• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi all, new here and a 8350 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tír na nÓg

Hi everybody, happy to join after lurking around for quite a while...

I just grabbed a used 8350 with a Sabertooth R2.0 and a couple of Corsair Vengeance 4GB sticks (1600/Cl0/1.5v).

It's been running [email protected]/1.44v/61°C (12hours Prime95), and I was wondering how high I can go temp wise.

Many say 62°C, but I find it conservative... Actually, I don't plan on keeping the CPU that long, and even if it dies, well... it dies! Better dying standing than living on your knees, right?

So, I was thinking 70/75°C, maybe 80°C? I've read here and there (Johan45 or Caddi Daddi maybe?) that these PileDrivers are quite resilient.

Any tip welcome!

Thanks again guys.

62c is the "recommended max" by AMD, emphasis on "recommended", no one ever said it would blow if it hit 63c. You might get a chip and run 70c/75c 24/7 until he burns in a few months time or you might follow the recommendations and have a chip that will last you for many many years to come, its entirely up to you. Temp = CPU life. Also do not forget that its not only the CPU you need to be worried about, its the motherboard and everything attached to it.

Reminds me of a video i saw on YouTube on what happened to oldie chips when you removed the heatsink (take good notice of the hole in the table) :

You know that's fake, right? :D

I think the most believable part is the hole in the table. That's awesome

As for max temps yes the CPUs are quite tough and there seems to be some discussion here and there about temps. I think if you were to use AMD OD utility it gives a bit more headroom. It'll give you the distance to max temp

Last edited:
What the CPU's max temp is and where you lose stability are two different things. ;)

Mmmm... I've been through the Johan45 guide earlier on today.

No time to experiment yet (away from home until friday), but there is some really interesting stuff in it, like the impact of FSB on performance (Cinebench/3Dmark).

It's going to be a long tweaking week end next week!

Thanks guys!

Faster single threaded because of less shared resources I believe.

... but I agree with you. I wouldn't do it either.

Yep... because it isn't sharing the cache or something? I don't recall. But have seen people do it before.

That only applies if you can disable part of a module to leave resources for the other. This I believe would be shutting down 2 or 4 cores to relieve some heat/power and enable some higher speed. Some have done it for gaming where the title won't utilize the extra cores any way.

I tried that a couple months back, down to 4 and i think i disabled the right ones (used a diagram) but didn't really see a drop in temp ?

If you didn't touch your voltage, then that would make sense. :)

At least in the Intel world, if you disable HT, you can usually lower voltage. But even without, running stress tests, it did help with temps, but nothing dramatic.

Good point, i didn't think of lowering voltage at the time to compensate for loss of cores. Meh still academic, not worth it IMO, you buy a 8 core you are planning on using it correct ?

The irony there is that most who buy the 8 cores typically don't use them. If they were re-coding video or something along those lines yes but AFIK the majority of software is just starting to use multiple core setups but it is improving.

Like games finally starting to make use of MultiThreading in Intel after... how long is it since the 1st CPU to have it ?

Hyper threading? That is still up to the game but it behaves just like a real core to a game, so if it can handle more than however many physical cores, it will use HT. ;)

Update:
I got it stable@5GHz/1.52v/72°C max (cores). A tad high at my taste. Dropped to 4.9GHz/1.46v.

It runs CB11.5 and [email protected] though, and some lighter (multithreaded) benchmarks like HWBot Prime up to 5.35GHz.

Doesn't want to boot above 5.45GHz, never mind the voltage. I believe it's too hot on air.

Back