• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 CPU Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wuddup

Registered
Hey guys, I recently built a rig by myself. I am a first time builder here, and have prob put a good 60 hours into my computer but it's all been worth it. I started a month or so ago, with a custom CPU loop which was keeping my i7 4.0 around 40 degrees. (Which until my current research I had no problem with)

I digress. I eventually, decide a few weeks later that my GPU was running to hot on GTA for my standards and order my EK MSI 980 Ti water block. I drain my loop an install the GPU block and another radiator. During the process I decided, maybe I could reapply paste on my CPU and snag some better temps out of it.

So finally, I get the loop all back together and turn it on. My GPU is remaining around 25-30 degrees however, my CPU was getting all the way to 70+ degrees. Once again, I drain the loop (which sucks) and I repaste my CPU. Now this time I do a better job but still my GPU remains around 25-33 under full load where as under full load my CPU hits around 60-63. I know that the temps aren't dangerous but they're also annoying. I did spend a lot of time and $$ on this loop and it seems the CPU part is sub par.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this situation.

-Things I'd like to add-

1) I've reapplied paste a total of 3 times.
2) I know they're some bubbles in the system currently.
3) The loop is only about 1 month old total.
4) I didn't change the jet in the CPU block to what is supposed to be optimal for the 1150 socket, but looking at the parts leftover I think that jet may be in there.
5) The thermal grease I used was Alphacool O cool

My specs

-I7 4.0 Devils Canyon
-MSI 980 Ti Gaming
-Asus Maximus Vii Formula
-EVGA 1000 watt Plat+
-Gskill 8 GB sticks (2x)
-ThermalTake Core x9
-Asus DVD/CD RW

The Loop

-EK Evo Supremacy Red Nickel CPU Block
-EK MSI 980 TI TF5 GPU Block
-EK 140 Xres
-EK 360 XE 60 MM (2x)
-EK Vader 2200 RPM (6x)
-EK Compression Fittings
-EK 90 degree fittings
-Phobya Fan Controller
-PrimoFlex Blood Red Tubing
-Silver kill coil

12042786_545747162255296_6840584763808884381_n.jpg

i7 4.0............................... a 4790K I assume?

I don't see a problem here outside of expectations honestly.

One thing I see is that you have a radiator on the bottom that is exhausting warm air into the case and into the radiator up top. That isn't helping things.

You are saying your CPU was around "40C". What loads did you get these temperatures with because that is REALLY low (sounds like a gaming load and not a stress test load).

You're temps seem fine, these I7 4X70 chips tend to be all over the place with temps. All depending on the TIM application under the IHS some will run hotter then others. At 60-70c under load for the Cpu I do not feel there is any issue with your loop, you may just have one of the "hotter" I7 chips. If you want run Prime for 20 minutes and heaven benchmark at the same time with Hwmonitor open then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here. Maybe we will see something but I really don't think there is an issue.

i7 4.0............................... a 4790K I assume?

I don't see a problem here outside of expectations honestly.

One thing I see is that you have a radiator on the bottom that is exhausting warm air into the case and into the radiator up top. That isn't helping things.

You are saying your CPU was around "40C". What loads did you get these temperatures with because that is REALLY low (sounds like a gaming load and not a stress test load).

Yeah, it was GTA 5. It wasn't a stress test, I hadn't really looked into temps to hard pre the finished loop.

In your humble opinion what would be the optimal settings for my fans in my case. The 3 on the rad topside, and the 3 on the bot side. What would you do to optimize the system. As stated I am a noob.

You're temps seem fine, these I7 4X70 chips tend to be all over the place with temps. All depending on the TIM application under the IHS some will run hotter then others. At 60-70c under load for the Cpu I do not feel there is any issue with your loop, you may just have one of the "hotter" I7 chips. If you want run Prime for 20 minutes and heaven benchmark at the same time with Hwmonitor open then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here. Maybe we will see something but I really don't think there is an issue.

So I ran Heaven at 1920x1080 at ULTA setting, with Extreme Tessellation and Prime95 for 20+ minutes. The average temp was lingering around 65ish on the CPU and 33 on Heaven.

Test.png

Last edited:
I really don't feel you have a temp issue, though looking at HWmonitor if you're at stock clocks 1.284 V under load seems a bit much. Maybe when ED pops back on he can confirm.

How to do have the fans set up, bottom rad fans pushing air into the case top fans pulling air out?

It's in the ballpark for sure. The radiator setup is just a bit curious to me though.. I have the same case and both my rads are up top exhausting air out of the case. I have the 200mm up front cranked and added a fan on the side to get more fresh air in.

It's in the ballpark for sure. The radiator setup is just a bit curious to me though.. I have the same case and both my rads are up top exhausting air out of the case.
Thanks Ed, I wasn't sure. As far as the rads go, I didn't pay attention to the case. I'd imagine having both rads exhausting out of the case would be optimal. Though I wonder how much difference it would make.

I know it's after the fact but why did you try to fix something that was not broke? If the CPU temp was 40c before all this, then why reapply the thermal paste? just put the new block on the GPU and done. As for the 2nd rad, move it so hot air is not going through the top rad.

Unless I need to change something out like upgrades and stuff, I never change the thermal paste, but then again the paste I use does not dry out :)

I dont think it would make much difference honestly... its just looks a bit weird to me.

I had all that empty space at the bottom, I didn't want mount the 2nd rad up top as well. I figured it gave the case some depth.

Just to clarify, you did think I had normal temps on the CPU during stress test?

If I mounted the fans differently with the rad, to where to where they pushed air out the bottom, would that make a difference?

I know it's after the fact but why did you try to fix something that was not broke? If the CPU temp was 40c before all this, then why reapply the thermal paste? just put the new block on the GPU and done. As for the 2nd rad, move it so hot air is not going through the top rad.

Unless I need to change something out like upgrades and stuff, I never change the thermal paste, but then again the paste I use does not dry out :)

I mad a newb mistake. That I thought 40 was high before all of this research.

Not sure I understand OP but the temps on the CPU might be a bit high but we don't know what you were getting prior to that. If you saw a 10c-20c+ decline, well I guess that's the best you can do for a hot chip, if it were. Look at your tests, you have a manufactured OC'd CPU @ 4.4. I think those temps fall well in that ball park of an overclock.

Too many variables like what is the ambient temp, are you fans pushing enough air on those radiators @ 16 FPI, how is your air flow setup, what settings is the pump at (1.0-1.5GPM?), etc. If everything was fine tuned, I don't think you'd see a drastic improvement but am a bit surprised with that much rad you're getting that kind of CPU temps.

Back