• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just purchased 4790k - which motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pickles97

Need a bit of help, bought a 4790k and im wondering which motherboard is best to go with it. My motherboard isn't very good so im looking to upgrade + get the best one that is most compatible with the 4790k. ty

Any Z97 will be compatible with it really. Are you planning on pushing the overclocks on water, or just air, or no overclocking? What features do you need? Want? Budget?

Tbh i've not overclocked in the past, my motherboards not very good though, its like £50, so i'm looking to upgrade anyway really, so I just need a decent motherboard compatible with it. The budget isn't really an issue.

Any specific features you are looking for?

Lots of love on this forum for the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 and Extreme6.

the asrock extreme 4 is a good choice, the extreme 6, see if the features fit your needs, number of sata ports, usb 3.0 ports and such, this is actually quite important.
the extreme 9, sounds like it's way overboard for you.

i think the OCF boards are nice, i got the Matx Z97. the Extreme 6 is your board for sure if you plan on getting a m.2 ssd drive as it sports the ultra m.2 slot, faster xfer rates.

I went with the MSI Z97M Gaming due to being the only mATX board offered with a PCI-E 1x low enough to actually use(sound card) if you are using a vid card that isn't single slot.

Outside of that though, ASRock is a great go-to.

I'm an Asus and MSI fanboy. I have had good experiences with both companies, so why stray from them? I have used MSI's budget 970 AM3+ board and am currently using an Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97 board which is more mid-high end. You said your current board cost you £50, what is your price range now? If you want mid-range, I personally considered the MSI Z97 Krait. It has just about everything you want to experiment with.

Last edited:
Back