• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What was your first CPU upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
fx 8350 is the first I got to boot in my home built attempts, the first that I put together was a 965 rig that would not boot, our friend Trents got me squared away on both rigs.

486dx2 to i486 Overdrive here
those chips were heavy

IIRC, in 2000, I had a 486 SX 25 Mhz system that had an upgrade socket for a DX version that I bought for $100 or approximately $100 in 1998. I found a 486 DX on the floor and pushed it into the socket and booted like nothing, but, the temp got to at least 160 F on idle! I needed a heatsink! So, I went to RadioShack for a heatsink, LOL.

(IIRC, that was in late summer or early fall)

In December, 2000, I got a Soyo super socket 7 motherboard (SY-5EMA+) for a K6-2 450 with 128 MB of my first SDRAM!

The Soyo SY-5EMA+ motherboard for some reason came with the DIP switches set to underclock my K6-2 to 300 Mhz and changed it to make it 450 Mhz and still worked fine when at the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center school tech ed. computer room.

Unfortunately, a while later, when it was in my bedroom, I had random Windows 98 SE crashes and random Windows 98 SE errors, usually during installation or when the installation looks fine, it ends with error message

"Explorer
This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

and message "EXPLORER.EXE caused X" and the shell would keep crashing, so it meant I had to reinstall Windows again and that only occurred sometimes, it seemed to stop when I left the PC off for a bit. Seems that the processor temp got too high, like it was overclocked to the sky!
(And that was even when at stock! I was furious!)

The upgrade I got in summer, 2001 was a Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard with an Athlon T-bird 900 Mhz and Windows 98 SE never errored like that!

The only problem I had, until July 8, 2001, IIRC,
(I got it on June 28, 2001) was the buggy BIOS, related to Vcore, made the PC crash without any error messages when idle and almost returned the motherboard and processor!

On July 8, 2001, IIRC, when I was thinking about returning the motherboard and processor, I was on the internet at my family's house, with a Pentium 133 and a 28.8 K modem then checked the motherboard maker's web site and found the workaround:

Set the Vcore to "-0.025V".

Never crashed like that again! And was confirmed to be safe when I let it run a portion of Goldeneye for hours. (On PJ64, IIRC)

It seemed stabler than my K6-2 system...

Last edited:
IIRC, in 2000, I had a 486 SX 25 Mhz system that had the an upgrade socket for a DX version that I bought for $100 or approximately $100 in 1998. I found a 486 DX on the floor and pushed it into the socket and booted like nothing, but, the temp got to at least 160 F on idle! I needed a heatsink! So, I went to RadioShack for a heatsink, LOL.

(IIRC, that was in late summer or early fall)

In December, 2000, I got a Soyo super socket 7 motherboard (SY-5EMA+) for a K6-2 450 with 128 MB of my first SDRAM!

Last Soyo I had was a Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum.

My first 3D accelerator was the mighty 3Dfx VooDoo II 12mb 2x in SLI back in the late 90s *lol at all those who think SLI and Crossfire are new ideas*

Couldn't tell you exact dates, but the first pc that was MINE that was custom built by a local guy had a AthlonXP 2100+ in it with a Thermaltake Volcano 11+ screamer attached to it, this was back in 2002 I believe and my very first computer just for me to game on and do whatever on aaInT5f.gif

The first upgrade for cpu I got for it was an AthlonXP 3000+ Barton. Fun times.

AthlonXP 3000+ Barton. Fun times.

That came out in 2003 and I got one that was a pull, in 2005. (also manufactured in 2003, but beyond week 39 or 38, so a locked multi :( )

IIRC, in 2000, I had a 486 SX 25 Mhz system that had an upgrade socket for a DX version that I bought for $100 or approximately $100 in 1998.

Actually, in 2000, IIRC, found some RAM from a 486 that ended up being a freebie and thus upgraded the RAM from 8 MB to 20 MB!

The reason I got into AMD, and have been with them ever since, is back when AMD did their Extreme Performance Project, introducing the Athlon XP. I won a board, an XP 1600+, and a shiny metal pen *which got crushed by a truck*

Im easy to win over, give me computer parts lol

My first upgrade went from a 10MHz 286 to a 50MHz 486DX (not a DX2). That was huge back then. lol

does it matter weather we did it ourselves or had an oem do it?
I had one of the first alienware quad core, amd, liquid cooled units, they had me send it back and upgraded the cpu, but I can't remember from what, but I think they put in a 9850.

I went from a +3000 Barton in an E-Machine to a X2 +3800 Toledo in an Asus A8N-X with a 7600GT and 2 GB of RAM. That was also my first HWBOT submission with a screaming 2940.81MHz.

The first CPU I used in a machine I bought was a Motorola 68000 in a Commodore.

The first chip I used to build a machine was a Cyrix Cx486 (S or DX, I can't remember).

I've never actually upgraded a CPU as such as I just build a whole new machine.

486 sx 66 to dx4 100??? Or pentium 100 to 166?? I remember some Cyrix chips before that or during that time? Mid 90s.

Then it was nothing until around 2003 or so with amd s754... Newcastle 2800+ to 3200+.

First PC I owned had an Intel Pentium III 866MHz (slot 1 IIRC). It was old and slow (and I couldn't change anything in the BIOS hardly at all), but there are still some times when I miss that PC.

I upgraded to an AMD Socket 754 Sempron 3000+ (1.8GHz) (SDA3000AIO2BX), first actual upgrade on the same platform was to an Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2GHz) (ADA3200AIO4BX) about four years later.

First PC I owned had an Intel Pentium III 866MHz (slot 1 IIRC). It was old and slow (and I couldn't change anything in the BIOS hardly at all), but there are still some times when I miss that PC.

Typical early-2000s boredom. (regarding the BIOS options) But, that processor was the fastest I saw for Crotched Mountain school PCs in 2002. (Greenfield, NH)

Only RJA's T-bird could kill them!
The only reason RJA was ahead of the processor competition was because of Nintendo 64 emulation!

AFAIK, RJA was the only Athlon'er on the Crotched Mountain Rehabilitation Center campus!

The 866s probably came out in 2001 or 2000. They may have been as new as 2002. Pentium IIIs were apparently still being manufactured alongside Pentium 4s!

Last edited:
1st PC I ever personally owned was Pentium 1 with windows 3.1.... complete with Doom 2... those were the days...lol...

gave that away to a friend and invested in a VIA mobo with 2.4GHz non HT P4, my interest in PC's and OCing grew pretty fast, then graduated to 1st generation LGA775 mobos with a 520 P4... and the advances of 1st gen DDR2... woooohoooo! :eek:
This was also my first attempt at OC a cpu and "hands on" hardware installations... yikes!! lol.... crazy days...

Last edited:
For machines I built myself: went from a 1.4ghz AMD thunderbird to a 2500+ Barton

Back