• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which quiet case under $200 has the best vibration control and isn't an oven?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

As per title. I'm aiming for as close as one can get to inaudible on air without spending a fortune (if I had a fortune to spend, I'd go water), but avoiding vibration is more important to me (for health reasons) than totally eliminating fan whisper. In the past, I had practically 100% quiet cases but with noticeable vibration, and that was bad. Bonus if it can somehow make me stop hearing the 80mm fan in my OCZ PSU, though (I hate the *******), e.g. by burying the PSU deeper in the case or enabling the removal/replacement of the 80mm fan.

I mean effective, smart vibration suppression, not something that would kill the vibrations but at the expense of adding a dozen audible fans or something. And shouldn't be too hot or too sensitive to bad airflow.

Well, there is always the Coolermaster HAF X, great for airflow, and you can replace the fans with low noise ones if you want. *only issue with the case is, its like a .50AE Desert Eagle.......Idiot Big*

i have a haf X, and i wouldnt say its the quietest design around, lots of mesh, lots of space for sound to escape, i think the OP might be looking for something in between high air flow cases and locked up ovens

i have a haf X, and i wouldnt say its the quietest design around, lots of mesh, lots of space for sound to escape, i think the OP might be looking for something in between high air flow cases and locked up ovens

Mostly going for vibration avoidance. I think that normally tends to suggest thick and heavy silenced ovens, but I've witnessed even those fail, e.g. one such thick iron box with a heavy price tag failed to prevent a nasty 80mm CPU fan from making the use of my neighbour's computer a nightmare. I'm one of those guys who put rubber washers on screws and rubber frames under fans etc.

LOL you posted as I was typing, now I redoing my post so as to not look like an idiot.

Yeah, I tend to use gaskets on inexpensive fans, as they are typically unbalanced.

I think the issue with fan noise usually comes up later due to lack of dusting off the blades. A few get more dust, get unbalanced, and its like a ceiling fan after a few years, you get that nice noise as it swings side to side.

Typically if I get a really annoying fan, I replace it whenever I can.

But as far as vibration absorbing........now you have me curious....

Last edited:
All things being equal, the case will only do so much. The internals play a big part. Mainly the fans/HDD/GPU cooler.

I am assuming *dangerous* that you have the hard drive mounted with gaskets to dampen vibration?
I've tried *years ago* a sound dampening padding for the inside of a chassis, but it was the cheap stuff CompUSA had, and didn't really make a noticeable difference.

Check out the case my server is in, the Corsair Carbide 330R.

The Antec P18x series should be just fine, I used to own the Antec P182 back in 09 and it was a nice and decently thick feeling steel/plastic case that was quiet.

LOL you posted as I was typing, now I redoing my post so as to not look like an idiot.

Sorry!

Yeah, I tend to use gaskets on inexpensive fans, as they are typically unbalanced.

Kinda doubles the cost, though, doesn't it?

I think the issue with fan noise usually comes up later due to lack of dusting off the blades. A few get more dust, get unbalanced, and its like a ceiling fan after a few years, you get that nice noise as it swings side to side.

Typically if I get a really annoying fan, I replace it whenever I can.

Thanks, well, I sometimes end up wiping the blades with a lot of attention to detail (when I remember), but there's always age to take into account and just simply replace older fans. Obvious things like this sometimes escape me.

But as far as vibration absorbing........now you have me curious....

I've used felt and rubber feet before (sometimes under the case and sometimes in between the PSU case and the computer case, for stabilization). Results vary. Sometimes stabilizing one element ends up rocking the whole case. In the end result, you end up tightening this and loosening that until it kinda works the way you want. Being a total amateur and bad at physics surely doesn't help you get to that point any faster. But I need to do something about vibrations because I have a bad case of something to do with the labyrinth/hypersensitivity to that type of thing, so I have no choice.

All things being equal, the case will only do so much. The internals play a big part. Mainly the fans/HDD/GPU cooler.

Yeah. I always try to get rid of everything <120mm. However, I usually can't get 100% there.

I am assuming *dangerous* that you have the hard drive mounted with gaskets to dampen vibration?

Yeah, my old big phat iron coffin from Chieftec had them in standard. Obviously not Scythe quality but still not too awful. Probably gonna migrate my 3.5'' to 5.25'' bay with spacers anyway, just to clear the air path (and get rid of the lower HDD rack in the new case).

I've tried *years ago* a sound dampening padding for the inside of a chassis, but it was the cheap stuff CompUSA had, and didn't really make a noticeable difference.

With my previous CPU cooler, which was very heavy, I had good results putting a thin book under the case just on the opposing side. Simply putting the case in just a little skewed position changed the balance enough to put the case at ease. Worked better than fancy felt/teflon/whatever stickers.

I had good results

Last edited:
i know your pain op i promise you. the cure for your suffering is the fractal define r5 with a motherboard with fan control and some 1200 rpm pwm fans that can spin down to 600rpm or so. i love mine. i've been through so many cases.

I have three Fractal Design cases and I love them. Two are the full tower with the noise absorbsion material. The power supply rests on rubber feet, the drive cages have rubber grommets. In all, they are about as quiet as I have ever dealt with.

Kinda doubles the cost, though, doesn't it?

I got some high heat RTV from the auto store. Makes its own gasket. Good for extreme temps , and can peel off later...sometimes needs a little work :) Fishtank silicone or window/kitchen silocon sealant can work as well. There are even some brands that are made to peel off when done
Thanks, well, I sometimes end up wiping the blades with a lot of attention to detail (when I remember), but there's always age to take into account and just simply replace older fans. Obvious things like this sometimes escape me.

I've used felt and rubber feet before (sometimes under the case and sometimes in between the PSU case and the computer case, for stabilization). Results vary. Sometimes stabilizing one element ends up rocking the whole case. In the end result, you end up tightening this and loosening that until it kinda works the way you want. Being a total amateur and bad at physics surely doesn't help you get to that point any faster. But I need to do something about vibrations because I have a bad case of something to do with the labyrinth/hypersensitivity to that type of thing, so I have no choice.
Try nonskid floorpads from the hardware store. The kind that go on the bottom of chairs so they dont scuff the floor. Adhesive backing and a felt bottom. Might make a difference for ya

Have you thought about a gel pad to mount under your case? It should (in theory anyways) let you absorb a fair bit of vibration from the case itself, because the pad isn't exactly solid.

This might work

Its untested, but It seems like it work somewhat. If not, you have a handy gel pad for your feet in your kitchen while doing dishes etc etc.

Also, When looking for a new case, if above does not resolve your issues, consider cases with large fans. The larger, lower rpm fans make significantly less noise than the smaller ones, and move equal to, or even more air than smaller ones.

NZXT Phantom I had was super quiet, and I didn't really notice any vibrations, but then again, our setups and circumstances could be vastly different. It had 3 120 mm fans, and a 200 mm fan. Theres room in the front for a 140 intake fan, So that can reduce the noise as compared to the 120. And you don't need the 120 mm crossflow fans, unless you are raiding some HDD's. So cut those, and reduce your total noise.

Run two 200 mm fans on top, and a 230 mm on the side and you don't need the 120 mm exhaust fan in the rear, and while it isn't optimal, it will perform just fine for up to average level overclocks. /shrug, whatever you decide.

Last edited:
This question might be better asked on the SilentPC forum.

That being said, case noise can come from a variety of sources. Hard drive platters spinning away causing vibration to go through the case. Even those cases with rubber screw mounts for HDDs still transmit too much vibration to the case. Fans, which when tested in free open air, can be the quietest fans ever tested at all speeds, yet are loud at all speeds once it's placed anywhere near a grill. Then of course is the case itself, which could be the best looking case with plenty of weight too it, but if not built to close tolerances, can still rattle once HDDs and fans are installed.

Other then air/fan(motor) noise, all other noise can be alleviated through various means (and even air/fan noise can be curtailed). I would suggest, just buy the case you think fits your needs best, and then tweak it from there.

Back