• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste with thermal pads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j5tar

I am new to watercooling and just started a new build. I have received the EK Titan X gpu block for my 980ti and the instructions that it comes with indicates to apply non-conductive thermal paste onto the phase regulators and then put a piece of thermal pad over top of it. Has anyone done this step or can it be avoided? Seems like it could be messy and I don't know if mixing thermal pad and thermal paste together can cause some sort of reaction. Can this also be done on to VRMs/VRAM?

Got the same block on my 980 Tis. As it is suggested by EK per instructions it would be a good idea. At work right now but think there was a review/test done where even though marginal it did help.

Besides, You don't need to put much on, as you can put just a dab.

Got the same block on my 980 Tis. As it is suggested by EK per instructions it would be a good idea. At work right now but think there was a review/test done where even though marginal it did help.

Besides, You don't need to put much on, as you can put just a dab.

Thanks. Other than the regulators, did you put the paste onto the other components like the VRMs/VRAM? Also, how about putting paste between the actual GPU block and the thermal pad?

Back