• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500K to 4670K for 200$ - Would you upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insthink

I know upgrading to 4690K isn't worth the price tag if you have to buy a new motherboard and CPU.

I am in a situation where I already need to build a second desktop.
I could either buy a G3258 for my wife's office, or buy a 4690K for my gaming rig, thus using the 2500K for my wife's office's computer.
The difference between the two options is 200$.

Worth it?

edit - Wrote 4670k, should have been 4690k

Last edited:
its always lovely to justify upgrades ;) the jump from each gen tends to be 10-15%, not worth upgrading a single gen, but you may see better results from going from sandy to haswell, 32nm to 22nm and all that, personally i would, for the added bonus of the wife getting the 2500k over the G3258

personally i would, for the added bonus of the wife getting the 2500k over the G3258

Curve ball: If I get the G3258, I could justify the expense of buying a SSD for the office computer.

edit - Man I hate how some of the benchmarks comparisons are made. They put a crap gfx card in the rig and then show that there is no FPS difference between 2500K and 4670K, uhhh yeah because both CPUs are waiting after the gfx card. I need some CPU intensive testing benchmarks. Battlefield 4 (64 players) makes my CPU run at 100% while the R9 290x is chugging along 70%-90%.

edit 2 - Correction: It is a 4690K that I was looking at.

Last edited:
You won't see a difference... The 4670k is tougher to cool, unless you de-lid. Not sure you can go over 4.4/4.5 GHz... Meanwhile, your 2500K will certainly go a couple of hundred MHz higher.

If you take your 2500K to 4.7GHz, it will equal more or less a [email protected]/4.3GHz.

Sure, you will "enjoy" PCIE 3, but is it worth the 200$? I don't think so...

Curve ball: If I get the G3258, I could justify the expense of buying a SSD for the office computer.

For normal office tasks, I would absolutely take an SSD and g3258 over an hdd and i5 (though, I'd probably try and OC the g3258 ;)).

I hope to never use another computer which doesn't have an SSD :D

Well, you would need to buy a new motherboard too, since the 2500K and 4690K are on different socket types.

Are you accounting for the cost of buying a new motherboard as well?

i would first ask what this pc will do? second if not much work at all, no sense in wasting a cpu, the G3258@4ghz will make a great work box with a SSD. you dont need a quad core to surf the web and do excel/word.

Agree with the above post about the G3258, I'm running one in my moderate gaming machine (the one in my sig) and its OC'd to 4.5ghz stable (although at 1.39v which would be too high for air cooling, people have hit 4.5ghz at much lower voltage though and with air cooling I just guess I got a dud chip).

Although some games benefit from quad core/multithreaded CPU's, my G3258 has managed to get decent playable framerates in everything I have thrown at it so far and im very impressed considering its cheap as chips, will hold me off for a while!

Back