• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Overclocker seeks advice on overclocking Phenom II X6 1090T.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you tested the CPU with the proper ram timings of CL9 at 1600 ? I would start with the CPU multi and test stability, if failure add some voltage to the CPU untill you reach your thermal limit of ~55c. Then work on the other busses.

How am i supposed to do the increments, i mean which one goes first ? The CPU multiplier, the HT Link multiplier or the CPU/NB multiplier.

For example i will increase the CPU multiplier and then test , increase the HT Link multiplier and test, increase the CPU/NB multiplier and test. The flow goes like this right ??

Good question and I wasn't clear on that. Increase them all by 1x increments together at the same time. At least we will go with that at the outset. We may have to introduce some differential later.

Have you tested the CPU with the proper ram timings of CL9 at 1600 ? I would start with the CPU multi and test stability, if failure add some voltage to the CPU untill you reach your thermal limit of ~55c. Then work on the other busses.

JH45, looks like his memory timings are plenty relaxed at a FSB of 240mhz and RAM at 1600mhz.

s33k3rgr, the values you see in the CPU-z SPD tab under the XMP-800 column are what the manufacturer recommends when your RAM is running at 1600 mhz as it is now. At some point you would want to manually set them in bios to what you see in the SPD tab under XMP-800. The Memory tab shows your current timings and they are very relaxed. The bigger the numbers, the more relaxed the timing is. Tighter timings give better performance. Make sure your RAM voltage is manually set to 1.65 as the SPD tab shows that is what the manufacturer recommends at 1600 mhz.

Attachments

• FSB.PNG
    FSB.PNG
    75.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Timings.PNG
    Timings.PNG
    95.4 KB · Views: 58
JH45, looks like his memory timings are plenty relaxed at a FSB of 240mhz and RAM at 1600mhz.

s33k3rgr, the values you see in the CPU-z SPD tab under the XMP-800 column are what the manufacturer recommends when your RAM is running at 1600 mhz as it is now. At some point you would want to manually set them in bios to what you see in the SPD tab under XMP-800. The Memory tab shows your current timings and they are very relaxed. The bigger the numbers, the more relaxed the timing is. Tighter timings give better performance. Make sure your RAM voltage is manually set to 1.65 as the SPD tab shows that is what the manufacturer recommends at 1600 mhz.

Should i do what you recommend here first and then start to up the Ratios (CPU, HP ..etc) or leave it to the end ??

Well the last I saw of your temps , you were in the low 50c on the core which is getting close to the end of your journey. I would get that ram set up and tested before I went any further. Just having it performing properly may add a bit of heat.

Well the last I saw of your temps , you were in the low 50c on the core which is getting close to the end of your journey. I would get that ram set up and tested before I went any further. Just having it performing properly may add a bit of heat.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. The memory working faster will make the CPU work a little harder.

s33k3rgr, you will find a long list of timings in bios when you take that control off Auto. Most of them can be left alone. You only need to concern yourself with those that show in the Memory tab and the SPD tab of CPU-z. We call those "primary" timings. Most or all of them are in the first section of the list of timings in bios. Sometimes the terminology used for individual timings used in the bios will vary from what you see in CPU-z. When in doubt, take a guess at which one corresponds in bios and make a small numerical change. In other words, don't go from 11 down to 8. Go from 11 down to 10 and then get back into Windows and look at the CPU-z Mem tab and see if the timing parameter you intended to change is the one that was actually affected by the change you made in bios. That way you are not likely to encounter immediate instability so that you can't even get into Windows. If you need help figuring which ones to change we're here for you.

Hopefully this will make it easier. All other timings leave on auto and set voltage to 1.65 as trents said. This page comes from your manual so I hope the names line up with your bios options

giga mem.JPG

Thank you guys. I'll apply them as soon as i can . Too busy those days.

The change i made to the voltage to 1.65V

20150925_181237.jpg

The change i made to the timings (memory and SPD tabs from CPU-Z)

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG

And after that i run Prime95 for 20 mins

Capture11.JPG Capture22.JPG

OK, I would try to up the multiplier for the CPU by 1 and test again. Your temps aren't too high yet but they're getting there. I'm just surprised we can't get more that 3.2 out of that CPU.

Kingson RAM. Oh boy! That's not good. Kingston often doesn't play well with AMD. A well documented Problem.

s33kgr5r, Any particular reason you left your CR at 2T. SPD indicates it will work with 1T in the memory timings.

Last edited:
Ok i up'ed all the ratios by x1 (CPU, HT, NB) and run Prime95 for almost 20 mins. I managed to grab a screen with the temperatures...

Capture1111.JPG

... and then i got this

20150925_194835.jpg

s33kgr5r, Any particular reason you left your CR at 2T. SPD indicates it will work with 1T in the memory timings.

Where does it suggest that ?? I didn't see that.
In SPD tab at XMB-1600 it doesn't point to any value.

I suggested 2T since you're running 4 sticks of ram. Before you add any VCore I would suggest that since you are running a lot of ram try adding a couple of ticks to the CPU NB VID control setting in BIOS. Typically you would change those busses one at a time and test in between so you have an idea where things went wrong

Oh, if you are running 4 sticks of RAM then you definitely need to set the CR at 2T. Didn't realize you were running 4 sticks.

When running two sticks of RAM then 1T is generally appropriate. In the CPU-z SPD tab if there is no value for CR stated then it is by default 1T when running 2 sticks of RAM.

Johan45, were you the one who figured out why Kingston didn't play well with AMD or was it someone else? Somebody figured out that one or more of the timings needed to be set to something other than what SPD showed as the SPD values were keyed to Intel CPUs.

Last edited:
Ok i up'ed all the ratios by x1 (CPU, HT, NB) and run Prime95 for almost 20 mins. I managed to grab a screen with the temperatures...

View attachment 169156

... and then i got this

View attachment 169155

What we call the "Blue screen of death". Something needs to be adjusted in your overclock settings. More CPU vcore? More CPU/NB voltagte? I think I had asked you to increase the CPU/NB voltage to 1.25 but it looks like from post #69 you have not done that. It is still on "Normal".

What do you mean by sticks of memory? I run with 2 x 4gb which means 2 sticks if I am thinking correctly.

Sorry I had it confused with someone else who had 4x2Gb it happens. Either way you have upped the CPU and NB speeds so more voltage will be needed we just have to figure out where. I still vote for the CPUNB as Trents said.

Back