• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which heat sink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Efonzerellie

I have a H220 but I'm tired of hearing the pump ticking. I have two Gentle Typhoon AP15's and am looking for a solid heat sink around $70 that I can push/pull.
Is Cooler Master 212 good enough, or is anything else worth getting?

I have a H220 but I'm tired of hearing the pump ticking. I have two Gentle Typhoon AP15's and am looking for a solid heat sink around $70 that I can push/pull.

If that pump is ticking, it's ether going bad or has stoped, I have a Nepton 280L and the pump stoped running but was making a ticking sound and the CPU got over heated and the PC did a shut down to save the CPU and MB.

Doubtful a CM 212 will get you near the 4.9 Oc you're showing in your signature if that is your goal. To be even close you're looking at a Noctua NH-D15/14, Phanteks PH-TC14PE or equivalent.

LOL ED, was thinking the same.

I would contact Swiftech and file a warranty claim if it is making abnormal noises.

I forgot that I set my clock 4.6Ghz a while back because I thought 4.9Ghz was making Witcher 3 crash. I'm fine with running 4.6Ghz. I think I might as well just go with a NH-D15.
At 4.6Ghz I kept the volts at 1.3V and hottest core has been 68C max. The ambient room temp has been around 22C.

Regarding an RMA, I bought my H220 from FrozenCPU. Would a Paypal invoice suffice?

Last edited:
I am done tweaking my cpu for now, least till i reorient my 212 evo to face the rear of the case and get better airflow.
my room is at a constant 26c ambient, and right now, cpu is at 4.17Ghz idling at 46c @ 1.308 volts.....

I forgot that I set my clock 4.6Ghz a while back because I thought 4.9Ghz was making Witcher 3 crash. I'm fine with running 4.6Ghz. I think I might as well just go with a NH-D15.
At 4.6Ghz I kept the volts at 1.3V and hottest core has been 68C max. The ambient room temp has been around 22C.

Regarding an RMA, I bought my H220 from FrozenCPU. Would a Paypal invoice suffice?
you would have to see what swiftest says... I'm sure that would be fine though.

Following up, sent the H220 in for repair and installed the NH D15.
temps have been almost exactly identical on both coolers for normal gaming/general use.
NH-D15 is very nice and quiet.

Here you go - $24.95 -http://www.performance-pcs.com/prolimatech-megahalems-black-series-cpu-heatsink-for-intel-amd.html
Can't beat the price to performance ratio on this. Just add fans

Here you go - $24.95 -http://www.performance-pcs.com/prolimatech-megahalems-black-series-cpu-heatsink-for-intel-amd.html
Can't beat the price to performance ratio on this. Just add fans
Think the OP already purchased the NH-D15 Rod but I do agree with you, if I didn't already have 2 Megahalems already I'd be all over this. They are damn good heatsinks and will near the same temps as the NH D15.

I'd grab one but have no use for it. 212 in the air cooled folding rig and a H80 sitting on the sidelines basically new and hasn't really been put to use yet. lol

Nonetheless OP, hope you get a replacement and it all works out in the end. Keep us up to date.

I can tell you this knoober, It's neck and neck with my Thermalright Extreme Ultra 120 on my Fx 8350 and about 10c better then my Cm 212 +, using the same fans on all 3 heatsinks. I also recall seeing testing where it was within 1-2 c of the Noctua NH D14. It's a damn good heatsink and for $24.00 a steal, if I already didn't have two I'd buy another.

:bang head .........I almost bought one just now. Was in the final steps as all I had to do was place order and some other things on their site caught my eye. My ADD kicks in overdrive and than came back to realization, that dammit the price is so good that I MUST have it even though I won't use it OR swap it with my 212+ but once I added the shipping, I started walking backwards. It came out way more than I would like too. If it wasn't for that much for shipping or at least stayed below $30, I would have done it.

Ok, grats to whomever grabs one as I'll wait this one out. DAMMIT! :rofl:

:bang head .........I almost bought one just now. Was in the final steps as all I had to do was place order and some other things on their site caught my eye. My ADD kicks in overdrive and than came back to realization, that dammit the price is so good that I MUST have it even though I won't use it OR swap it with my 212+ but once I added the shipping, I started walking backwards. It came out way more than I would like too. If it wasn't for that much for shipping or at least stayed below $30, I would have done it.

Ok, grats to whomever grabs one as I'll wait this one out. DAMMIT! :rofl:
I'm waiting for kryonaut 3ml to come back in stock and then I'll grab one. That shipping males it tough to justify without grabbing something else. Although anyway you look at it, it's a great deal for half the cost of something comparable.

Back