• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some Airflow advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dalchi Frusche

Good afternoon all,

I wanted to get some opinions on my case airflow plan. The first image below was an old mockup I did that includes to floor intake fans, given that the rads have been changed from 2x 280 to 2x 360, are the floor intakes still recommended? Once I made my renders match the case dimensions, it would be a tight squeeze with the position of the pump. If not necessary, will the radiator intake be enough to compensate for the 2x 120 fans on the back exhausting? There is also vents in the PCI slots to help vent air. Second image is my current airflow design plan. Will the rads in-taking into the case create a too warm ambient temps?

AirFlow Diagram.jpg
AirFlow Diagram2.jpg

IMO 720mm in and only 240mm out is a bit much. Yes you have open vents in the PCI slots but this could still create hot spots (especially around the H20 cooled GPU(s)). That much positive pressure could also reduce the effectiveness of the rads. Since this is a custom case I would look into adding another 2x120mm exhaust. Maybe stack 2x120's at the rear near I/O panel or add 2x120mm at the top of the case.

EDIT for clarity: 2x240mm at the rear. This would also give a nice upgrade option for additional rad space.

I do have the PSU intake from the bottom and exhausting out the back as an enclosed air flow. I could open that up so that the PSU becomes another exhaust. Additionally, I forgot to mention I will be slowing down the intake fan speed to keep it quieter. I would however have to lower the fans to a crawl for the exhaust fans to keep up I think.

I guess I need to measure to see if I can stack an exhaust on either side.
FinalDragonWBackLeft.jpg

Cool sketches. I would say you should have a look at other PC manufacturer designs. I would add a mesh in the rear so your front and bottom as intakes creates enough positive pressure and routes the flow out the UNFILTERED back while the rest of the intakes are.

Cool sketches. I would say you should have a look at other PC manufacturer designs. I would add a mesh in the rear so your front and bottom as intakes creates enough positive pressure and routes the flow out the UNFILTERED back while the rest of the intakes are.

Thank you. That gives me a bit to think about and revisit my renders.

You could really get a great idea from Mountainmods. Your custom built case is very similar to theirs. Don't be deterred to check them out and snap a few ideas. ;)

Do you plan to put any exhaust fans at the top of the case? Hot air rises....

If there's a strong enough airflow current, I don't think it will be an issue as long as there's an area for exhaust. Air flow will head to the least resistant area just like a water loop.

So I checked out the mountain mods site and found one with 1 360 rad and only 1 exhaust. So if I can fit another 120 exhaust I should have plenty :D. Thanks for the link. Seeing similar cases really helped.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you plan to put any exhaust fans at the top of the case? Hot air rises....

As GTX stated, as long as there is good flow then it doesn't have a chance for hot air to pull. However the 120 on the non mobo side is on the back panel butted up against the top.

I would possibly go with a mesh rear end like my 900D has. Front, top and bottom are all filtered intakes for my rads with a wide open unfiltered back.

900d_back_5.png

I would possibly go with a mesh rear end like my 900D has. Front, top and bottom are all filtered intakes for my rads with a wide open unfiltered back.

I will have to see about adding some mesh to a few areas. Specifically, up by the graphics cards and the PCI slots would probably be good.

Back