• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVR HDDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I'm noticing that I'm having to replace quite a few WD Green HDDs from DVRs that I repair. I know that WD Green drives are not designed for DVRs, so would you expect a high failure rate when used in this application? I understand that surveillance drives (such as WD Purple) are designed more for write cycles, compared to a consumer level desktop drive designed mainly for read cycles.

Secondly, I've noticed a pattern with HDD failures. The DVRs that don't have any case fans tend to have a much higher HDD failure rate than the DVRs with a case fan. Would these higher temperatures be likely to cause excessive HDD failures? The worst combinations tend to be DVRs with no case fans + a WD Green. My methodology isn't exactly scientific as I don't have exact numbers as to how many of each DVR we sell, but these are just my observations from running a repair centre.

Actually I'd think any drive in DVR's would be fine. The difference mainly is the firmware and drive warranties. While Green is more of a storage based device (non-raid) using it in a DVR situation its either on and recording or off. Start and stops are dependent on how much you record to it and I wouldn't think that would be a huge issue. Now I've used 1GB WD Green drives in a Raid 5 PC and eventually a Synology unit for over 3 years without a single issue of failures.

Now on the fan side, I would agree with that statement you made. If you can use a fan or fan is an option, take it! It can only benefit the HDD's. All my drives I've ever had the hottest I've seen them get was 49C and it was hot, no fan, in a tight space. Even my 5 disk Raid 5 setup, the hottest those drives get is 32-34C, typically its in the upper 20's. Cooler drive is a happier drive IMO.

Actually I'd think any drive in DVR's would be fine. The difference mainly is the firmware and drive warranties. While Green is more of a storage based device (non-raid) using it in a DVR situation its either on and recording or off. Start and stops are dependent on how much you record to it and I wouldn't think that would be a huge issue. Now I've used 1GB WD Green drives in a Raid 5 PC and eventually a Synology unit for over 3 years without a single issue of failures.

Now on the fan side, I would agree with that statement you made. If you can use a fan or fan is an option, take it! It can only benefit the HDD's. All my drives I've ever had the hottest I've seen them get was 49C and it was hot, no fan, in a tight space. Even my 5 disk Raid 5 setup, the hottest those drives get is 32-34C, typically its in the upper 20's. Cooler drive is a happier drive IMO.

The hard drive in a DVR is always on. It's always recording whatever program is current being displayed. That is how it creates that 1 hr buffer so you can rewind and pause live TV. Most people (like me) don't ever turn off the DVR box either so it literally is running 24/7. A hard drive running 24/7 in a small enclosure with poor ventilation (and possibly no fan) and it's no surprise they fail pretty often. There is an actual difference in the parts used for enterprise drives and NAS specific drives to operate in these harsher environments.

Back