• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extender for my Quadcopter? (parrot bebop)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi, so I got parrot bebop few days ago after 6 years of wanting it. Just one slight problem! It looses video feed at about 30m away :|(there were 2 other networks so that might be the reason! but i would like to go longer anyway, or that would help me with less interference) and i was looking for a Wi-Fi extender as a big antenna for my phone!
I've a few questions:
1. Can you recommend me anything for that purpose? Is this a good idea? would that work? I want big range! and bebop has 5ghz so it would be nice to have a 5ghz extender!
2. I don't think there are any battery powered one(or atleast good ones) do you have any idea how I can use one without being near a power socket? (maybe a power bank can do that? or car battery?) my current modem uses a 5v adapter so i just made a cable for my powerbank and it works perfectly, not sure if mine's the only one.
3. can i use it with something like TP-LINK TL-ANT2424B 2.4GHz 24dBi Grid Parabolic Antenna to get insane range?!

Asus RT-N14UHP High Power Wireless-N300 3-in-1 Router, AP and Range Extender sounds nice for me, can i use it for doing that? Is it easy to do so:?

Sorry if this thread sounds ridicules

I did some poking around and there seems to be something called the Sky Controller that extends the range of your Parrot. Seems if you are using just your smart phone that thing is clunky to fly. Most people suggest using this Sky Controller. Peep their website.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/skycontroller/

Z

I did some poking around and there seems to be something called the Sky Controller that extends the range of your Parrot. Seems if you are using just your smart phone that thing is clunky to fly. Most people suggest using this Sky Controller. Peep their website.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/skycontroller/

Z

I don't have that kind of money :D and I already bought it, i don't think they sell it separately, even if they do I can't buy it in my country

It is sold separately but it does cost about 400 dollars additional. I just looked and you are in Iran. I dont know the laws there nor do I know how to go about getting extended range from a cellphone's wi-fi. Also the frequencies used my be limited by law. As it is this drone is supposed to have an 800 ft range out of the box. Other than the $400 addon I dont really know of any other way to get more range. I do not think plugging a wi-fi extender like you are suggesting will work. And Im not even sure how you would hook that up to a cell phone without tanking the phone apart. I hope you find a solution as I myself am looking into the idea of getting a drone in the future.

Z

It is sold separately but it does cost about 400 dollars additional. I just looked and you are in Iran. I dont know the laws there nor do I know how to go about getting extended range from a cellphone's wi-fi. Also the frequencies used my be limited by law. As it is this drone is supposed to have an 800 ft range out of the box. Other than the $400 addon I dont really know of any other way to get more range. I do not think plugging a wi-fi extender like you are suggesting will work. And Im not even sure how you would hook that up to a cell phone without tanking the phone apart. I hope you find a solution as I myself am looking into the idea of getting a drone in the future.

Z

400$ :| I couldn't afford it even if I could find it!
I don't think there are any laws in my country :D But my bebop has tons of wi-fi setting, my country is set to US, but i did play with it a bit and i think i set it on channel 161 on 5ghz, and it wasn't bad, it did lose video feed for a few seconds, anyway Im not sure if I got disconnected but I had a pretty good heartattack when sent my drone for and high enought that my eyes couldn't see it correctly, i wasn't sure where i was from the fpv, I was seeing the drone, as a small dot which i had no idea where the front is! luckly return to home came to my aid and it just passed over my head which i took control and landed! So I don't remember how it was and i can't go there again maybe until thursday!
maybe someone can explain me those settings :? a good tutorial about those?

but what I wanted to do was simple!
the person who did this claims a 700m range and a good fpv! and the router wasn't so good :)
just see https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bebop+extender and there are tons of videos! I was planning on connecting my phone to extender and my extender to my bebop and holding the extender in my hand, or simply placing it on something :) the problem is not knowing when the signal strength !

I have a feeling that playing with the wi-fi settings alone will give me good enough range :) or maybe disconnecting other nearby networks!

Looks to me like you have found the answer. I think I would do something like that. As far as settings its just a matter of setting the router and the drone to the same channel then running the software. From the looks of the video too, the drone flew rather well and appeared fairly stable. I think that would be where i would start. I hope some others on the forums have more info than I do and can help. G/l and keep us posted.

Z

Looks to me like you have found the answer. I think I would do something like that. As far as settings its just a matter of setting the router and the drone to the same channel then running the software. From the looks of the video too, the drone flew rather well and appeared fairly stable. I think that would be where i would start. I hope some others on the forums have more info than I do and can help. G/l and keep us posted.

Z

Ok, thanks :) the router he used is super cheap so it won't be a problem, specially that a extender would really help the wi-fi reach the TV-Kitchen!
I'll just try with the new setting and If i had problems i'll buy one(want to fly all over factory and take a pic!)

just one last question: How are you supposed to know the signal with an extender :|? Because if i disconnect with an extender it will be really hard to connect back!

Thats a situation where you have to program the router AND the copter for the same channel/frequency. Also Im sure there is going to be some kind of protocol settings you may have to tinker with. I saw in the video you posted that youll have to sync the router with the copter. I dont know for sure but I'll guess it will be like setting up a wireless access point. Im thinking youll set it up like a 'repeater'. As in the router will be nothing but a pass-thru/ power boost. The router shouldnt need to do anything else from what you are saying here. The router MAY need custom firmware. I'll suggest DD-WRT if you end up needing that. Otherwise the set up for the router is straight forward. G/l and please let us know how it goes. I may end up doing something like this instead of buying a 400 dollar addon. Here is a short video explaining the router set up.

Z

Back