• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aftermarket CPU Cooler for G3258 mini-ITX Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EdwardTobia

Hi all,

Been a very long time since I last logged on here as I have been out of the scene for a pretty long time now, but im back!

Just built a moderate mini-ITX gaming rig which includes:

Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition 3.2ghz @ 4.2ghz (1.25v)
MSI Z97I AC mini-ITX Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair XMS (2x8GB) @ 1600
Seagate 2TB HDD
Sapphire NITRO R9-380 4GB GDDR5 OC @ 1000/1500mem
EVGA 600W PSU
Cooler Master Elite 130 MINI-ITX Case

Im having trouble stabilising any clock speed higher than 4.2ghz under load (even with increased voltages) which seems to be due to excessive heat causing instability, im not very happy with the idle and load temperatures with the stock cooler as they are pretty high especially since its crammed in the mini-ITX case.

Current settings:
Clock ratio - 42
Ring Ratio - 38 (tried matching this to clock ratio however does not seem stable)
Core Voltage - 1.250
Ring Voltage - 1.200

Any ideas/links (UK) of aftermarket coolers that will fit inside my built without problems? Never built a mini-ITX rig before, only ATX and MidATX, so not sure what I am restricted to with this build...

Im hoping to hit 4.5-4.6ghz...

Look forwad to hearing from you guys.

Ed

the daughter has the thermaltake core v1 and we put the coolermaster hypert3 in there. cheap and works decent. biggest thing is it fits and is better than the stocker

Just ordered: Noctua NH-L9i Low Profile Quiet CPU Cooler

This one has been confirmed to fit inside the Coolermaster Elite 130 just fine :)

Thanks all!

The L9X65 is a beefier cooler. I don't know that the L9i is going to perform significantly better than stock, at least for the price. $5-10 more gets you a heatsink with probably more than double the volume of aluminum.

But I was going to suggest a low-profile Noctua either way, so I think it makes sense.

The L9X65 is a beefier cooler. I don't know that the L9i is going to perform significantly better than stock, at least for the price. $5-10 more gets you a heatsink with probably more than double the volume of aluminum.

But I was going to suggest a low-profile Noctua either way, so I think it makes sense.

Majority of reviews reflect a -10c decrease in temperature with the lower profile one, which I would actually be happy with (if these reviews are actually true that is...)

If this one does not satisfy my needs ill get the L9X65 :)

i would have told you to get the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B, at that speed/voltage, since it is my cpu. :p
it topped out at 70's under prime, though i was using a Notunha P12 fan at full speed. the stock 10mm thick fan wasnt cutting it. though with that case a 25mm thick fan on the BS2 would prolly be a bit to big.

about the only other thing i would have suggested is a AIO 120mm water cooler.

i would have told you to get the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B, at that speed/voltage, since it is my cpu. :p
it topped out at 70's under prime, though i was using a Notunha P12 fan at full speed. the stock 10mm thick fan wasnt cutting it. though with that case a 25mm thick fan on the BS2 would prolly be a bit to big.

about the only other thing i would have suggested is a AIO 120mm water cooler.

Will that one definitely fit with my MSI Z97I AC m-ITX motherboard and Coolermaster Elite 130 case?

I fit the Noctua L9i on the weekend and it does keep temps slightly lower than the stock HS+FAN however it has not dropped them enough for me to reach the clockspeed im aiming for, temps take over and CPU shuts down :( however at 4.2ghz its sweet and temps are stable.

If that one you recommended will fit I may buy it!

with the stock fan IT MIGHT fit but temps will prolly be worse then the L9i. IMO the only thing to get for better cooling is water setup...

with the stock fan IT MIGHT fit but temps will prolly be worse then the L9i. IMO the only thing to get for better cooling is water setup...

Think you may be right, never had a water setup before so always been a bit put off but might just get one and get stuck in!

yea im looking at that same CM Elite 130 case and it has enough room for a AIO water cooler. here are a few read-to-go ones i would suggest for that case
http://www.performance-pcs.com/corsair-hydro-seriestm-h75-liquid-cpu-cooler.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-eisberg-120-cpu-black.html
this one might offer a bit better cooling but you have to put it together.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/magicool-diy-liquid-cooling-system-single-120mm-edition.html

Yesterday I got rid of the Noctua L9i and fit a CoolerMaster Seidon 120v v2 AIO water cooler and im really happy with the temps now, drastic improvement compared to the noctua air cooler and it fit nice and snug inside the Elite 130 case, giving me more overclocking room as I have now managed to reach 4.4ghz stable whereas with the air cooler I could only reach 4.2ghz stable because of the temps, still tweaking to see how much higher I can go but dont think theres much headroom left on my chip, doesnt seem to be one of the good clockers that reach 4.6'ish ghz...

Seems to be one of the cheapest AIO coolers out there and would recommend it, was easy to fit and works very well!

Last edited:
Back