• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought a Crosshair V Formula-Z, retiring my Sabertooth 990FX R2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisjames61

I may have just wasted $200 but what the heck. Especially since I am hardly a hard core overclocker like many here. Plus I enjoy using my Crossblade Ranger and A10-7870 based rig as my main computer lol! A man has to have hobbies.

now you will have ALL the knobs to twist and buttons to push and drive yourself crazy!!!

ASUS ROG boards for AMD have about the same support as regular motherboards. There is no special BIOS team for AMD and BIOS support is shorter than for Intel ( count that they fix all main issues and won't waste more time ). No one is also sharing any special beta BIOS versions for these boards. So what I want to say is that I wouldn't expect anything much better from AMD ROG boards than from regular series like Sabertooth or Deluxe. The only thing that is worth to pay some more is better power section and less problems with cooling. It makes a huge difference when you decide to overclock CPU on sub 0 temps ( like LN2 ).

I had CHV and ( hard to believe ) I liked it more than most boards for Intel but support was really bad. To solve some BIOS issues I had to use modded BIOS based on parts of MSI 990FX BIOS. ASUS support fixed some issues about half year later.

When I was testing FM2 then there was no ROG board so I can't say much about it but ASRock Extreme 6+ was beating every available board that time ... and for me it was still too fragile and far from perfect. All who were overclocking FM2+ on sub 0 temps were using only that ASRock as it was best designed board which could handle higher voltage and much higher max clocks.

Got my board. Got my build done. Installed Windows 10 on a 500 gig Samsung SSD. For a day I had nothing but problems with CSM module. Had it enabled. Secure boot was off. Other OS was selected. Sometimes I would get the error and have to putz around and do a CMOS reset then it would boot. Then it wouldn't. Now all seems well. Funny thing is I changed nothing. This board has more options than my Crossblade Ranger. The BIOS is incredible. I don't know what any of it does lol!

just start pushing buttons and twisting knobs, if you don't do that just buy an intel.

I have said before the CHV-Z compared to the Sabo was a more extensive model related to the BIOS. More options in it along with some options being more extensive in range. The BIOS is the main difference and can be confusing with everything it has. However if you ever figure it out you will love it.

My pleasure. If you read through the whole guide there is a lot of useful info there. There is also a lot of info that makes me say..Um What?

I found a few of them mislabeled, they should have been labeled "bork your whole os" button, press the + key to continue borking.

Yeah the Sabertooth has been know as one of the tackiest boards out there but it's still tough as nails and I have nothing against them. I don't build for looks.

Nothing wrong with creativity like the NF4 UT, have one of these.

glow-board.jpg

Yeah the Sabertooth has been know as one of the tackiest boards out there but it's still tough as nails and I have nothing against them. I don't build for looks.

I like both my Gen 1 and R2 Sabertooth boards. They did everything I needed. I just wanted a board to match my Crossblade Ranger.

Back