• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternatives to AMD/Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Google creates their own inhouse Linux OS for just about all devices; mobile up to HPC. If they are not one of the main contributors to creating a better Linux kernal, than I don't know who would be. You may not directly see Google influence Linux development, but I guarantee that they play a major role.

@Kommander

The mill architecture is interesting, but VLIW type ISA's have been used before. Let me remind you of the last time we saw this type of architecture though: Itanium. As great as VLIW could be for single-threaded CPUs, the round table, and the fully populating a pipeline is very difficult to do. Any instruction that relies on another, would automatically cause a large overheads to be created inside the CPU.

The timing hazards from branches and memory access are said to be handled using speculative execution, pipelining and other late-binding but statically-scheduled logic.
Source = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_CPU_Architecture

This part really concerns me. If the pipeline has to be flushed for a miss-hit, than this could create major overhead. Deep pipelines rely on accurate predictions based on past executions. Not to mention the amount of cache, and buffers needed to keep the pipeline populated will cause the CPU to increase in size rapidly.

Therefore, the Mill architecture is designed as a compiler target for highly-optimizing compilers.

This seals the deal. With Intel basically strong arming just about every compiler company out there, this makes the Mill CPU only available for specific areas of development. Furthermore, it will require specialized low-level programmers to optimize all code produced for the Mill CPU. This is not ideal at all.

Last edited:
Google creates their own inhouse Linux OS for just about all devices; mobile up to HPC. If they are not one of the main contributors to creating a better Linux kernal, than I don't know who would be. You may not directly see Google influence Linux development, but I guarantee that they play a major role.

Um, please prove to me that Google has anything to do w/the development of RHEL.

Um, please prove to me that Google has anything to do w/the development of RHEL.

Does RHEL have a completely custom Kernel?

because as far as I know Andrew Morton still works at Google, and is still involved with the open source Kernal development specifically Ext3 filesystems
Google very much has their fingers deep into Linux core development and direction.

Does RHEL have a completely custom Kernel?

because as far as I know Andrew Morton still works at Google, and is still involved with the open source Kernal development specifically Ext3 filesystems
Google very much has their fingers deep into Linux core development and direction.

I don't care who works at Google. Speculation isn't proof.

What would constitute proof to you?
Not that I'm overly concerned as I didn't even bother to do a Google search on Andrew Morton to see if he is still a Google Employee of if he's left the company yet.

Not sure what the problem is.

The existence of Android OS is proof enough that google has had a hand in the development of linux in SOME way.

Besides, What does this even have to do with "Alternatives to AMD/Intel"?

Anyways, as far as I know, China is developing its own alternative to x86 architecture. I'm not certain what they are calling it, but apparently it has ludicrous processing potential.

And here is one that is both ARM and x86: http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/03/c...mips-processor-that-can-run-x86-and-arm-code/

Anyways, as far as I know, China is developing its own alternative to x86 architecture. I'm not certain what they are calling it, but apparently it has ludicrous processing potential.

China may be the only outfit whose prerelease PR is more full full of fecal matter than AMD's. LOL I wouldn't believe they were building matches if the announcer was on fire.

Don't forget about optical computing. We built a 10 GHz machine (basically a super calculator) in early 2001.

The only problem we couldn't get around was RAM. It's difficult to store an "on" light...we where bouncing the light around...after a large number of reflections, you start to lose the brightness. We tried storing it in a long fiber loop, but you have to "refresh" the data every few trips.

If this problem can be solved, optical will take hold before Quantum as the physics and practical manufacturing has already been figured out.

Has anyone seen the new IBM Watson commercials? That is a single 2U? server solution that analyzes your data and creates a solution. These types of machines are called Neural Network computers. They simulate the neural network of a human brain. Relying on an architecture similar to training your dog, the computer will figure out the best solution to a very complicated process. These types of tools are the Skynet esk solution that could later be taught human language and the complexity of our lives.

But don't fret, Stephen Hawkings and others are trying to push legislation that restricts computers from ever becoming full sentient. So no cylon rebellion.... yet.

It doesn't matter what Stephen Hawking and friends are trying to encroach into the legal system, or should I say.. which legal system? because you can bet your bottom dollar that countries like China etc.. will have there own world view on how technology should go... define International law?, because they (China and other so called 'rogue' nations) have a different world view than western industrialized countries, especially in how technology is managed..

Back