• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LN2 CPU Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mannyloomis

So stoked right now!! My dad just got accepted on his patent for his LN2 CPU chiller! Can't wait to be the one to run the first overclocking tests with this bad boy :)

Attachments

• IMGP3838.jpg
    IMGP3838.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
Congratulations. Now what does it do? Does it create LN2 while sitting on the CPU or something?

Congratulations. Now what does it do? Does it create LN2 while sitting on the CPU or something?

You don't pour with this system. You connect the OCC to the dewar and the cpu/gpu at the other end, set a set point... let's say 1 degree above the cbb . . . and the machine does the rest! The phase is about to change! This is going to be great for other applications too like gaming, because you can set a real stable temp set point like -20C and the OCC will maintain that temp under varying loads!

That's a pretty novel idea. I'm very excited to see some videos of it in action.

I don't know how I feel about it in a 'gaming' application though, because of going sub-ambient for any prolonged time you will have to very closely watch for condensation/etc. It makes sense for benchmarking in short term bursts, but I couldn't imagine the need to have a CPU or GPU sub-zero in order to play x-game outside of saying that you could.

That's a pretty novel idea. I'm very excited to see some videos of it in action.

I don't know how I feel about it in a 'gaming' application though, because of going sub-ambient for any prolonged time you will have to very closely watch for condensation/etc. It makes sense for benchmarking in short term bursts, but I couldn't imagine the need to have a CPU or GPU sub-zero in order to play x-game outside of saying that you could.

from dad - my set-up uses the OCC's exhaust nitrogen to purge oxygen out of my case, so there is no ice. I'll be making this available either as a service to retrofit cases that are sent in or I'll offer a prebuilt case with purge kit. So gaming . . . yes!

Oh interesting, didn't imagine it being used inside of cases. 999/1000 LN2 (and phase change, etc) is done on an open-air benching station which would obviously have the issue of condensation.

So yeah, if you have found a way to offer sub-ambient temperatures (down to full no CBB temps of -196C?) without fear of condensation it could be a HUGE game changer for competitive benchmarking.

Oh interesting, didn't imagine it being used inside of cases. 999/1000 LN2 (and phase change, etc) is done on an open-air benching station which would obviously have the issue of condensation.

So yeah, if you have found a way to offer sub-ambient temperatures (down to full no CBB temps of -196C?) without fear of condensation it could be a HUGE game changer for competitive benchmarking.

Totally! Thanks for the input :)

I read through a short bit of your discussion with bassplayer over at overclock.net, he brings up some good points about knowing where various break points would be and being able to time the swings as the chip goes from idle to full load and back the amount of a "pour" that is needed has to be anticipated.

This is great, imagine the use of this in HPC Clusters. The Cray Blue i last did hardware upgrades on the master and slave nodes used a massive water chilling setup to cool the entire rack space which is very inefficient, cooling like this would be a game changer in more than just benchmarking but in every aspect of High Performance Computing./
Hats off to your father PM me price info and also a spec sheet and and CAD drafts you have a would love to be a customer and install these in my companies graphics processing cluster rack.

Well from what I understand it could be along the lines of a phase change cooler or autocascade. But with even colder temps

Hi. I'm Manny's dad and creator of the OCC. It is a LN2 powered chiller designed for computers. It removes the need for pouring LN2 and if used properly, the need to insulate for ice. In fact removes ice altogether. Here is a vid of it running on the FX8350... we were a little green on the OC side, but chilling is superb. We have instructions on OC'ing past 6ghz and will be doing this, hopefully by Friday.

This is great, imagine the use of this in HPC Clusters. The Cray Blue i last did hardware upgrades on the master and slave nodes used a massive water chilling setup to cool the entire rack space which is very inefficient, cooling like this would be a game changer in more than just benchmarking but in every aspect of High Performance Computing./
Hats off to your father PM me price info and also a spec sheet and and CAD drafts you have a would love to be a customer and install these in my companies graphics processing cluster rack.

Wow! That is very kind of you. I am Manny's Dad. We may have a better solution for you. We can offer mechanical refrigeration with as many cooling chucks as you need. PM me if you'd like to talk more about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Any time frame for production run

They're ready now :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well from what I understand it could be along the lines of a phase change cooler or autocascade. But with even colder temps

better to watch this video to see how it works.

Very impressive Mr. Loomis. I would be very interested to see how this set-up would perform under some of the more demanding benchmarks. Maybe in the future you could send one of our benching team leaders a sample for us to do a full review for you? Just a thought.

Will you be making these for others to purchase and if so what kind of price range can be expected?

Very impressive Mr. Loomis. I would be very interested to see how this set-up would perform under some of the more demanding benchmarks. Maybe in the future you could send one of our benching team leaders a sample for us to do a full review for you? Just a thought.

Will you be making these for others to purchase and if so what kind of price range can be expected?

They're available now. I'd love to send a sample and have it reviewed. We need to get a few out there first though as it has been a long road to get to this point if you know what I mean. Who are the "team leaders"? PM me and I can give you a link for more information like availability.

They're available now. I'd love to send a sample and have it reviewed. We need to get a few out there first though as it has been a long road to get to this point if you know what I mean. Who are the "team leaders"? PM me and I can give you a link for more information like availability.

Hi there Mr. Loomis!

Myself, Johan45, and Woomack are the benchmarking team leaders. I (Don) am located in Ohio, Johan (Shawn) is located in Ontario, and Woomack is in Poland. I don't know where you're located as to where the easiest to ship would be (or how large of a product we are talking about here to ship around the globe). I would have a discussion with my teammates to determine who would be utilize the product and be able to put it through its paces to write up a great review for it. I unfortunately don't have easy access to LN2 anymore, so I would have a tough time, but I'm sure I can find a team member that would LOVE to have what this is capable of.

Thank you for all of your hard work, feel free to shoot me a PM with any info that you have or would need - if you're unable to (because of a low post count) let me know and I'll initiate the private message and will give you my overclockers email address to for easy communication.

Hi there Mr. Loomis!

Myself, Johan45, and Woomack are the benchmarking team leaders. I (Don) am located in Ohio, Johan (Shawn) is located in Ontario, and Woomack is in Poland. I don't know where you're located as to where the easiest to ship would be (or how large of a product we are talking about here to ship around the globe). I would have a discussion with my teammates to determine who would be utilize the product and be able to put it through its paces to write up a great review for it. I unfortunately don't have easy access to LN2 anymore, so I would have a tough time, but I'm sure I can find a team member that would LOVE to have what this is capable of.

Thank you for all of your hard work, feel free to shoot me a PM with any info that you have or would need - if you're unable to (because of a low post count) let me know and I'll initiate the private message and will give you my overclockers email address to for easy communication.

Awesome!!! I'll talk with my partner and make sure a ship-out is legit and get back with you. All I'd need to ship is an OCC and a purge case. I'll send you a PM. I'm in Cali. Maybe you want to come see the Golden Gate? Do you know any reputable folks in the Bay Area? I'd be happy and ready now to hook up nearby. I am totally more interested though in seeing you set a world record with a finicky chip like the 5960 with a cold bug. Do you realize the OCC can be set at whatever temp down to -190-196C and the OCC will maintain it? So if the cold bug on the 5960 is -130C then we just set the OCC at -129C and forget it!!!!!! And there's NO ICE!!!!!! NO INSULATION!!!!! On top of all that, everything in the box is super-cooled with (gaseous nitrogen) N2!!!! In fact, I had it down to -190 for like 5 hours once and the only place there was any ice was the outside of the box!!! Everything inside was freeze dried!!!!! Damn, I should have put a banana in there and I could have sent it with my kids as space food the next day. . . JK

Back