• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K or 240hz for HTGPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I'm planning my next monster project and I'm wondering what your opinions are on this.

I'm building a Home Theater / Gaming room in my basement. Big screen is a must for movie nights but I also want top resolution. I know little about anything over 1080P. The 42"+ monitors at Newegg all have a refresh rate of only 60hz. This seems pretty low as my 10 year old Samsung is 120hz.

My question is

What's more important 4K or 120/240hz?

Am I over looking something?

EDIT: This one at BB has 120hz. Should I be looking for 240?

If you're looking high refresh, get a G-Sync monitor.
If you're looking 4K, plan a 980Ti at minimum.

That tv is not 120Hz or higher, it is 60Hz. Television sets are not like monitors wherein a monitor can nowdays do 144Hz or 200Hz natively (one of the upcoming G-Sync panels will be capable of 200Hz). TV sets are 60Hz and use software to artificially simulate 120Hz, etc. That simulated crap looks terrible in my honest opinion and cannot be compared to monitors that run that Hz rating natively.

If it is just for use as a home theater room, I recommend checking out a good quality HD projector, but they would be nowhere near $1k. That said, if you want to go that tv route, for a video viewing room I think it would be just fine. For gaming, so long as you don't WANT 120Hz or 144Hz, then that Samsung tv should be just fine.

I knew that very few would reach 120Hz, but I didn't know the number had risen on the amount of panels that could actually oc. Still though, 120Hz/240Hz is mostly marketing and I stand by that. Chances are someone grabbing one of these "120Hz" tv's will be turning on "TruMotion" or whatever other artificial crap comes with their tv that looks dreadful and thinks that it is instantly 120Hz.

+1 on an HD projector setup, but a good one will cost much much more.

Last edited:
My plan is to set this up as a gaming and home theater system. 1080p has been great for me up til now but I'm only on a 24" screen. If I go up to say 55" what be more important, 4k or higher refresh?

P.S. projector is out. Thanks though :D

If I had to choose just 1, I guess it would depend on the games :p

I love 120Hz/144Hz far too much to game on a personal pc without it, however, 55" and 4K does sound pretty glorious. But, instead of a lowly 4K, why not just go 8k? :D

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/17/technology/8k-tv/

But in all seriousness, assuming you didn't play anything competitively such as FPS titles like Quake, CSGO, and the like, any standard 4K tv is just fine. I still say don't worry about refresh rates on those tv sets though, because the advertised is NOT correct despite POSSIBILITY of oc'ing via a tool such as CRU.

The resolution would be more important. I have a 50" 1080p TV sitting less than 5 feet away from the rig in my sig. The TV looks grainy compared to my 4k monitor.

Now, here's the real question: Is it worth it to go 4K over 1080p? I'd say maybe, if you can find a good deal on the 4K TV. If not, I payed $150 for my 50" TV 2 years ago. You could always just get a cheap 1080p TV until 4K comes down some.

I would say it would depend on how far away you will be from the screen. The greatness and faults of 4K are the same, excellent high resolution, but without proper scaling things become TINY. If you are sitting 10 feet away from a 50'' 4K display and you had to read some text I have a hard time beliving you would be able to without some major scaling being turned on. For example, I have my 55'' LG 1080p TV in my family room (connected to an HTPC), in order to easily read web pages and menus/etc I have scaling in Windows turned up to the highest it goes. I have pretty good eyesight but to not strain my eyes I had to do that.

Hmmm Great point. That I'll have to look into. Never occurred to me.

Yes, the higher the resolution, the smaller everything gets without scaling. I found that Windows 10 does a pretty good job at making everything legible at 4K, but if you're playing games that aren't built for 4k, it gets really difficult to read.

In those cases couldn't I change the res to 1080p through the GPU, even on a 4k TV/Monitor?

Someone suggested 3D. I was just wondering. Is 3D in gaming/home theater all that it is advertised, or as I fear, more marketing than actuality?

*and if not just marketing, will the glasses fit over my Rx frames ROFL*

Someone suggested 3D. I was just wondering. Is 3D in gaming/home theater all that it is advertised, or as I fear, more marketing than actuality?

Just the opinion of someone who has a family member that owns one of those "3d" tvs (active glasses, not passive), I didn't care for it much in the majority of things, but I absolutely LOVED it when watching sports. Especially football games, I thought it was fantastic and the players "popped" from the screen which IMO was pretty cool in regards to watching sports and gave it a new depth for someone who can get bored of watching football games back to back.

Would I ever personally own one? Probably not. However, if I was in the market for brand new tv and it wasn't that much more than the standard, I'd probably opt for it for NFL Sunday Ticket alone.

As for movie watching, I have a terrible (tested too) depth perception which adds to discomfort of me using 3D glasses for prolonged periods (or so I'm told anyway) when it comes to movies, but with football games for some reason I don't feel the same nauseated feeling. So that somewhat ruins my movie watching experience with 3D.

My living room has 3D functionality, and it's pretty neat. It's an LG 55LM7600 that we got a few years ago. The 3D glasses are passive, we only use it for movies that have 3D built in, but it works just fine. I don't wear my glasses while using these glasses, I just use my contacts. I tried it for sports/etc and it had a neat effect that brought the scrolling bar and scoreboard away from the screen. I don't think I'd bother to use it for it, but it was interesting nonetheless.

My living room has 3D functionality, and it's pretty neat. It's an LG 55LM7600 that we got a few years ago. The 3D glasses are passive, we only use it for movies that have 3D built in, but it works just fine. I don't wear my glasses while using these glasses, I just use my contacts. I tried it for sports/etc and it had a neat effect that brought the scrolling bar and scoreboard away from the screen. I don't think I'd bother to use it for it, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Ah yea, I forgot to mention that, the scoreboard popping was interesting too, lol.

Back