• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED gtav and dirt 3 steam or disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I am thinking of getting one of these games.
if they are steam downloads, can they be played off line on pc?
are the games stored local or is it a must to be connected to steam?

don't bother to get the GTA5 disks, as soon as you get it installed it downloads another 62 gigs to update.
I hope the game is less of a joke than the company.

Last edited:
You should be able to play all games in 'Offline Mode'
AFAIK you just have to make sure your game files are up to date. That being said, you will have to link up once and a while so it will not work for a completely disconnected computer.

I am connected, I am in a subdivision with crappy throughput and can't run new cable to the road because it would cross about 6 other peoples property.

You will have no problems then. You will not need Offline.

The files are local so internet speed is not an issue on non-multiplayer parts of the game. (other than the original download)

For Dirt 3, wait for it to go on sale. The Steam price right now is too high. You could also buy it HERE.

THIS is a nice site to track all steam sales.

Last edited:
gta5 is a whopping 68 gigs!!!!! so I guess I'll install it to it's own 120 gig ssd, correct?

the rig it's going in has 8 gigs of 2400 ram, I know ram speed will gain me nothing, but will 16 gigs of 1866 ram help with this game?

I don't own the game so I don't know.

It seems that it would help according to THIS thread.

As far as where to install you steam files... I have a 240 gig SSD I use. The 120gig you have will be good, but you might end up filling it very fast depending on how many games you buy (cough, cough, fall sale) :)

I have a hand full of cheap ssds around so no issue up front, further down the road, fall sales, I see the need to add space.

I fell into that hole a while ago, I have just burnt out on my faves and it's time to add some more time and money waisters to the fray.

well, the systems built and ready, 7 dvd's for the install.................. see ya....................................much later................................

it's in and running, I thought this was about cars, all we are doing is killing people, a first person shooter game.
I guess I'll press on with the killing and see if cars ever figure into it.
don't kill the hostages, it ends the game.
don't try a pincer move on the cops, the other two guys are to stupid to figure it out so just follow the moron till the cop kills him and gets him out of you way.

we are now at the point we have CARS INVOLVED, we just made off with 2, but with the keyboard and mouse crap all I can do is run over people on the sidewalk.
how do I hook my pedals and wheel into this game?
I can't find a help file or much in the way of documents.

soooooooooo, now for more fun.
fire it up after diner and the game will not start, says it's missing a .dll file so I get to reinstall this crap game and I'm stuck with a keyboard and mouse..............................
just avoid this game on pc.............

Just run the file integrity check (right click on game title in games list > properties) instead of re downloading. Also yes, it's a game more fit for a controller than kb&m.

I don't have it in games folder, I have it on its own drive.

here's the dialog box

Attachments

• missing dll.JPG
    missing dll.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
no steam, I wanted to avoid the 60 gig download, but even with a disk install the first update is over 60 gigs, so the jokes on me.

last night i was rebooting the system while trying to get the thing going, shut it down, fire it up this morning to work on it some more and it's working again.

Last edited:
Back