• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

Putting together a Mercury S3 case. Installing a Corsair H100 with 2x 120 fans in the top. Installing a Dual 140 Rad in the front. Has a single 140 fan in the rear of case. Question is how do I set up the fans as far as blow into case or pull out of case. Case has solid doors on it.

I am probably going to get blown out of the water, but having the 140mm draw air in, and have the dual 120s as exhaust on top, doesn't that sound correct?

I mean, warm air rises, and having air coming first through a radiator then into the case just doesn't sound the best IMO.

I have no water experience, don't rely on me.

Top and front are both Rads. The H100 on top is cooling 4790K the Rad in front with 2x 140 fans will be cooling a 980 Hydro. Single fan at rear of case can be intake or Exhaust.

I totally didnt even see the line about the front.....long...day.

Meh, wait for the other greens/blues and the like, I think in terms of balancing airflow in with airflow out, and that is not likely the way to go......

I am probably going to get blown out of the water, but having the 140mm draw air in, and have the dual 120s as exhaust on top, doesn't that sound correct?

I mean, warm air rises, and having air coming first through a radiator then into the case just doesn't sound the best IMO.

I have no water experience, don't rely on me.

Warm air rises in a closed container with no airflow due to the warm air is lighter, like oil and water in a container. In a forced air situation, ie PC case air is pushed by fans. Typically we have always had exhaust out the back and top. As long as air flow is good, it don't matter.

Well then, would the dual fans exhaust, with the CPU rad and rear 140 as intake be the best option?
Personally would have thought intake via rear 140 and least heat producing of the two water systems, with exhaust being the hottest element.

Front intake, top back exhaust. You want balanced. I don't see any better way than that. Once installed run tests. Then try it with the case side off, run tests again. Then you will know. Change it around if you want.

Warm air rises in a closed container with no airflow due to the warm air is lighter, like oil and water in a container. In a forced air situation, ie PC case air is pushed by fans. Typically we have always had exhaust out the back and top. As long as air flow is good, it don't matter.

+1 :thup:

Test out with front intake with top and rear as exhaust or Front and top as intake so all the rads get fresh cool air and rear as exhaust.

Ran into a problem with the H100 on top. I can only fit a single 120 fan on it. The second fan hits the front rad.
I would think a single 120 fan will cool the 4790k as long as I do not go nuts trying to overclock it.

Back