• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about APUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackwebb1970

Registered
I was at Fry's the other day and one of the sells guys was saying that if you put a discrete graphics card with a FM2 APU the thing would turn itself into just a regular ten core CPU. I thought the guy was full of it but then thought maybe he was right. So I put it to the best computer forum in the world do you get a way cool ten core CPU or a over priced quad core APU if you put a graphics card in it

No, not a ten core CPU. That's an absurd statement. Adding a discrete GPU to the board will not affect the number of processing cores available. It will bypass the GPU on die cores, however so that only the CPU side of the APU will be doing work. AMD claims that the work load of the CPU cores is shared by the GPU cores in their latest APU products but that's more hype than anything else at this point. It is probably only true for certain very specialized tasks.

Trent's is right here. In certain applications, the CPU can use the iGPU as a GPGPU to execute programs that are tailored to doing this.

The key is that applications need to be written to take advantage of this feature.

It's a very cool concept, especially considering that the memory is truly shared between the CPU and the GPU in such a manor that they can access the same blocks of memory at any moment

Be very careful before buying anything retail based on the sales clerk recommendation. The "technologists" at places like Staples and Frys often don't really know much (if the did they would be working somewhere else) and even if they do they want to sell you something. Come here first.

Dead on trents... retail employees should only point you where a product is IMHO. The APU's are VERY interesting... I am coming from a 955BE to an A10-7870k.

For performance reference:
attachment.php

Notice the 955 scores, and the FX4130 in relation to the A10 at various clock speeds.

I was at Fry's the other day and one of the sells guys was saying that if you put a discrete graphics card with a FM2 APU the thing would turn itself into just a regular ten core CPU. I thought the guy was full of it but then thought maybe he was right. So I put it to the best computer forum in the world do you get a way cool ten core CPU or a over priced quad core APU if you put a graphics card in it

If it was truly the case AMD would be doing much better business selling their cpu's.

Well its the same old story with the computer world isn't it? I mean the hardware has to be there first before the software catches up.... HSA is great concept but how long before popular software actually uses it?

Well its the same old story with the computer world isn't it? I mean the hardware has to be there first before the software catches up.... HSA is great concept but how long before popular software actually uses it?

It depends if Intel can get behind this concept. Until the majority of mainstream computing gets behind a concept, it will forever flounder on the fringes.

Back