• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Project Log] The Man-Cave!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey Blaylock...just to let you know...I am NEVER showing my wife this thread...NEVER...If I do, I won't play golf again for a very long time as my "honey do" list would explode!

Believe me I get it! Lil momma wants me to start right in on the Taproom but that's not gonna happen. There's a reason I wanted do do this through the winter and have it finished before summer.

A couple of years from now, when the new house is built and I'm not saving every penny I'm sure I'll be retrofitting the basement just like this.

the sconce lighting is a very good choice, they look very nice.
did you or the little bee pick them out?

Those were all me. In fact Lil momma wasn't even on board with them till they were up. She loves em now though. :)

It's been a while since I've updated this. In truth it's been a while since I've worked on this project. Here in Michigan we had 2 nice weekends and I put good use to them. But it's time to get back to work and try and wrap this project up for the summer.

So IIRC I left off with the cabinets. Here's a pic with them all together. Never mind the dust, I'll clean all that when I'm completely done with this. Also, if you look the left of the cabinet you can see one of my test boards. I was checking the color and it looks to be spot on. :thup:
View attachment 178581

I added a piece to the top rear of the center cabinet to help support the vertical piece that is there to hide the wires. This extra support will also help the keep the top rear support together as I needed to cut a hole for a wire pass through hole.
View attachment 178582

With the cabinets back against the wall and in position I noticed there was a 1/2" mis-alignment between the conduit and the pass-through. No problem. Just add a 1/2" spacer and we're golden.
View attachment 178583

View attachment 178584

And now for a surprise feature. Here I have an old 90W PSU that I used to use to leak test my water cooling loop with-out having to power up my rigs. Surprisingly for a cheap brand it's still running within specs. Anyhow, it's time to retire it from PC's all together and in it's semi-retired state it will now power the fans that will vent the cabinets. This is also where that large sheet of modders mesh will come into play. (P.S.) I plan on updating the Jerry-rigged power switch with a nicer vandal style switch.)
View attachment 178585

View attachment 178586

View attachment 178587

These were all minor improvements. Now for the big stuff. In preparation for the next chapter of the Man Cave (i.e. next winters project), I'm laying down a laminate floor for the bar and bathroom area. The flooring is an 8mm laminate by Mohawk. I first cleaned the floor thoroughly. Then I layed down a 6mm plastic sheet for a moisture barrier. After that comes the sub floor. This is a closed cell foam that also acts as a moisture barrier. You can never have to much, right? And yes, that is duct tape holding it together. It worked better than the factory tape that came with it. Finally we can start laying down the flooring. The Mohawk brand was very easy to work with. I had originally purchased Hampton Bay, but that stuff is garbage. Don't waste your money on it if you ever do one of these projects. Anyhow, picks, you wanna see picks.
View attachment 178588

View attachment 178589

View attachment 178590

View attachment 178591

View attachment 178592

Now to add the trim around the flooring and clean up the excess sub floor. Mohawk uses a track system. I used a 1/4" spacer (i.e. 5 gallon paint stirrer) to allow for the flooring to breath and a Sharpie to mark where to drill the anchor holes. It works best to leave some of the track exposed for the next piece to lock into. This will help make your seems flawless.
View attachment 178593

View attachment 178594

View attachment 178595

View attachment 178596

View attachment 178597

...and naturally the first thing a man does after installing the Taproom flooring... Bring in the refrigerator and stock that bad boy up. Notice the top shelf beer is on top and the bottom shelf crap is down there. (I have friends that actually PREFER some of that crap) :sick:

View attachment 178598

View attachment 178599

In our next update I'm hoping to have the counter top on the cabinets and the modders mesh in place. I'll be ordering carpeting soon too. I can't friggin' wait!

Looking very nice. I'm thirsty now.

I personally would have used white quarter round to finish by the baseboard but that's what makes them personal choices.

I have to keep my wife away from this thread so I don't end up having to redo our basement.

Thanks. I did consider the white. In truth I may switch it still. Also, once the bar is build there'll only be about 3 feet visible. lol. :shrug:

I would have undercut the baseboards and not used quarter-round at all, but that's just me :p

Also, the friends that prefer the crap beer, they bring their own to my house or they don't drink.
I refuse to buy/support garbage beer :chair:

They did and left it for when they come back. I was just kind enough to keep it cold for them. The fact that they were unable to finish it tells you something about them :D

They did and left it for when they come back. I was just kind enough to keep it cold for them. The fact that they were unable to finish it tells you something about them :D

So they buy light so they can drink it.... then don't drink it....
I guess I would keep it cold if I had extra fridge space too :p

hey i do prefer a good beer, but if its for free its for me, im not above drinking coors or budlight, especially when camping or out on the lake good beer gets your drunk too fast ;).

The only beer I will dump out is Miller Lite.

dont know if ive ever tried it, another is keystone, tried to drink it a few times literally gagged every time couldnt even finish one beer.

The only beer I will dump out is Miller Lite.

dont know if ive ever tried it, another is keystone, tried to drink it a few times literally gagged every time couldnt even finish one beer.

While stationed overseas, many years ago, I learned that the best beer is always free beer. Regaurdless of brand.

Last edited:
Back