• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choices Choices. Help me choose!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

Option 1: ASUS Z170-Deluxe

Option 2: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

Option 3: MSI Z170A Xpower Gaming Titanium Edition

Or, recommend a board with a minimum of 6 USB 2.0+ ports in the rear I/O panel, with good-great overclocking capabilities. Going to pair it with a I7-6700K processor.

Replacing the system in the specs list in my sig. I would prefer to stay away from MSI, but will definitely consider it if enough people back it up.

EDIT: can't seem to find the "edit sig" bit in the profile options. I see the sig, but no edit button.

New Case is Silver/black Corsair Air540. Keeping Video card, replacing the rest.

Also, I am not restricted to ATX, But Must have 4 ram slots, And It cannot be E-ATX, Colors that match: Black, Silver, Gray, White, Red, Any combination works. White/Silver preferred, but Performance>Asthetics.

If you keep it on air/AIO water cooling then all Z170 boards will offer you the same OC. All from linked boards will be fine.

I don't trust MSI but my last ASRock board was working for "all" 3 hours and I had to make RMA. I also made couple of RMA on Gigabyte ... if I start to think what I don't want to buy because of past issues then I wouldn't buy anything at all :) Simply look at general specification, compare price to needed features and grab the best option regardless of brand.
I don't think you will get really good advice from other users as most of them got Z170 platform 1-2 weeks ago.

Personally I'm curious how MSI Z170I Gaming, ITX is working as it has nice specs and high memory frequency support but it's not the best option for you as it's too small.

Thanks Woo.

My decision has been narrowed down significantly.

These Two.

Aside from the included front panel for usb type-c, I see no real difference, are my eyes just bad? going to buy one of them tonight, then the Processor will come next month with the Ram :D*Power supply shortly after if voltages show badly on new mobo/cpu/ram as they are now*

That is all I see too...

Im assuming you are checking voltage with a multi-meter and not relying on software, correct? Software cna be quite off the mark. Speaking of off the mark, what are your voltage readings? ATX spec is 5%. So for the 12v rail anything 11.4-12.6v is considered in spec...

Correct. I tested every rail on the PSU. the Voltagees for them were in an older thread by me. All software and bios report things like 9.253v on the 12v rail, which if were true, wouldn't boot up AFAIK. The multimeter test showed 12.25-12.45 range, the 5v was 5.005-5.01 range, and the rest were ideal. So that's why I'm not buying a new PSU until I confirm it was the mobo reader being off, as what was reported as a problem for the board.

You already know its not off because you tested it with a MM. You already know that mobo readings are off. Save your time. :)

So what are the minimum speeds recommended for DDR4 these days anyways? I've been reading 2800, without caring too much on the timings for CAS. Does this still hold true? I believe you stated awhile back that DDR3 ram won't be noticeable past 1600, CL 9, but I heard that things are a bit different with Skylake. Can you confirm this for me?

The sweetspot is around 2800mhz. You want the lowest timings as always. While there may be few performance gains, to me, getting ddr4 2133-2666 is pointless as those are ddr3 speeds.

Back