• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Watercooling - Extremely Tight Fittings with Tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j5tar

I'm building a new system and currently experimenting with some of my new watercooling parts. I've noticed how tight my fittings/tubing are. In order to get the tubing to fit over the barb properly, I had to use hot water, soapy water, and a ton of force to get it to fit! Secondly, the compression ring barely threads onto the base of the fitting - there are a total of 3 threads on the base of the fitting. However, I am only able to rotate onto only 1 out of the 3 threads and cannot proceed any further. Please refer to these pictures and advise if this is normal: and
From your experiences, is it generally this difficult to put a tube over a compression fitting? I was expecting the parts to fit like a glove since all the sizes are correct but it seems as if I am forcefully trying to mash everything together. Putting the tubing and fitting together was done outside the system but I can imagine that this will be 5x more difficult once I will have to do this installation onto the CPU, GPU, radiator, etc... especially with limited space. Any advice on how to proceed with this? I am afraid forcing a tubing too hard might damage/crack some components.

Other questions:
1) Would using boiling water have a negative impact to the structural/chemical integrity of the tubings?
2) Would having some soapy water in the loop have some sort of negative affect in the loop in the long run? I hope it won't have a catalyst effect for corrosion or algae growth but I will be using distilled water + Dazmode protector (corrosion inhibitor and biocide concentration).

For your information, I am using Bitspower 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD compression fittings and Primochill Advance LRT 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD tubing.

Last edited:
I can only tell you from my personal experiences with 1/2 x 3/4 being the largest tubing and thickest that yes, it is tough putting on the tubing and no, the fitting will not be tightened all the way down but will have about 2 threads shown. I don't have such a hard time putting it together to the point of damaging a component or threads either. You have to be careful when screwing on to materials like acrylic as they can crack let alone from over tightening. I never needed to use anything but what I did do is fit the tubing to the fitting outside of the case to loosen the tubing ends I'd be using without the compression cover. I let it sat for a couple of minutes so the ends of the tubing get a little stretched and than proceeded with somewhat ease of putting it back together for the routing of the loop.

Its possible the tubing you got might be a tad out of spec from that batch. Just make sure your size seems about right. I wish I had experience with smaller tubing than the one I use, to give you more tips but I'll leave it to some of the other members with experience on that end.

The tubing looks small to me...mine didn't fit that tight or look that much smaller than the compression fitting. It actually slipped over quite nicely to the bottom of the fitting and screwed down most of the way when tightening. Are you sure the ID is right? or that they might have sent you the wrong parts?

Thanks for the replies. Mine could possibly be out of spec because they require too much force to install and I don't want to increase the risk of cracking some components like the CPU/GPU acetal block since this is my first watercooled build. I went ahead and ordered some EKWB ZMT tubing (same stuff used for the EK Predator). They are the only other tubing I know of that doesn't have a plasticizer issue. These tubings only comes in matte black but will still match my color scheme. I hope these are easier to install with the Bitpower fittings. Once I finish the build, I'll post some pictures.

Last edited:
If the EK tubing fits with ease, I would contact PrimoChill for an RMA. They seem good on that end as far as I've seen.

Back