• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does HTC Corp. count as a vendor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

Well I want to gripe about them even if they dont :)

Ive got an HTC smartphone which Ive toyed around with a bit. Unlocked the bootloader, added a custom rom, custom kernels, etc. Its been running fine for nearly a year and yesterday I dropped it on the ground and it was a terrible fall for such a short distance. It popped like a water ballon . The battery went one direction the back cover anothers, and the device itself slid so far under the car that I couldnt reach it without moving the vehicle. After that it developed a problem with the screen where it would see touch info in places where it shouldnt. Here's where the fun starts.

HTC helps you to unlock the bootloader. As part of the process they make you check a bunch of boxes that say your warranty could be voided by the unlocking. I read the checkboxes and understood that warranty could be seen as voided simply because of the unlocked bootloader. Could being the operative phrase. So when my device started having its touchscreen troubles, I decided to check in with HTC customer service to see what types of things would count towards a voided warranty. This is when I became angry. According to the rep I spoke to, there are no criteria. Unlocking voids the warranty. No questions. No recognition for the fact that it is CLEARLY a hardware problem. Just simply, your bootloader is unlocked so your warranty is void.

Dont get me wrong, I was prepared for such things when I unlocked the device. Ive never had an unrecoverable software problem before in a fistful of devices, with atleast two of them being HTC. This problem occurred directly after a hell of a fall (which could be the only reason for the screen failure). I would think there might be some sort of way for the customer reps to sort this. I understand that there may not be, but then why would there be all that "may void your warranty" type of language instead of "will void" ?

The end of the story is that since the warranty was void, I took the thing apart and reattached the ribbon cable that had loosened in the fall . I still dont like how they handled the situation. What a great customer experience ruined by unworthy warranty service.

Back