• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading win7 to Win10 on several pc's with the same image on them..??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvee

Registered
I bought several Laptops from an online seller. They all have the same Win7 pro image on them. Same coa key.

So if one of them is upgraded to Win10, I understand Win10 gets a new KEY.

Now what happens if I upgrade one of the others with the same image. It will end up with a new Win10 key, but will it be the same as the first one I upgraded or a new Key ??

The remaining laptops with the old Win7Pro on them. Will they be affected as in deemed illegal in any way.??

I don't want to upgrade one or more of them if it will cause a problem.

pv

Sounds like you bought a cache of systems whose OS's were installed via a site license for Win 7, I may be wrong *often am*

I would contact MS about this issue, as well as going with whatever anyone else says here.

They could have taken a Laptop with a good copy and cloned a bunch of hard drives I imagine, but I don't know how they did it.

They all work fine, all the updates are applied etc.
pv

If you install Windows 10 those pc's will likely just end up "non-genuine" as well. As far as the keys goes I believe each pc will generate a new one once you install windows 10.

I have similar situation at work but with group license keys and also with academic keys. I have no problem to install Win7 and upgrade it to Win10 on all computers at work using the same key. All are working fine, key is activated without issues etc. The only problem which I see is that Microsoft server is not saving info about these installations so when I will have to reinstall any of these OS in a year+ then I will have to install Win7 and upgrade it to Win10 again ... but upgrade won't work so what then ? buy Win10 copies ?
The same with academic key. I was installing it for tests and activated without issues couple of times but I could never use Win8 key for Win10 installation even though it was activated on the same motherboard.

Simply looks like this key saving on MS servers works only on OEM or maybe BOX licenses. Maybe I will have a chance to talk with MS in couple of days as I will go on their conference.

If the current Windows installations are activated, then they will upgrade and activate fine. The COA stickers on the bottom of these laptops all read the same? If that's the case, they probably aren't activated....

They are all activated with Win7 pro. All the same Key. None of them originally came with WIN7. They were Vista or XP originally.

pvp

Back