• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time sub ambient trial/Defrosting dinner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
So overnight I decided to take my first plunge into sub-ambient cooling. To keep things simple for the first go I decided to just immerse my radiator in an ice bath. I unfortunately underestimated the heat generation of my cpu and quickly ran out of ice. So I had a hard decision at 2 in the morning. Run 15 miles to the nearest store for ice or call it quits. So I decided on option three, "defrost dinner". So after a sleep deprived night I decided to post some pics to give everyone a good chuckle hope you enjoy.

Normal system

Defrosting dinner

Last edited:
So overnight I decided to take my first plunge into sub-ambient cooling. To keep things simple for the first go I decided to just immerse my radiator in an ice bath. I unfortunately underestimated the heat generation of my cpu and quickly ran out of ice. So I had a hard decision at 2 in the morning. Run 15 miles to the nearest store for ice or call it quits. So I decided on option three, "defrost dinner". So after a sleep deprived night I decided to post some pics to give everyone a good chuckle hope you enjoy.

Funny stuff, we love cooling solutions like that. Though, if you're going to do such things, you may want to take some precautions on condensation. In the wither time being from the Northeast I will hang my radiator outside my window with antifreeze in the lines. I've seen water temps as low as -15c doing this. Good stuff though thanks for posting it, though where are the results? :)

Funny stuff, we love cooling solutions like that. Though, if you're going to do such things, you may want to take some precautions on condensation. In the wither time being from the Northeast I will hang my radiator outside my window with antifreeze in the lines. I've seen water temps as low as -15c doing this. Good stuff though thanks for posting it, though where are the results? :)

Thanks for the advice. I was not real sure about how to go about wicking away moisture so I ended up stuffing paper towels around everything after I took the pics. I also ran my A/C on max all day before trying this and got it bone dry in my house. I will be doing some more research on how to deal with condensation before my next trial. As I am from the northeast as well I will have to try the radiator out the window trick this winter when I build my test rig. Dont want to fry my main system with something like that. I will get some pics up from my overnight benching session shortly.

AS promised some screenshots from my overnight excursion.
Firestrike = 6975

Geekbench = 16217

PCMarkvantage = 25648

Pifast = 13.5 sec

Cinebench R11.5 = 8.40

Cinebench R15 = 750

Superpi 1m = 7.425 sec

Superpi 32m = 6m 22.530 sec

Wprime 32m = 6.0 sec

Wprime 1024m = 188.632 sec

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if overclocking is what you're after you came to the right place. I will warn you, the bug bites hard especially when you start dipping your toe into Sub ambient cooling. We have a bunch of guys here using DICE/Ln2 for benching purposes to cool our equipment, including myself. If you want to join us in our monthly competitions visit this thread. We also have this section you posted in, if you want to learn how to insulate for sub ambient.

Well if overclocking is what you're after you came to the right place. I will warn you, the bug bites hard especially when you start dipping your toe into Sub ambient cooling. We have a bunch of guys here using DICE/Ln2 for benching purposes to cool our equipment, including myself. If you want to join us in our monthly competitions visit this thread. We also have this section you posted in, if you want to learn how to insulate for sub ambient.

Hey Mandrake thanks for the support. I will have to read up on insulating as i have seen outside temps in the -30c to -40c range. I checked out the link and will be trying my hand at the pcmark bench it is a shame I was not aware of this yesterday while my system was "cold-ish". I will post a screenshot in the other thread with my results. Nothing amazing but respectable for an I5. Thanks again, cya soon.

-Lochekey

Just a little enticement, this is Johan's rad out his window. He posted in your "need sanity" thread, he lives in Canada so he sees pretty darn cold water in the winter when benching on his H2O loop.
Capture.PNG

I have a car rad and fan about that size I wonder if that can be repurposed for winter use.

I have a car rad and fan about that size I wonder if that can be repurposed for winter use.
When there is a will there is a way, Johan and I both use a Danner Mag Drive 700 Gph pump to make sure the chilled liquid, usually 50/50 mix of distilled and glycol, get delivered to the block or blocks. I use my setup for the gpu as well.

very nice build, I have the same case, it's tight and funky to water cool but i have my pump/res in the much cluttered back section.

very nice build, I have the same case, it's tight and funky to water cool but i have my pump/res in the much cluttered back section.

Thanks for the comment. I'm working to finish sleeving all my cables. I plan to move my res to the back with my pump eventually and then want to add a 240 rad up top and mod another in the bottom.

I can see how you would cut the bottom for another rad, but where would you put a storage drive? laptop spinners in the ssd rack?

I am gonna put a hot swap bay in the front 5.25 bay. That way I can easily throw in my extra drive that I clone my ssd to every few weeks. Just in case I screw up my OS, easier to clone back to the ssd then reload everything.

if you're going a-benching you might as well buy 4-5 cheap benching os ssd's, you'll find it's just better that way.
I have one ssd with a cutdown win7 on it and i just clone it to three or four before i bench.

I am gonna put a hot swap bay in the front 5.25 bay. That way I can easily throw in my extra drive that I clone my ssd to every few weeks. Just in case I screw up my OS, easier to clone back to the ssd then reload everything.
Very good idea Lochekey, when you really start pushing while benching, especially if tweaking memory timings. A Borked Os is right around the corner. Having an image makes for a quick fix. I no longer use my Daily Os for benching due to the amount of times I've Borked an Os. I now have as Caddi mentioned specific SSd's for benching only. Usually with multiple partitions and various versions of Windows on them, as some benches prefer different Os'es. A few of us also have stripped versions of Xp, Vista and Win 7 that we use.

I will have to try to get my hands on a copy of :xP and vista. I have been meaning to create a striped version of 7 but I didn't know how much benefit I would see.

I will have to try to get my hands on a copy of :xP and vista. I have been meaning to create a striped version of 7 but I didn't know how much benefit I would see.
All depends on the bench, it take a lot of trial and error if you are going to strip them on your own. Benches such as SuperPi 32m benefit greatly from a lighter Xp 32 Os for example.

This is what I do. I'll look to see which one I have. It works great for what I use it for.

Edit: This is the one I have.
http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/483

I like that thanks for the link. I have been playing with ACAD doing some sketches for building a test bench. I'll have to see if I can incorporate one in addition to my standard system.

Yes something similar is that a drawer from a filing cabinet

Back