• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remind me, why do we not use Peltiers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
Its been awhile since I've looked into these nifty little devices. How come we don't use these with a WC system? Is it because older WC systems couldn't handle the thermal difference?

They draw a ton of power for what they do, require a lot of heat dissipation (target + pelt), and if you overload their heat capacity, Bad Things Happen. In a properly designed system, they would work ok, but with the cost, planning, and power draw required, you might as well go with a phase change unit.

Its been awhile since I've looked into these nifty little devices. How come we don't use these with a WC system? Is it because older WC systems couldn't handle the thermal difference?

Hi Dolk, I have the ultimate respect for you and your work on the Phenom II overclocking guide you did, I recommend it often to those still running those CPUs.

I know how much work and experimentation is involved is writing an overclock guide as I also wrote an AMD BE overclocking guide at Toms Hardware, so let me introduce myself as 4Ryan6 from Toms Hardware.

I was especially interested in your experiments with cooling the AMD where you mentioned taking the rads outside in the cooler air, if you recall that?

I using peltiers to cool my computer setup but not as some use the peltiers, so I'm providing a link to my present cooling at Toms Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282844-29-peltier-water-cooling

If you have any questions after looking it over please ask, it is 3 months away from being in operation 3 full years.

Thanks and have a great day! Ryan

Back