• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 CPU Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just out of curiosity if one bought the setup with the purge kit and used it on a case the owner already had. Would one just need to make sure the case was properly sealed from air in order to use the purge kit or is more involved then that?

Some more food for thought. Any component with heatpipes (i.e. GPU's, northbridge/Mosfet heatsinks) run the risk of bursting at those temps. Heatpipes generally contain water in them. How much is not known but is a concern for those of us who place their rigs outside to bench in the deep winter. Just something to ponder.

Just out of curiosity if one bought the setup with the purge kit and used it on a case the owner already had. Would one just need to make sure the case was properly sealed from air in order to use the purge kit or is more involved then that?
It is a sealed case with that will not allow siphon of O2. To DIY does not guarantee no O2 siphon. The window has to be properly fitted for the io hose and the purge hose fitting and sealed. Generally if someone is really handy, they could do it and I could recommend some sealing practices sizes materials etc, but not guarantee or warranty anything against ice build-up. But to answer your ? Yes and yes

It is a sealed case with that will not allow siphon of O2. To DIY does not guarantee no O2 siphon. The window has to be properly fitted for the io hose and the purge hose fitting and sealed. Generally if someone is really handy, they could do it and I could recommend some sealing practices sizes materials etc, but not guarantee or warranty anything against ice build-up. But to answer your ? Yes and yes
Thanks

How flexible is the main line. I ask since many boards, the CPU placement varies. Would that require a different window is what I'm asking

How flexible is the main line. I ask since many boards, the CPU placement varies. Would that require a different window is what I'm asking

It's pretty flexible when its warm (ie setting up) When you freeze it, the LN2 delivery hose insulation stiffens (as does the purge hose). The delivery hose is only so flexible though as it is metal cryo hose (the core within the insulation you see overlaid with the pretty black braid). So yes, differing placement of the chilled components will require different windows. Right now between the three boards we have tested in the vids, there are two windows (as going from the AM2 to the LGA775 was pretty close placement-wise). For the DIY'er it is a matter cutting a new piece of plastic down drilling mount holes and adhering edge seals. Not too difficult for the Handy Manny. We are a small organization, so our time is your time - and although there is no guarantee on your workmanship, technical support for your tinkering is always available.

I guess my question is how would this work in open benching? Pretty much that is all I do. I don't have the time to switch out setups in a case, usually when I'm testing benching it is on multi setups, changing out cards or boards and CPUs.

Thanks

I guess my question is how would this work in open benching? Pretty much that is all I do. I don't have the time to switch out setups in a case, usually when I'm testing benching it is on multi setups, changing out cards or boards and CPUs.

Thanks

It would work fine with open setups. Insulation would be necessary, but you're already a pro at that. Swapping components would be just the same as what you're doing now. I guess you could think of it as a majorly controlled pot. Before switching setups if you've been cooling, you would ramp (warm) by raising the set point or selecting a ramp profile (instead of heating w a torch) unscrew the mount screws, dismount and clean thermal paste, apply paste remount and screw it down, set your new set point or choose a cooling profile, and away you go! Also, this system can be used in tandem with another OCC to cool a single GPU (at the present configuration) and when we have finished the design of our GPU chuck, multiple GPU's, but that's a little down the road - maybe a couple months.

So, we would have to demount and remount to change temperature set points?

No I believe he was talking about changing to a different cpu and then starting up at a new set point or using a different cooling profile if you had one programmed. If you want a different temperature you just change the controller and let the system adjust presumably.

OK so basically like running a chiller or phase change (LN2) style, except you can heat the line and swap out faster but still will require the usual paper towel and foam around the CPU socket :).

Then it's a matter of cost rather big $$$$ and you have to have access to a LN2 supplier as well as live in a house to handle the 200 Lt tank :).

No I believe he was talking about changing to a different cpu and then starting up at a new set point or using a different cooling profile if you had one programmed. If you want a different temperature you just change the controller and let the system adjust presumably.

Exactly!

OK so basically like running a chiller or phase change (LN2) style, except you can heat the line and swap out faster but still will require the usual paper towel and foam around the CPU socket :).

Then it's a matter of cost rather big $$$$ and you have to have access to a LN2 supplier as well as live in a house to handle the 200 Lt tank :).

$wise, It's all in how you look at it. The cost of a pot is around $250 as far as I know, then there's pot/board insulation and the ever present ice demon, and the learning curve on how to handle LN2 and guestimate temps and the handling of LN2 with danger of getting burned. Also, your LN2 just boils away in your thermos or spills in pouring instead of (OCC-wise) actively cooling with just the right amount to achieve your desired temperature thus saving LN2. As far as the tank goes, at this point you will need to have a room that dewar can be used in as the OCC must be connected to a Dewar. I am however talking with a company who is interested in outfitting smaller dewars with 50 psi pressure regulators. That will be coming, but is only in the works now. I'm sure competitive sites like some of the gatherings of OC'ers I have seen would welcome an alternative to pouring, which I have heard (whether true or not) has been banned in some venues because of the safety issues. Lots of doors opening here hopefully! So there's the initial investment, yes. But I think the benefits will outweigh the initial costs. . . . and Oh I forgot - the benefit of solo cruise mode overclocking from behind the keyboard. :D

So, we would have to demount and remount to change temperature set points?

You can set the set point by selecting the set point screen on the OCC and simply pressing the up and down buttons and let the OCC do its thing! No dismount needed. Dismount is only if you want to swap out a cpu/gpu and or change your hardware setup.

Just wanted to share a little conversation from another thread:

I have a 160L low pressure dewar and as someone stated on XS you lose about 50% to the air putting it in a thermos. That would be awesome to avoid that.

But mostly I want one for superpi 32m. If I don't have to monitor temps for cpu I can pay attention to ram pot
It would be wicked awesome to do 5.5ghz or 6ghz efficiency testing on skylake for ddr4

Have you talked to gunslinger or has he seen this yet? he said he went through 500liters a month can't imagine that without a pressurized dewar
Is there a page on hwbot? Thats where alot of ln2 pros gather, I imagine you would find some really helpful opinions. Especially if someone like roman's interests were piqued... Xtreme systems is a good place to get solid knowledge as I have seen you have a thread there.

its scary to freeze this expensive stuff when its super easy to kill. cpus aren't forgiving on ln2. Atleast Intel isn't. I am still procrastinating on freezing cpus after maybe a year since I first froze PSC/DDR3

My reply:

Well a couple of factors will save LN2. 1 - the only way LN2 can be lost with the OCC is if you leave the machine running while doing remedial tasks rather than benching. In practical benching use, only the LN2 needed to cool to the set point is used and none wasted unless you begin to do like we did and game for a bunch of hours. What I believe will happen with the pros is the 2 - once you've reached your goals, which should be much faster because pouring is eliminated you will either keep going past the goal or shut the machine off and save LN2.

I'll be going on hwbot tonight and starting a thread. Can't wait to meet gunslinger and roman. 500 liters is a ton of LN2 (almost literally!). I'd love to help them save some money and compete at a higher level if I can.

As far as prior knowledge of freezing CPU's I have literally none. I designed the OCC over the last two years with the OC community in mind. I believed from the beginning that if we could open the door to more enthusiasts to use LN2 extreme cooling, then technology will be propelled to keep up (I know that's kind of grandiose). But as far as being a beginner, I guarantee if you have poured LN2 at all you have more experience than me. With the OCC, what has changed is the sharp learning curve on the pouring/cooling side. I think I may have proved that with my own bumbling and doing 6.3 ghz on an old used FX8350. I've said several times on this forum: in cooling, I'm good. But in OC'ing I'm a noob. So with the OCC, if I can do it anyone should be able to.

As far as freezing your CPU's goes, I have found the cold bug and set the set point there with the first two CPU's (AMD X2 64 BE and Pentium D) within ten minutes of starting. Just lowered the temp a few degrees at a time on the OCC until the crash, then set the set point one degree above and it's cruise mode overclocking from there. It'll be up to you with overstressing your CPU (I don't actually know what the parameters of that may be), but with the OCC the issue of cold-bug negotiation and over freezing is a thing of the past!

If you look at the youtube video of the OCC on the AMD X2 (the first video on the L&L Cooling youtube channel) you'll see the setpoint is at -23 or something. On the second video of the Pentium D it is at -106C. The third is at somewhere around -175C. But wherever it is set, the OCC maintains it - period.

So the OCC is opening the door to my fellow noob overclockers and turbo boosting the engines of the pros!

Just completed a new build with new enclosure. Looking good! Thought we’d have a little fun with a heat gun! We did run the OCC on our new 5960x and the results were fantastic. Ran 5.3 ghz and there was no temp swing during benchmarks (seriously, it gained 1 degree). But our pro colleague who is getting the OCC next week wants to break with the news with his video of his sweetness-5960x and verified results.

LN2 vs 1700 watt heat gun!

Hey folks. Been running the OCC on the 5960x this weekend and things are going great. I started running benchmarks and have done fair, if I may say so myself... Also I joined the overclockers.com team on HWBOT (gotta represent - love you guys!). This is kind of weird, but it looks like I'm ranked number 144 out of 1456 on the team. And I've only submitted a few benchmarks. I know that means I'm like in the top ten percentile! Anyway, I'm working on a video of the OCC on the ASROCK x99 w 5960x. Anything I achieve is because of the capabilities the OCC gives me..... It's absolute controlled-cold! I'll be posting it up pretty quick - maybe tomorrow evening, showing the OCC from mount-up through some benchmarks w/hwbot submissions (maybe even tonight). EXCITING!!!!

Last edited:
I just read through this topic, that seems like an awesome system you have there, the purge idea is just plainly simple, surprised no one has thought of it before. I've read horror stories of the mess created when trying to insulate from condensation build up and the mess it leaves. I'll probably never get into LN2 cooling, but if I was already that into benching this seems like the system of choice, less loss, less mess and more benching time. How can you go wrong? Look forward to seeing what you can do with the 5960X whenever you get around to it.

I just read through this topic, that seems like an awesome system you have there, the purge idea is just plainly simple, surprised no one has thought of it before. I've read horror stories of the mess created when trying to insulate from condensation build up and the mess it leaves. I'll probably never get into LN2 cooling, but if I was already that into benching this seems like the system of choice, less loss, less mess and more benching time. How can you go wrong? Look forward to seeing what you can do with the 5960X whenever you get around to it.

Thanks. Yeah simple, but not easy. Hope you do decide to get into LN2 cooling though :) I've been in the OC side of it for a few months and it's a blast! I'm editing the 5960X video now showing set-up and some benchmarks and how the system is controlled from within the OS with configuring software. Exciting times we're living in! Luke . . . turn to the cold-side:)

Hey folks. Been running the OCC on the 5960x this weekend and things are going great. I started running benchmarks and have done fair, if I may say so myself... Also I joined the overclockers.com team on HWBOT (gotta represent - love you guys!). This is kind of weird, but it looks like I'm ranked number 144 out of 1456 on the team. And I've only submitted a few benchmarks. I know that means I'm like in the top ten percentile! Anyway, I'm working on a video of the OCC on the ASROCK x99 w 5960x. Anything I achieve is because of the capabilities the OCC gives me..... It's absolute controlled-cold! I'll be posting it up pretty quick - maybe tomorrow evening, showing the OCC from mount-up through some benchmarks w/hwbot submissions (maybe even tonight). EXCITING!!!!

Awesome! :welcome: to the team! Feel free to make a post in the benchmarking team section introducing yourself if you'd like. We have some requirements for the benchmarking team forum banner and sub-sub-forum, feel free to read through those and let myself, Woomack, or Johan45 know if you have any questions!

Still loving the progress you're making on the unit. Have you had a chance to meet up with any pro benchers to see what they could do?

Last edited:
Back