• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody home?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RL has been going through some upheavals, but I can deal with that.
Dusted off old desktop, saw everything still installed. Fired it up. (yes I did clean the water loop, which was surprisingly still clean)
Bookmarks were still there. Did DL latest BOINC client and fired Rosie back up.

How have you been? It has been quite a while.

(Word of waning to other folks. If you decide to move, make sure HS internet is available. (yes, in this day and age) Up until 2 years ago only 2 choices here. Dial-up or satellite....ugh) Even now, I call it mediocre net.

Where I'm getting ready to move it's sat or <2mb dsl, a far cry from what I have now

Well, I had cable, in a little rural town of 2400 (more cows than people) to the outskirts of a "city" of almost 10,000. Didn't really think it would be an issue. WRONG. it was almost 3 years before we even had a semi-decent cell signal.

U-verse just got out this way. TV, internet, phone on the same line. If I'm downloading Window's updates, I expect a tv to lose it's signal. sigh
Well, it's something.

BTW. I do still have a usb phone modem somewhere around here.

about the same here, 40Mb in the town of 2,000 with perfect cell signal (have a tower on to of the granary right behind my house). Where I'm moving a few miles outside of a town of 18-20,000 spotty cell service at best and no cable lines anywhere in sight. But it's worth it to me to be out of town and in the country.

Same here, plus moving from Maine to SC the winters are a whole lot better. (electricity for computers is cheaper also :cool:)

Going well, don't think we've met. I'm Tom (I have been absent for about 5 years and trying to get caught up.)

Hey guys got a question. Thinking about a new DC rig (and some OCing ;)) Would you folks recommend a 6 core Haswell or a newer quad core? Looking at a 5820k or a 6700k? Yes, I know Haswell is a dead end, but looking at Intel roadmaps, I don't see more than a quad core in the new line-up. Also not looking to break the bank. Maybe flip a coin or make do with what I have. :confused:

Well for the time being, making due with what I have. (though still curious.)
Managed to push the 9550 back up to old clocks. (just a tick over 4 gig.) IBT it did well, just started Prime. Found some old notes and a screenshot of when I initially clocked it. I thought I did well, considering I had to clear CMOS just to get it to boot. Also a year ago, 10 mhz bump in the fsb wouldn't work. Either blue screen or no boot.

Hopefully, I can update my sig. ;)

Last edited:
Same here, plus moving from Maine to SC the winters are a whole lot better. (electricity for computers is cheaper also :cool:)

I feel you there, even Vermont, at least the Connecticut River valley, has better winters than a lot of Maine. Maine tends to snow more than eastern Vermont and western New Hampshire. (Darn nor'easters!)

Makes me glad I live between mountains and in a valley, because there will be less snow and rain.
(Mountains will keep many snow episodes and many rain episodes at bay, when in a valley location.)

Yes, all of Vermont sucked temp-wise in the first quarter of 2015! At least Springfield, Vermont wasn't close to getting the amount of snow that Boston, Portland and Bangor got...

It was just very annoying weather, below-normal daytime temps. with frequent light snow... :(

Last edited:
Well for the time being, making due with what I have. (though still curious.)
Managed to push the 9550 back up to old clocks. (just a tick over 4 gig.) IBT it did well, just started Prime. Found some old notes and a screenshot of when I initially clocked it. I thought I did well, considering I had to clear CMOS just to get it to boot. Also a year ago, 10 mhz bump in the fsb wouldn't work. Either blue screen or no boot.

Hopefully, I can update my sig. ;)

Cool! I was worried that even with a P45 motherboard that it was a fancy anchor!

Reminds me that my Maximus II Gene deserves a Yorkie!

Got a Kentsfield in there right now and it's a tricky ol' thing!
I was in bus error city! :(
Still could be heading right into bus error city again!

Because I can see 378 Mhz FSB being an epic fail for the Kentsfield! Nooo!
FSB termination issues all over the buttox with my Kentsfield!

I still have a chance of getting a higher OC on the Kentsfield, I haven't tried 3.4 yet. At 3.3, at least about 1.40 V for Vcore was required for Linpack to pass.

Should I pop "the big bad wolf" back into the Maximus II Gene? (E8600) (Wolfdale)

I also have an E8400 C0 and 450 Mhz FSB was a piece of cake on August 25, 2013, when at 3.825 Ghz.

Last edited:
Well, I knew it wasn't the board. I did also try it in a UD3P that I have in "spare parts". Different ram, psu, for whatever reason it just wouldn't co-operate. I just accepted that the chip wouldn't take anymore. (4.01 ghz for a few years running DC projects...)

Now, I think it may have been a setting I missed in the bios? Don't really know. But it's been 11 hrs running prime.:) Maybe it just needed to be run @ stock for a while before I threw it off the deep end?? Possibly had to "sneak" up on the fsb setting? (thinking about it, it may have been the old 9800gx2 that failed that messed me up.) Anyhow, sitting at 8.5x472 currently. Old notes tell me that 475 would fail prime in about 1 1/2 hrs, so no point in going higher.
This is under water (thanks baditude) and the chip is an old "EO" stepping I picked up from Tank Guys, back in the day. (maybe??)

Sure, pop the Wolfie back in and see what you get.:)

If all this works out, I'll try to show folks that old hardware can still be relevant (besides this in OCF, not if you want faster, buy faster.:D)
Managed to get wife's old AMD be up to 3.0ghz last weekend, now if the Yorkie will test out at 4.0....

OT, Winters were brutal, but the black flies and mosquitoes may have been worse. No black flies here, haven't had big swarms of mosquitoes either, just a few.
For those that don't know. If mosquitoes were sharks, black flies would be piranhas.

OT, Winters were brutal, but the black flies and mosquitoes may have been worse. No black flies here, haven't had big swarms of mosquitoes either, just a few.
For those that don't know. If mosquitoes were sharks, black flies would be piranhas.

The Appalachians likely saved Springfield, Vt from a snowmageddon and a rainmageddon!

Likely the same with the mountains in New Hampshire...

Late July and August OTOH was vice-versa, seemingly no major chill spell in sight.

The sun was keeping most mosquitoes away during late July, August and September. Hooray!

The mosquitoes were bad in June and early July.....
(At least out in the boonies.)

Very cool. Haven't really been following the weather up north. Sold the snowplow so no point:D (some friends were complaining that they still had snow in their dooryard when I was complaining that it was 90* here)
I lived less than 10mi outside Augusta, so the weather was what ever it wanted to be. Northern, southern, coastal storms, didn't matter. We were always at the edge of them.
Currently in drought conditions here, nothing like California, but almost 8" below normal.

FWIW, prime blend failed. Forgot to up the voltage on my ram and set the proper ram ratio.:-/ Some things I didn't have the proper notes for.:facepalm:
Oh well, learning experience. (again)

Welcome to the team The_Foldinator :thup:. If you want a little history of the team, read the "Rosetta Status" sticky on top of the page.

Welcome to the team The_Foldinator :thup:. If you want a little history of the team, read the "Rosetta Status" sticky on top of the page.
thanks bud I will have a nice read later :)

Rosseta@home and F@H are running rather fine on my QC9550/HD6850(test setup) not losing to many PPD on the Ati card which I already found a wonder :p
but on my rig with the 2x GPU's(qc 8400/GTX680/GTX760) I can hardly run it together losing points on both.
I did not test it on my main rig yet but is there anything I need to know ? I am aware that 2x GPU isn't the best option to have it running together(dividing the GPU's later when I have updated my hardware)..

I have more time later so I can read all the stickey threads and test it some more...

I'll be back :salute:

I've got 2 desktops, each with a card recently put on folding. What I did is set BOINC to use 75% of the CPU, that will leave 1 cpu core to feed the card folding. Right or not, that's currently what I'm trying. In your case, 50%, as you have 2 gpu's to feed.

Hopefully someone with more dual project experience will pop in to help, and if I'm doing it wrong, correct me.

you will need to leave a core/thread free for each GPU. so a quad running 2xGPU on FAH would need to be set 50% CPU for Rosetta, 75% for 1xGPU.

Back