• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD AM3+ Motherboard VRM Database

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
I'm currently working on a fun project, which has taken longer than expected. I am in great need of help. I need a list of active VRMs on AM3+ mobos, and surprisingly not all of this information is easily accessible. It is now time to call for help from the rest of the community.

Please help me fill out the table below. If you have any of the following motherboards, I would greatly appreciate it if you could pass along the information.

Destroy AMD AM3+ Motherboards
OEM Model VRM Chipset Separate NBv?
ASRock Fatl1ty 990FX RT8868 No
Extreme4 970
Pro3 970M
N68-GS4 GeForce 7025
Extreme9 990FX Chil 8328 Yes
Extreme3 970
RX881 980DE3
Extreme3 990FX
Performance 3.1 970
Extreme6 990FX
Killer 3.1 990FX
PRO3 970
MSI 970A-G43
970A-G46 UP1601
Gaming 970
760MA-P34(FX)
990FXA-GD65V2
990FXA-GAMING
SLI Krait Edition 970A UP1601
Biostar TA970

Yeah theirs doesn't give VRM model name though. Kinda important. :)

Yeah theirs doesn't give VRM model name though. Kinda important.
For who? The important parts are listed there... how many phases, if its heatsinked and recommended for overclocking.

Can you explain why knowing the VRM chip is important? I have never seen anyone, ever, ask for that. About the only thing I can think of is if it doubled the phases type thing. Do tell... I am at a loss.

For who? The important parts are listed there... how many phases, if its heatsinked and recommended for overclocking.

Can you explain why knowing the VRM chip is important? I have never seen anyone, ever, ask for that. About the only thing I can think of is if it doubled the phases type thing. Do tell... I am at a loss.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/760933-Destroy-AMD/page6

To those that can't access this thread, basically I'm going to strap a lot of power to a motherboard and push CPUs to their absolute maximum. The process of which needs to be carefully flushed out before any attempt is made. More attempts = more money, not good for me. I'm looking to do this project with as few loss as possible, and I need a lot of data before I even begin.

Page 3 of that thread... cool. Now, can you tell me why it is important without sending us all on a wild goose chase please?

I can't access the page linked and i to would like to know why the vrm part# matters.
sorry, I don't have any of the lised boards.

Page 3 of that thread... cool. Now, can you tell me why it is important without sending us all on a wild goose chase please?

he wants to know which VRM it is, so he knows how that specific VRM works, and knows which board he wants to try this on, i think.

Ahh... now that makes sense and was a straightforward explanation. :)

That said, you can try googling reviews of said boards and see if they are listed there.

Good luck!

@ed

I've already googled imaged, and looked at reviews, and have taken all other approaches apart from emailing each company individually. Hence why I am not trying to get some community help.

From what I can see the Asus boards like CHVz and Sabo use a self labelled Digi+ chip, you may just have to email ASUS about that. They do have separate CPUNB circuits. That is the chip you want right. Power regulation?

Asus and Gigi boards cannot be used. So AMD has a standard for their voltage regulators called the SVI 2.0. This document is very restricted even at the place I work. Basically someone from AMD has to sit next to me in order to view the document.

I'm looking for VRMs that have a lot of documentation so that I can reverse engineer everything and hack into the power plane. CPUs require a lot of control with the VRM due to a lot of power and thermal requirements. There is also a very specific voltage bring up procedure that has to be followed with these new CPUs. If you don't do it correctly than the CPU can be fried, or the mobo will never POST.

Back