. Any chance of saving it?

hdd.PNG

Anything can be fixed if you are willing to put out the money? Would you be doing the repairs yourself? What is the make and model of the laptop? How much is it worth? If you do the repairs yourself it's only a few hours of time and a few bucks. If you must pay someone to do the labor it very well may not be worth it. Replacing the hard drive is generally very easy and can be done in 15 min. I would certainly give some thought to an SSD instead of a spinner. On the other hand, replacing the fan can often require a complete dismantle of the machine. Let me give you one piece of advice: come up with some system for keeping track of all the little screws. Pictures? Diagrams? Notes?

It's an older HP G62-225dx. I'm leaning towards just replacing the HDD because I can do that on my own no problem. I was able to find a spare 500GB HDD at my workplace so no cost required. If this was my own laptop I would consider a SSD but I'm sure my brother won't know the difference and just be satisfied to have a operational laptop lol.

On other hand, replacing the fan is going to be an absolute nightmare. I've watched videos on how to get to it and yes, I'll need to completely dismantle it. All the way down to removing the mobo. Can't wait!

Hi there.

Since the program indicates that the drive health is bad I would suggest to look for a replacement drive. If you still have access to the data stored on the hard disk - make a backup on a different storage location.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have about the HDD.

Hi there.

Since the program indicates that the drive health is bad I would suggest to look for a replacement drive. If you still have access to the data stored on the hard disk - make a backup on a different storage location.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have about the HDD.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got a 500GB WD Black HDD to replace it with. Just waiting for the replacement fan to arrive so I can piece everything back together.

Back