• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC for video editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you run Windows on a dual cpu system? Not that it's really an option bit I'm just generally curious.

Yessir and it'd be 16c/32t of re-encoding goodness.

If your buddy's got some re-usable parts, a system like this would be within budget and the re-encode performance would be pretty much insane.

Mobo: $262
pair o' 2670 xeons: $680 (that's 'buy it now' pricing on fleabay atm)
32GB ram: $155

Leaves about $500 for other parts.

Last edited:
Yessir and it'd be 16c/32t of re-encoding goodness.

If your buddy's got some re-usable parts, a system like this would be within budget and the re-encode performance would be pretty much insane.

Mobo: $262
pair o' 2670 xeons: $680 (that's 'buy it now' pricing on fleabay atm)
32GB ram: $155

Leaves about $500 for other parts.

Since the end user is having OP build the system for him he likely isn't very savvy and certainly isn't coming from a machine anything like a dual socket server.

If he is making do with whatever he has now, going with an X99 board and a 5820k will be a huge upgrade and will serve him well for years to come. I would avoid going with a (old) socket 2011 system because it's likely going to cause more problems down the road than it is worth. New computer with new parts and a warranty is what I would do for someone who lacks the knowledge to assemble their own system.

Definitely an excellent point!

I was just trying to give a couple alternate views with the focus on re-encode performance. Even though 'old', a pair of those xeons would whip a single 5820k to a fine pulp on the re-encoding front. The other issue with the 'new' platform is that it's still pretty pricey.

Again, though...you make a great point.

The build is on hold. Having his rifle and pistol range built cost more than expected. He also has to pay 5k for internet to be installed at his home. He said closer to January is when he'll probably go forward with the PC.

All good. Fun to chat about this stuff anyway. This means we get to re-visit the topic in Dec/Jan. Woohoo! :)

The build is on hold. Having his rifle and pistol range built cost more than expected. He also has to pay 5k for internet to be installed at his home. He said closer to January is when he'll probably go forward with the PC.

Why in the world would it cost him 5k to have internet installed at his home?! What company is that, and what are the other options in his area, because that is flat out stupid?! The ISP should be eating that cost in anticipation of customer satisfaction and continued service. There is absolutely no reason for them to be charging him that much!

Why in the world would it cost him 5k to have internet installed at his home?! What company is that, and what are the other options in his area, because that is flat out stupid?! The ISP should be eating that cost in anticipation of customer satisfaction and continued service. There is absolutely no reason for them to be charging him that much!

If he's having a gun range put in he's probably a ways out of civilization. Might even be putting in fiber or something.

I moving a couple miles outside of a decent sized town and would have to pay the cable company to get service there. For now it's deal with crappy dsl

Nothing out of the ordinary at all. Take for example my mother's last 2 home locations, the last was EXACTLY 1 mile from the city limit, coincidentally the cable line stopped shortly after that city limit sign as well, Charter wanted $10k to run aerial cables 1 mile to her place. Currently her new place is somewhere else outside of another town (how else are you going to get 30 acres of land) and the cable line stops 1.2miles away, and Charter wants money to extend the line via aerial cables there as well.

Outrageous when you think that if they extended the lines at my mother's current place, Charter could possibly obtain 50+ new subscribers down that road alone.

There is absolutely no reason for a company that provides an internet connection to charge someone for anything other than what is on their property. I would tell them to suck an egg though a straw for $5/$10k.

There are no existing lines. Everything has to be ran. He has to pay if he wants it. They are not obligated to run the wire. He is outside their service area. Hence why he had to pony up the cash. He said he'd run the wire seeing as that's what he does already but they won't let him.

I completely disagree with this practice, and with any practice that forces customers to pay for equipment that will never belong to them, outside of leasing/renting the actual gateway hardware for a reasonable fee, etc.

In my opinion, that's like forcing someone to buy you a new car so that you can transport them to work. It's not a good business practice at all, and some day I hope people realize that and start telling ISPs where to go and what to do when they get there. If I had to pay to have lines run for my internet, my ISP wouldn't have my business, and they'd be out almost $2500 a year.

I completely disagree with this practice, and with any practice that forces customers to pay for equipment that will never belong to them, outside of leasing/renting the actual gateway hardware for a reasonable fee, etc.

Then start an ISP and run your own cabling. Not worth a company dropping thousands of dollars for one customer. Theres a limit to "customer service", and spending thousands of dollars to get what, 30-50$ a month? Be sensible here, it sounds like hes off the beaten path quite a ways.

If I had to pay to have lines run for my internet, my ISP wouldn't have my business, and they'd be out almost $2500 a year.

Sounds like you have internet already, are spending way too much for it, and aren't really in the guys shoes at all.

Then start an ISP and run your own cabling. Not worth a company dropping thousands of dollars for one customer. Theres a limit to "customer service", and spending thousands of dollars to get what, 30-50$ a month? Be sensible here, it sounds like hes off the beaten path quite a ways.

Sounds like you have internet already, are spending way too much for it, and aren't really in the guys shoes at all.

So I'm the only one here that pays more than $30-$50 a month for internet and TV? I doubt that, and regardless, you're missing my point entirely. It costs them next to nothing compared to the money they get in return for running these lines, not to mention that once they are run, other homes along the way become potential customers. So yes, it is indeed "worth it".

Oh, and by the way Bob, if I had the money it would cost to start an ISP in my area, I wouldn't be a Material Handling Equipment Operator at a factory, you can believe that. The fact of the matter is almost anyone has at least two options as far as choosing an ISP, and that competition alone should inspire at least one of them to connect the people who live outside of cities to the internet without paying for the infrastructure to be built directly. No, I'm not in the OP's shoes at all, because I would flat out refuse, which is my point. The more you defend any companies' malpractice in their business, the more they can get away with.

Back