• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built in-GPU - how does it works?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hello I would like to ask how exactly build GPU in processors works exactly,
Here is an example how I'm understeanding it, and I would like to ask for correcting me:

So lets say we compare 2 processors:

CPU1:

4ghz
4 cores
8mb cache
GPU inside.

CPU2:
4ghz
4 cores
8mb cache
no GPU inside

My question now is:
If im getting CPU with GPU inside, does it gives me more FPS in games? or the graphic effectivency wont change at all, because I have already a GRAPHIC card in my motherboard plugged in?
Im asking because im totally behind with time, before when You had motherboard with GPU in, it wasnt working, when you had an Graphi card plugged in, I mean TWO GPU couldn't work at same time, how it is with processor.

And also about RAM, now few CPU's are having RAM inside, how it works....

Please give me lesson if someone could, or at least link to a web where i can learn it correctly.

Not an expert but I think that the internal GPU is disabled when you use an external Graphic Card. Simply put if you use an external graphics card plug the monitor into the graphics card. With internal graphics on CPU plug the monitor into the motherboard. This may all change once DX12 is implemented.

Not sure in INtel, but AMD can use its iGPU with select discrete GPUs. It can also let the discrete GPU idle while it does 2D type of stuff... Lucid virtue I believe is what you would want to look up.

With Intel the internal GPU is disabled when you are using a discrete graphics card. So, the Intel GPU provides no real benefit in terms of graphics quality or FPS when a discrete (separate) graphics card is in use in the same system.

But, as EarthDog said above, AMD is a bit different and you can use their iGPU together in Crossfire (provided that your discrete GPU and iGPU are compatible with one another) when you have an AMD graphics card in the same system.

Your name is now Iren.

Iren,

Integrated GPUs on a chip have been around for a long time. They were first put into your smart phones and similar devices. AMD started to combine their GPUs onto die packages to compete with low end systems (which Intel usually dominates). Now here are some facts:

Specific AMD APUs can be linked to onboard GPUs.
Intel iGPUs are design specific to Intel, thus they will never be used with another GPU.
iGPUs utilize either RAM built into the SoC or the RAM connected to the GPU.
AMD Zen APUs are believed to utilize the HBM scheme, this means that a giant blank space of RAM will exist on the CPU in which both the CPU and GPU can utilize.
iGPUs are not any better than regular GPUs. These are shrunk down dies with a lot of handy cap.
AMD Zen APUs are believed to be in the same pipeline as the CPU. This means that a CPU command can be pushed onto the GPU without creating a large headroom.
Intel iGPUs are just GPUs for their CPUs. They usually have no means of processing large data sets that could be done on Nvidia CUDA cores or AMD FirePRO cards.

If you would like me to dive into more about these unique SoC CPUs, I can definitely do so.

Dolk, thank You for this huge answer, I hope i understeand you correct;

In this case when I'm about to buy INTEL i7 [for an example] CPU, the iGPU dosent matter at all, because im about to get GTX970...

All what doses change is the RAM wich can be inside processor, it seems best option is getting an CPU with RAM inside than picking one with iGPU inside, am I right?

Just a note...

Specific amd gpus can be linked with DISCRETE gpus. The term 'onboard' generally refers to an iGPU to most people.
igpu use SYSTEM ram, not discrete GPU ram. You see notable performance gains when using faster system ram with an iGPU.

Last edited:
Understeand Earthdog.
Still, if i have GPU like Gtx970, the iGPU dosent matter at all if i good understood.

It seems that best solution for POwerbust is searching for an CPU with RAM build in, it should give more effectivicy

If its iGPU can use it, yes. BUt the only CPU with 'ram' built into it was Broadwell based... but its iGPU, though better than haswell, still isn't great (neither are AMD's offerings).

got the point, close the topic please.

Tanks to alll for the patience and help :)

Back